Best powered TV antenna?

M

MerlinMacuser

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>My brother would like to stick with broadcast TV for a while until he can upgrade his system. He just moved to an area where reception is not very good. Years ago I tried a powered TV antenna and was not impressed. How are they now?

Also, is the Terk55 becoming obsolete? They are selling for $100 in stores but for half that on eBay and there seems to be no shortage of auctions but nearly empty shelves in stores.</font>

I

im timmy

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#A8A8A8'>Merlin, not knowing your location it would be hard to recomend a particular antenna for your situation. If you are interested in the tv55 a check at antennaweb.org can help you decide if that tenna will work for tour location. Coincidently I recently asked about the tv55 on AVS and was told to avoid it like the plague. I wanted to mount a small incospicuous uhf/vhf tenna on the chimney for locals here in Chicagoland, btw I'm in a townhome and the bylaws say &quot;no antennas&quot;. I had a installer put up a channelmaster3010 stealthtenna. I'm about 25-30 miles southwest of chicago. The 3010 has been up for a week and the signals are strong, I did use the optional amplifier (3038) to power it but found it really wasn't necessary from where I'm at. If size and cosmetics are important to you for a antenna I would recommend the 3010 over the tv55if you are within range of signals for it. Nothing against the terk but it would need to be an eve mount of sort, and that isn't practical for everyone's installation. Again check antennaweb.org to see what ype of antenna will work best for you and then maybe checkout the channelmaster and wineguard websites for more info.</font>

M

MerlinMacuser

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the links and the advice. They live in a condo developement in Auburn Hills Michigan just past Oakland University. When I was a student there, this area was fairly remote. Now it is part of the suburban sprawl. There are no particularily tall buildings in the way, just the curvature of the earth due to the distance from the signal source.

I'm going to check at Radio Shack and a local specialty TV store for an indoor model amplified antenna. Your links gave me a good place to start the research.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis