Best low bass organ music?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I'm really enjoying the fantastic sound of the organ, and the fantastic feeling of that 32' pipe shaking my house. I've already listened to all of the Dorian CD's of Jean Victor Guillo, also listened to The reference recordings of Felix Hell. Both of these seem to have almost unlimited low end extension.

I'm a big fan of darker sounding music, I especially like Muggorsky's pictures at an exhibition and Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor, and Passacaglia and Fugue . Any recommendations?

Paudio

Paudio

Junior Audioholic
Don't know how low this goes but I always liked this one from Bach's teacher, Buxtehude.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I watched a TV series about rebuilding things that were unique and interesting- one episode was about the organ in Atlantic City, which has 64' pipes. I found some YouTube videos after seeing this and found that they are absolute justification for using a sub when the speakers are a two-way or 2-1/2 way because it was modulating the mid-range.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Sorry to be a bit late responding to this, but I wanted to give it some thought.

It is nice to have new enthusiast for the pipe organ. Organs and organ music are in need of new enthusiasts and advocates.

The Royal College of organists has been forced to give up their space at Lincolns in Field and now operate just via Internet.

Pipe organs are not only expensive to build but take expensive maintenance and periodic rebuilds. There are now too many fine instruments getting into a bad state or silent.

The organ in the Royal Festival Hall London was silent for seven years or so, but has recently been restored.

Last time I was in Paris the fine Cavialle Coll organ in Sacre Coeur was silent. The appeal for funds was going very slowly and miles from target.

The organ at Canterbury Cathedral was getting into a bad state last time I was there.

So please purchase all the organ music you want, which will in a small way support these fine instruments.

Organs come in lots of flavors and are one of the earliest instruments on Earth, going back to 'Old Byzantium'.

Until 1839 all instruments were tracker, with a lot of trackers being built today. This organ is all mechanical. All the division wind chests are a graph. The keys are the x axis and the stops the Y.
So for a stop to speak two x and y axis holes must line up.

In 1835 an Englishman Carles Barker invented a series of pressurized pneumatic tube to actuate the pipes and stops. This allowed for consoles to be remote from the pipes, with extended and spaced divisions.

In 1869 and American Hilborne Roosevelt invented electric action which until around 1917 was a hybrid elctropneumatic action.

These days the stop and combination stop actions are computarized and highly versatile.

Anyhow there are beautifully recorded treasures on the Priory organ series, especially the Great European organ series.

They now have sets that contain a CD, DVD and BD.

They have a vast organ catalog.

Then there is Pipe Dreams. Michael Barone the long time host is himself and organist. The files are mp3 at 250 kbs, and sound excellent.

And Last but not least you can get BBC Choral Evensong on iPlayer.

The quality is 128 kbs AC3 + MPEG DASH that is at least as good as 350 kbs mp3. It is not as good as the 320 kbs stream from the UK, but you need VPN to get that.

This program has been broadcast now for over 90 years, not being interrupted by two WW. The engineering is spectacular and will bring you fine organs and choirs from all over the UK and now sometimes outside, including the US and Russia. For me this is a never miss program.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis