Best budget centre speaker suggestions

S

skytra7

Audioholic Intern
I have an surround amp Yamaha RX-475 set up with just two front speakers. Because of my apartment I can't get 5.1 because I live in a small space. However I was thinking of upgrading to 3.1 type setup so at least I would have some sort of surround type image..

I'm on a budget and was wondering if any body could recommend some good but cheap centre speakers.

So far I have seen:

Yamaha NS-C10MM
and
Polk Audio TL1

Would appreciate my recommendations especially from Yamaha owners

Advance thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Entirely depends on your current mains. Since you are going to be 3.1, it is more important that they match. Price should not be the top determining factor. What are your mains? 3.1 is definitely viable; I've done it for long periods and it works fine.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm on a budget and was wondering if any body could recommend some good but cheap centre speakers.

So far I have seen: Yamaha NS-C10MM and Polk Audio TL1
Are you from Canada - and are your front speakers Yamaha?

S

skytra7

Audioholic Intern
Hi yes I'm from Canada bought my front speakers from best buy

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
ebay for S/H second hand and often many in good great condition buy x4 of the same and then split them up as three identical LCR placed at same height above the tv or behind a transparent screen for projection. These centre channels for home cinema is like downgrading the quality of the centre from dialogue/music/effects that won't tonally match the other speakers left/right.

Save up a bit more don't be in such a hurry.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
However I was thinking of upgrading to 3.1 type setup so at least I would have some sort of surround type image..
I'm not sure how much adding a Center will give you "some sort of surround type image". If you're currently using Stereo for TV/movies, everything that would be sent to the Center is now equally sent to the Left/Right, giving the listener the impression that it's coming from the center. Adding a Center will simply mean those sounds really do come from the center, but all the Left/Right stuff will stay the same.

I just got some new front speakers, (Left/Right), and spent some time listening to TV in stereo just to see how they did without a Center. I actually liked stereo better than the normal surround because my L/R speakers are a lot better speakers than my Center. Stuff that was supposed to sound like it was coming directly from the TV did sound like that. Of course, I was careful to balance the L/R with an SPL meter.

I guess I'm trying to make 2 points:
1) Don't expect a big difference in your surround experience by adding a Center speaker.
2) If you do add a Center, it should be as good as your L/R, or it will sound worse than your current stereo.

S

skytra7

Audioholic Intern
Thanks I got exactly the advice and help that I needed...I went for the Precision Acoustics CC24 centre speaker.. it's relatively cheap and is part of the same family of speakers that my front mains are from. Thanks again!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis