Best home theater Fronts + Center speakers for $2,000 (100% movies)

J

joms

Enthusiast
Purpose - For 100% movies / No music / No Gaming
Subs - 1pc SVS PC13 Ultra
Amplifier - Denon 2312 (105watts per channel?)
Room - 15 sqm bedroom (closed - squarish - no treatment with 2x big windows)
Volume - I want it to be able to play loud such that I won't be afraid that the speaker would get destroyed in action/sci-fi/war films)
Rear - Mission MHT-DS
Note: I live in the Philippines hence the price
---------------------------------------------------------------
I need Fronts + Center. As of now these are the options im looking at:

Option 1:
(old stock but still bnew as per dealer)
Studio 40v3 (pair) - $733
Studio CC590v3 - $600

Option 2:
(new bnew stock)
Studio 20v5 (pair) - $1100
Studio CC590v5 - $1040

Questions:

1) Are the version 5 that much better than the version 3? Note that the Studio40v3 left/right speakers are bigger (has two mids) versus the single speaker of Studio20v5

2) Will there be a problem in using old stock speakers? I think studio version3 speakers are more than 10yrs+ old right? I'm quite hesitant to get old speakers since the molding/glue or something might be weak already or such. Or maybe because they weren't used for a long time, rust or some other thing gets degraded already? Please enlighten me.

3) Any other speaker that would be better than the Paradigm within my price range?

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Might I suggest Ascend Acoustics. The CMT 340se are well below the price of the Paradigms. Check their website, shoot 'em an e-mail, they can help you figure an affordable shipping solution. Nice pick on the SVS, did you have that shipped? If so, how much did that run, if you don't mind my asking.

J

joms

Enthusiast
Might I suggest Ascend Acoustics. The CMT 340se are well below the price of the Paradigms. Check their website, shoot 'em an e-mail, they can help you figure an affordable shipping solution. Nice pick on the SVS, did you have that shipped? If so, how much did that run, if you don't mind my asking.
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the ascend sierra website and looked at their big center speaker (horizon). Problem is, I am limited to only 10" on the height portion as I will be putting the center in a cabinet. Their smaller center speaker is too small in my opinion.

Thanks for the suggestion =)

With regard to SVS, we have a local distributor here and I really love my subs. So damn good. How I wish I could add 1 more to make it a pair but there just isn't any space anymore... =(

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Too small as far as the dimensions or driver size?

J

joms

Enthusiast
Too small as far as the dimensions or driver size?

Ah i was looking into the Sierra-1 as it was indicated in their website as the center channel. It only had one 5.25 woofer and a tweeter which is rather measly compared to the dual 7" woofer + 4.5" mids + tweeter of the paradigms.

Now for the CMT-340 that you've mentioned, what made you suggest this as a better alternative to the paradigms in terms of movie watching? Is it only the price or does it perform much better in terms of sound quality for movies?

Thanks

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
I recommended them because I have become a fan of Ascend and the value in their product. I recommended the 340 specifically because the additional shipping, tho I'm not sure how much that would be, would stay within your budget. Below is a link to a review that compares the 340se to a Paradigm system. Keep in mind, the Paradigm are also Studio 100 towers at 1700 ea. Not exactly apples to apples.

Home Theater & Sound Equipment Review -- Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE/CBM-170 SE Home-Theater Speaker System (6/2007)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Why not SVS Ultra speakers? the Center is only 8" high. They are definitely built to last and would take the punishment of whatever your Denon 2312 can throw at them.

S

Saverio

Audiophyte
I was thinking the same thing, especially since I saw a pair of essentially brand new SVS Ultra Towers over at US Audio Mart that the seller is asking $1,500.00 for. If he's asking $1,500.00 he'd probably take less.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I will say that the Paradigms do hold up well over time, so it really depends on how the speakers are maintained.

You might want to look at the Golden Ear Triton 7s and Super XL or smaller version of the center. Those would do very well in your budget and serve me well in my bendroom setup 16x19 w/cathedral Ceilings.

I had my Studio 60v3 until about 2 years ago and they still sounded great and the new owner is very happy with them still. There is a pretty significant driver upgrade from the v3 to v5 if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis