Best Projector for a Sports Bar?

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
Hi guys,

I was wondering what would be the best projector for my sports bar? It's rather well lit and I was wondering if this is even a viable option.

Here is the space I'm looking at, and I was thinking of a screen size of 120". For reference the TV that is on the wall now is a 51" LCD.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

Attachments

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
Oh, and for the record I'd like to keep the budget under $5000.00 if possible.

Thanks in advance.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Oh, and for the record I'd like to keep the budget under $5000.00 if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Is this your home or for a business?

Epson HC8350 would be perfect. it's around $1200 and would do just fine. It's got very high light output for such a large screen and is a steal for the money. No sense in spending any more for that space!

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
Thanks for the reply. This is for my business. Like I said my ability to control ambient light is, lets say, less than desirable. I own a sports bar right on the beach on the Gulf of Mexico so for about a half an hour everyday I have direct sunlight streaming through the windows. This doesn't concern me too much because, like I said, it's only a half hour, but there is a good amount of light in the bar during the day.

What type of screen should I look for to cut down on some of the ambient light issues?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The only screen that may work is a DNP Supernova or Screen Innovations Black Diamond. They are very similar and carry a hefty price tag, but are amazing in their rejection of ambient light.

Then get the brightest projector you possibly can with the money you have left.

Frankly, I would go with the 80" Sharp LCD for under $5,000. It's going to serve you better over the long term I believe.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If you get the proper projector you won't need a super expensive screen because you won't need nearly the lighting.

The Epson 8350 may be bright enough if the screen isn't too large, and directional lighting doesn't aim toward the screen. I think it is certainly work a crack since you can always return it to best buy if it doesn't work out. I realize it isn't ideal, but with sports contrast ratio is not a major concern because games tend to be very high in brightness. 1080p is not necessary since TV only goes 720p anyway. Because of that I would also recommend looking at the Epson 705. For a screen you can paint one on the wall or buy a premade. If you paint one I'd recommend a white screen because brightness is what makes for great sports viewing in my experience. Screen mounting can be easily done with toggles in most cases. The greatest challenge will be mounting the projector. Before doing this at the very least trial the projector and screen from a table mount to ensure it will work. While a large LCD does have it's advantages I think a projector would be an awesome addition.

Consider hiring a reputable installer. I know it costs a bit, but it can make life much easier. How are you setup for audio?

I'm not sure I see the value in this setup. You got a pool table over there.

Last edited:
strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
I am pretty sure the HC8350 won't be bright enough. I have an 8500UB and I personally don't feel it is any good without a very controlled lighting environment. I am with BMXTRX in that an LCD TV would better suit your needs. You could also consider a presentation/business projector but there aren't any home theater projectors AFAIK that would work to my expectations in your environment.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Let me be clear - I would never, in a million years, recommend a sub 3,000 lumen projector for this type of setup. It would be a waste of money.

Contrast ratios don't matter in business.

That is, manufacturer specified maximum contrast ratios mean nothing without proper light control. A single candle in a home theater can turn a 1,000:1 contrast ratio into a 50:1 contrast ratio! It's all about lumens once there is light in the room.

The Supernova is a very expensive screen... But, it's also unlike anything you've ever seen before. I'm sorry for those who have not personally witnessed what that screen looks like for themselves, but frankly, nobody who hasn't seen it should make any statements about whether or not it makes sense.

In this environment, it not only makes sense, it is the difference between something which looks 'typical' to something which can look spectacular.

The DNP Supernova Core screen can be had for between $2,000 to $2,500 for 100-120" 16:9 diagonals.

Throw in a projector from near the top of this list...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=1200&p=3000&w=&r=&br=&ll=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=Wide+(16:9-10)&dvi=2&td=&i=d&is=&sort=brt&sz=15

And you will be very happy with the results.

We actually use the top projector on that list in our office. The Sanyo. We've put it head to head with a long list of different projectors and it is far closer to full specification for brightness and despite some visible screen door, it produces accurate colors and has solid video handling capabilities.

We've also used it with the Supernova and we've tested other projectors with the Supernova. The difference in our non-light controlled training room is astounding when using our normal matte white screen and using the Supernova.

Bottom line, if I were to get a projection setup, for his exact situation and the 80" Sharp wouldn't cut the mustard, then I would go with a 110" 16:9 Supernova and most likely the Sanyo PLC-WM4500.

On a budget I might go ahead and try out the Optoma TH1060p.

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I essentially have an installer on retainer, we just upgraded almost all of our TV's in the bar. Right now we have about 40 LCD's and plasmas ranging in size from 32" to 65". The area you see in the photo is really the only wall where putting a screen this big is even feasible. What you don't see is that there is a bar that seats about 50 people and a seating area of another 40 or so that all have a relatively clear view of that wall.

I figured that the screen would be pricey because of the light issue and I'm fine with that. As far as price goes I'm not set hard and firm on that $5000.00 number, it's just kind of the ballpark I want to be in. I was just trying to stay out of the $150,000.00 media wall ballpark:)rolleyes::eek::D) and still have a "WOW" factor.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
OP, if you decide to take an advice from anyone - it should be BMXTRIX.
He's most knowledge in projectors, more than anyone I know.
If he tells you that 2500 Ansi projector wont work with tons of ambient light - then it wont.

I'm dealing with similar issue - our conference room is brightly lid, yet managers expect bright and sharp picture. We have $3000 4500 Ansi projector and it's not exactly too bright ether ...

If he says you need a special screen - then you need it to get best result or waste $5000 and still have a mediocre result

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
Thanks again. I've looked at the list of projectors that were recommended and now it's time to choose.

Thanks also BMXTRIX as the screen was a real sticking point for me. Which do you think is the best, the Supernova or the Black Diamond? That is, if you had to choose between the two and money was no obstacle.

If this were a question about displays, receivers, speakers, ect., I wouldn't be having a problem, but I know absolutely nothing about projectors and screens.

Thanks again for helping me. You guys are great!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
OP, if you decide to take an advice from anyone - it should be BMXTRIX.
He's most knowledge in projectors, more than anyone I know.
If he tells you that 2500 Ansi projector wont work with tons of ambient light - then it wont.

I'm dealing with similar issue - our conference room is brightly lid, yet managers expect bright and sharp picture. We have $3000 4500 Ansi projector and it's not exactly too bright ether ...

If he says you need a special screen - then you need it to get best result or waste $5000 and still have a mediocre result
I would definitely agree with his recommendations, that 4500 lumen Viewsonic is a great projector too. I've personally used one in a church setting that has a lot more light than the bar and it is fantastic. Just realize the TV will be easier. That said I'd go projector.

I would never install a 4000 lumen or lower projector in a conference room, bar or any location.(forget my previous comment) It is too much effort to have it not work. I am very interested in that screen BMX is talking about. I may have to look that up.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I won't make a recommendation between the BD and SN screens because I'm not familiar with the BD screen. I think we may have a SN screen at work and the Sanyo projector, so I may be able to take a photo. Unfortunately, I don't think I can for a while since I'm working at the Pentagon this week.

If I do get by the office, I will try to take a comparison photo between the two.

I think both screens are very similar in how they are built.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I won't make a recommendation between the BD and SN screens because I'm not familiar with the BD screen. I think we may have a SN screen at work and the Sanyo projector, so I may be able to take a photo. Unfortunately, I don't think I can for a while since I'm working at the Pentagon this week.

If I do get by the office, I will try to take a comparison photo between the two.

I think both screens are very similar in how they are built.
The Black Diamond screen is incredible stuff, but I think it is overpriced a bit. If it brings in enough business it is certainly worth it. You can do a lot of big screen events with a projector to bring in business. Having superior sound and video will really make the difference. It is worth considering upgrading the Audio too. Something along JTR lines would be fantastic. I'd be visiting your place if it was up here and you had that setup.

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
Ok, maybe my google-fu is weak, but where can I find Supernova Core screens? I've been to DNP's website and called my "local" dealer but have yet to get a call back. Is there anywhere on the web here in the US I can order these?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
PM me I may be able to get you pricing information on the different sizes. I'm working on trying to setup as an Internet dealer, but as of right now I do have access to their stuff.

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
Just a little update. I decided to go with the Supernova Core 120" screen and the Sanyo PLC-WM4500L projector. Thanks to everyone who helped me make my decision, and especially BMXTRIX for his valuable input.

I'll try to post some pics after it gets installed sometime next week.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
you ever get stuff set up? Love to see some pictures of your bar! :D

Don't suppose you'll have an "Audioholics Members" discount will you? :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis