Best Magnepan Crossover

B

Bobostargate

Audiophyte
Hi,

I just purchased a Hsu Research VTF2-MK3. My receiver does not have bass management and I'd like to know the best frequency to set the subwoofer crossover. System details:

Speakers- Magnepan MMG, frequency response 50-24Khz
Receiver - Harmon Kardon 3485 - no bass management, but has sub out
Subwoofer- Hsu Research VTF2-MK3
Cable - Blue Jeans LC-1

I've read that a good crossover setting is 10Hz above the speakers lowest frequency- in my case 60Hz. But the manual suggests 90Hz. This 2-channel set-up is used primarily for music, but I may integrate the TV soon. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, this is my first sub and I'm learning the ropes.

Thanks!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
If the manual suggest 90, I would start there. A lot of people say that a good xover point would be a full octave above the F3 (in this case, that would mean 100hz for xover point).

How high you can set the sub will be a function of how close it is to the speakers. Ideally, you would have two subs, one sub near each, particularly if you prefer a higher xover.

For bass mgmt, the Behringer products get the most talk here, whether the DCX or CX. They will give you the most flexibility for the dollar, but they will be more intimidating to use, at least at first.

Doh, you say receiver; an external xover normally would require you to buy separate amplification. Hm, since you say Maggies, maybe you do already?

For the time being, you can use the xover built into the subwoofer itself. It will most likely be lowpass only (so the speakers are still getting the full range), but perhaps after playing xover point, phase, slope, etc, you can get it to sound just dandy. Just run speaker wires into sub, then out again to respective speakers.

B

Bobostargate

Audiophyte
Thanks, I emailed HSU and they recommended their high pass filter at 80HZ. The suggestion that this would help given the MMG's mid bass distortion. Since I am considering a new receiver, one with AV capability and bass management, would a high pass filter be unnecessary? In other words, would a bass management system achieve the same result? Thanks!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis