Best Circumaural (Over-Ear) Headphones for Classical

Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee

Audioholic Intern
My price range is under $300. It can be a little over. I want an open-back headphone but suggestions for closed-backs are definitely welcomed. I want something that sounds big with large but accurate soundstage.

I listen only to classical music. More specifically, I listen mostly to baroque chamber music. Trevor Pinnock is my hero.

Thank you in advance for replying :)

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would go for Sennheiser HD600. Neutral and accurate sound and really comfortable to wear.

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
I would suggest the US-made Koss Pro-4AA headphones, despite the fact that they are closed-back. They are 'old school' designed and built to last - and seal quite well. All you will hear will come from the transducers - which still have a flat frequency response, decent sensitivity, and ~250 Ohm impedance. They are heavy and come 'too tight' for my large noggin - they can be sprung to be more comfortable, however, but the weight is fixed. They are available direct from Koss for $100 - less via Amazon. My original pair, from ~1972, finally wore out the cable strain reliefs and molded 1/4" stereo plugs, so they sat in a bag in the closet for two decades before I found out that Koss was once again making the Pro-4AA's, so I bought a new pair from Amazon. When I found out that they still have a lifetime warranty, I sent my old headphones - and $9 return s&h - and got them repaired - actually, everything is new except the transducers - just as I wanted - great warranty! Strings and piano's overtones sound great.

VMAT4

VMAT4

Enthusiast
It would help to know if you're listening out of a mobile device, integrated amp, receiver, or headphone amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
I assume you are referring to the OP, VMAT4, but I'll describe my setup in case you were referring to me. I listen to 100% CD's using the headphone jack on my Emotiva A-100 BasX amp driven by my Onkyo C-7030 CDP. The normal speakers used are a vintage pair of Klipsch Heresy's.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I love my AKG K712Pro. Keep an eye on the pricing thou. the $500 ones are likely made in Austria, while the $300 made in China. I have Austrian version, but it's possible that chinese version is nearly identical.
+1 on Sennheisers - I have 558 and they are great for the price. HD600 is better.
One more to consider is
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium Headphone. Pick 250ohm version if you have headphone amp, or 32 if mobile device

VMAT4

VMAT4

Enthusiast
I'm not sure the OP needs to spend $300. I can speak as an owner that the Sennheiser HD 598 or HD 598 Special Edition have a nice open sound. They also cost about $160. If he's using a portable player the HD 598 may not be the way to go. On the mobile/portable side, the HiFiMan HE 400s might be worth investigating, although, to my eyes, it does not look as sturdy as the DT 990 32 ohm.

Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee

Audioholic Intern
It would help to know if you're listening out of a mobile device, integrated amp, receiver, or headphone amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am fine with any impedance as long as it is not crazy high like 600 ohms.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Nad Viso HP50 or Beyerdynamic DT660 pro. They are highly regarded for classical music. Also the PSB M4U 1 or 2

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I'm not sure the OP needs to spend $300. I can speak as an owner that the Sennheiser HD 598 or HD 598 Special Edition have a nice open sound. They also cost about $160. If he's using a portable player the HD 598 may not be the way to go. On the mobile/portable side, the HiFiMan HE 400s might be worth investigating, although, to my eyes, it does not look as sturdy as the DT 990 32 ohm.
HD598 are great headphones as well but as he has 300$ budget HD600 will be superior to them.

Edit: These seem to be available now for a short while as well: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones?referer=4568TG&mode=guest_open

L

Lewis Jordan

Enthusiast
The Sony mdr1a is such a standout.
I have the P7s and these. Now the 7 do have a better low end but whenever I go to the 7 it is boring.
The Sony never such, once you tolerate the bass hump, or eq it. They are near perfect.
Thses are not paid reviews as some are on this site, https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR1A-Premium-Hi-Res-Headphones/dp/B00NBMHY58#customerReviews
The Brits have twice as many & better reviews .
Now be prepared to open up the backs, philips screws, easy, to add cotton, shame on Sony.
As well as wrapping yarn around the posts to quite flexation noise as you wear them.
I got mine a Frys, open box 180.00. Breakin is a must 100 hr min. That is a week on 24/7
I use Android UAPP with the parammetric plugin, DSD @ full conversion, plays iso too.
Bye
Screenshot_20180330-020416.png

As it breaks in you flatten the eq.

Now if you want zero hassels & can spend 100 more, more local, the AKG 701 is it open cup vs sony closed.
How flat is the AKG? The dark line is 65 hrs of BI time. These are good.

Picture_1ddgr0.png

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

The Sony mdr1a is such a standout.
I have the P7s and these. Now the 7 do have a better low end but whenever I go to the 7 it is boring.
The Sony never such, once you tolerate the bass hump, or eq it. They are near perfect.
Thses are not paid reviews as some are on this site, https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR1A-Premium-Hi-Res-Headphones/dp/B00NBMHY58#customerReviews
The Brits have twice as many & better reviews .
Now be prepared to open up the backs, philips screws, easy, to add cotton, shame on Sony.
As well as wrapping yarn around the posts to quite flexation noise as you wear them.
I got mine a Frys, open box 180.00. Breakin is a must 100 hr min. That is a week on 24/7
I use Android UAPP with the parammetric plugin, DSD @ full conversion, plays iso too.
ByeView attachment 23848
As it breaks in you flatten the eq.

Now if you want zero hassels & can spend 100 more, more local, the AKG 701 is it open cup vs sony closed.
How flat is the AKG? The dark line is 65 hrs of BI time. These are good.

View attachment 23850
I personally would weight amazon reviews as a grain of sand. 100 hours of break in also sounds alarm. I'm not saying mdr1 are bad cans, but there are many better in price range. And I believe op already made hes purchase as he posted over a year ago.

L

Lewis Jordan

Enthusiast
Thanks for the notice of my lateness.
You are mistaken about this particular review due to the nature of the product, on that notorious site.
Look at the AKG graph, 80 hr total.

My P7 is 1 mo old, I want to sell it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis