Best opening lines ever

T

tylerdurden

Audioholic Intern
Openers only ladies and gents. Save the most quotable for another thread.

Some of my favorites

1. Fight Club - "With a gun barrel between your teeth you speak only in vowels"

2. Goodfellas - "As far back as I could remember I always wanted to be a gangster"

3. Fallen - "I want to tell you about the time I almost died"

Please feel free to contribute any worthy selections

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
V for Vendetta is loaded is memorable quotes.

This is the opening line, but in the next scene, there is a bunch of good lines which I have stated below.

"Remember, remember, the Fifth of November,/ The Gunpowder Treason and Plot... / I know of no reason/ Why the Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot... But what of the man? I know his name was Guy Fawkes and I know, in his 1605, he attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament. But who was he really? What was he like? We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world. I've witnessed first hand the power of ideas, I've seen people kill in the name of them, and die defending them... but you cannot kiss an idea, cannot touch it, or hold it... ideas do not bleed, they do not feel pain, they do not love... And it is not an idea that I miss, it is a man... A man that made me remember the Fifth of November. A man that I will never forget."

Other goodies in the next couple scenes.

"The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him, disdaining fortune/with his brandish'd steel, which smoked with bloody execution..."

"We are oft to blame in this, - / 'Tis too much proved - that with devotion's visage/ And pious action we do sugar o'er/ The devil himself"

And who could forget this,

"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V."

Pwned.

SheepStar

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
"...I was born a poor black child..." -Steve Martin's opening in The Jerk (1979)

"Excuse me, can you tell me how to get to the medical school. I'm supposed to be doing a lecture in 20 minutes and my drivers a bit lost." -Jim Carrey Dumb & Dumber (1993)

"I believe in America." The Godfather (1971)

These are ones that first came to my mind. Now watch me get red chicklets for putting The Jerk and Dumb & Dumber in the same post with The Godfather! :D

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
The best Opening dialogue exchange is in the movie, "The Way of the Gun"

I cant type the dialogue here but if youve seen the movie, you should remember. If you havent, you should. The opening dialogue is worth the price of a rental.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LOL. That was definitely some serious opening dialogue in Way of the Gun.

V's dialogue was great through most of Vendetta too :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
"Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"
- As good as it gets

drunkmunk

drunkmunk

Junior Audioholic
Mel Gibson in Payback

"Few people know what there life is worth. I do. 70 grand. that's what they took from me and that's what i'm gonna get back."

I love that movie

~JC~

~JC~

Audioholic
Space......The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise.

Maybe not that deep, but I bet it gives you all chills! :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
~JC~ said:
Space......The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise.

Maybe not that deep, but I bet it gives you all chills! :D
you need the background music to send chills ...
otherwise you're just another geek quoting sci-fi shakespeare ;) (like me) :D

ten-te-te-ten-tenenen

B

BostonMark

Audioholic
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

<i>We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.</i>

Depp as Hunter Thompson swats away at imaginary bats driving very fast down a desert highway with Benicio Del Toro in a huge red convertible. A great opening to a great film!

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
My favorite is:

"Well,...there goes our salvage." - Aliens

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis