Best modern AVR under $2500

S

Sridhar C

Enthusiast
What is the sensitivity of those Triad In-Wall speakers, at 2.83V/1M?

Or better yet, what is the Total Specs on them?
Drive Units:
(1) 1" Fabric dome tweeter.
(2) 6 1/2" Proprietary designed woofers.

Power Handling :
Maximum power rating 150 watts

Impedance:
Nominal impedance 4 ohms
3.2 ohms minimum

Sensitivity:
92dB 2.83V/1m

2pi Frequency Response:
70 Hz - 20 kHz (+/-3dB)

Enclosure:
Flush Acoustimesh™ metal grill fits flat against the wall.

Designed to be used in stud walls, false walls or custom cabinets with or without using the Acoustimesh™ metal grill.

This is for the Triad in-wall silver. At 150WPC, I'm not sure they will be able to handle the Integra 80.2 that I've been checking out the last 18 hours.

S

spike99

Junior Audioholic
There are a lot of cases in receivers/pre-pros where a higher price does not lead to any actualy improvements in sound.

One thing that DOES make a difference though is Audyssey MultEQ XT32. This highest-level version (other than Audyssey PRO) of Audyssey's auto-setup/EQ is substantially more sophisticated and capable than any other auto-EQ program that is out there right now. When you are playing in this $2500-ish price range, MultEQ XT32 is a must have feature, IMO.

To that end, out of your short-list of candidates, the Denon AVR-4311CI or the soon upcoming AVR-4312CI would be my top recommendation. If you discover that you require or would simply like more power from a separate amp, you always have the option to add separate amps with the 4311/4312's pre-outs.

There are the options from Onkyo as well. Their entire TX-NR5008, TX-NR3008 and upcoming x009 receivers and the PR-SC5508 pre-pro. Other than the THX processing though, the Onkyo's have nothing else to offer over the Denon. The upcoming TX-NRx009 Onkyo receivers will be worth consideration though due to their more capable Marvell Qdeo video processing.

In any case, keep a look out for MultEQ XT32 because it is a very worthwhile feature, IMO.
Lately, I have been thinking about upgrading my Denon AVR-4308CI. I really was going to wait until next year... but maybe there's no need to wait and better to buy now ?

I really don't know how much improvement I will get but lately I've been considering Denon AVR-4311CI & ONYKO's PR-SC5508 pre-pro. Currently leaning towards PR-SC5508.

Advise is greatly appreciated.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Lately, I have been thinking about upgrading my Denon AVR-4308CI. I really was going to wait until next year... but maybe there's no need to wait and better to buy now ?

I really don't know how much improvement I will get but lately I've been considering Denon AVR-4311CI & ONYKO's PR-SC5508 pre-pro. Currently leaning towards PR-SC5508.

Your feature set will improve overall but you will lose your gold plated I/Os and wifi.

S

spike99

Junior Audioholic
Your feature set will improve overall but you will lose your gold plated I/Os and wifi.
Don't care much about plated I/Os but I will miss WiFi. I will basically need to buy router extender to plug an ethernet cable to it... cost is about $100.... but at the same time I really don't think I will use much of their internet... I recently bought a Roku where I stream Netflix & Pandora.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic

You have the nice Emotiva XPA-5 (like I also -- and love it), so just bite the bullet and get the AVR-4311CI w/Audyssey MultEQ XT32. They are all ranting and raving about the 4311CI from what I have read -- one very nice AVR. You can always get a Wifi Bridge if you do not want to run hard cable CAT-5 to the 4311, but for firmware upgrades they recommend having it hard wired into net. I had a quote the other day for a NEW 4311CI to the front door was $1499, and an Auth. Dealer which is important to get the Warranty (3 Years on the '11 and up).

Why are you currently leaning Towards the Onkyo PR-SC5508? Please explain why, since you are already in the Denon Camp like I?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Lately, I have been thinking about upgrading my Denon AVR-4308CI.
Why?:D

The 4308 is a great unit. I don't think you will notice anything upgrading it.

I mean if you were buying from scratch, then I can see getting the nice-looking 4311. But the 4308 is such a great unit already.

S

Sridhar C

Enthusiast
Pulled the trigger

Well, it was a difficult choice, but I went with the Integra DTR 80.2 receiver. Now I am waiting for it to arrive. I got a good deal on the unit on Audiogon. I chose this over the separates because it was bargain-priced and I thought I should keep it simple, since my family room cabinet is such a mess already.

Next up: a TV to connect to the Integra. I'm leaning toward the Sammy PND8000 51 inch plasma.

S

spike99

Junior Audioholic
You have the nice Emotiva XPA-5 (like I also -- and love it), so just bite the bullet and get the AVR-4311CI w/Audyssey MultEQ XT32. They are all ranting and raving about the 4311CI from what I have read -- one very nice AVR. You can always get a Wifi Bridge if you do not want to run hard cable CAT-5 to the 4311, but for firmware upgrades they recommend having it hard wired into net. I had a quote the other day for a NEW 4311CI to the front door was $1499, and an Auth. Dealer which is important to get the Warranty (3 Years on the '11 and up).

Why are you currently leaning Towards the Onkyo PR-SC5508? Please explain why, since you are already in the Denon Camp like I?
In general, separates should be better than AVR; hence I believe the PR-SC5508 is actually better than the 4311. And yes, I am somewhat attached to Denon... :) But still, I would buy the 5508 cause it should be better.

Yes, I would probably get a bridge to connect pre-amp... but in reality I do have Roku where I stream Pandora & Netflix and don't see the need to connect to internet unless it's to update firmware.

I was going to buy this week the PR-SC5508 but I think that the PR-SC5509 may be coming in a few months (towards end of the year). Since, I'm really not in a hurry... thought I should wait for the next upgrade ? Still a bit undecided...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis