Belden 13xxA series (xxx X 34) stranded OFHC Speaker Cable

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
Also,

PS I'm not even an EE or Physicist
You obviously are not, otherwise you would realize that the passive components used in the crossover will affect the signal more than any reasonable length of speaker wire ever could. If the placebo effect (which my medical school professors went out of their way to discuss in the first hour of class) is strong enough to jump-start your body's healing mechanisms into CURING DISEASES then it sure as hell can influence your perceptions of what you hear.

I have a biomedical engineering degree from a university that focuses on imaging and electrical signals and the only time the type of wire being used was even mentioned was regarding the superconducting coils used to produce high-strength magnetic fields in MRI. So if lamp cord (essentially what is used to connect any non-integrated internal electronic circuit) is good enough to use to save someone's life, then it's good enough for my speakers.

S

Solid-State

Banned
You obviously are not, otherwise you would realize that the passive components used in the crossover will affect the signal more than any reasonable length of speaker wire ever could. If the placebo effect (which my medical school professors went out of their way to discuss in the first hour of class) is strong enough to jump-start your body's healing mechanisms into CURING DISEASES then it sure as hell can influence your perceptions of what you hear.

I have a biomedical engineering degree from a university that focuses on imaging and electrical signals and the only time the type of wire being used was even mentioned was regarding the superconducting coils used to produce high-strength magnetic fields in MRI. So if lamp cord (essentially what is used to connect any non-integrated internal electronic circuit) is good enough to use to save someone's life, then it's good enough for my speakers.
So you call Jon Risch's work placebo?

This is placebo?
http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/i3.htm
http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=5538

This is the same man with this brilliant xover design
http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/LBIseries.htm
http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=8396

As for your impressive education, great I hope you make a lot of money for A/V goodies! This still means nothing with regard to your understanding or knowledge regarding EE as applied to hifi audio. Heck even the Grand Poobah around here Clint has realized and moved onto the 20 year old Kimber 8PR SKU.

I suggest you put your ideas and beliefs to the test and make that DIY cable above or the Cat5e DIY or get some Kimber 8TC from your local highend snob audio shop (I bet you'll get along with the crowd in there) on a test/loaner and listen for yourself.

Solid-State

Last edited:
S

Solid-State

Banned
Hi Grunt!

/say "PEACE BROTHER PEACE!" says Solid-State as he reaches into Grunts popcorn bag.

I still can't believe you guys attacked Dannie Ritchie of GR Research man LOL or his friend Skiing Ninja! I do hope you understand he's a famous speaker/cross over EE almost on par with Siegfried Linkwitz. The whole thing is actually very funny to any "insiders".

What is even more shocking is how the whole provocation lead to me insulting the older mentors of our industry LOL

I'm a saber rattling Heretic that calls it as I see or better yet HEAR it brother audiophiles!

Solid-State

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
OK how do we start?

I'd like to know what speaker cabling mtrycrafts are using now?

Solid-State
12 or 14ga, no name cables, and even some landscape wire. works just fine, well withing audible thresholds, if you know what that is, by chance.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

Solid-State
Oh, so that is where you got your nonsense from? You have been brainwashed. !

Further discussion is not warranted. I know his history very well. He is not a source for credible anything:mad:
I rather debate my dining-room table. End of story.
Oh, he has zero credibility with people a bit more knowledgeable about all this.

S

Solid-State

Banned
Oh, so that is where you got your nonsense from? You have been brainwashed. !

Further discussion is not warranted. I know his history very well. He is not a source for credible anything:mad:
I rather debate my dining-room table. End of story.
Oh, he has zero credibility with people a bit more knowledgeable about all this.
Owhh really I didn't know that about the guy and his rather bold statement saying he can detect PTFE from FPE I wouldn't believe. All I know is I tried the coax cable DIY and litz braids and I noticed an improvement. The coax wasn't practical though and chances of shorting in the breakout so I went back to my 1313a or 1309a Also the Kimber cheaper stuff I used years ago seemed to make a difference (litz braids). I intend to pickup two segments from my local shop for testing of the 8TC I'll post my experience. That's all I can say. The point about PVC jackets causing copper corrosion does happen though as I've seen it first hand. Do you believe an old PVC cable ten years old in that condition would make a sonic difference in loudspeaker sound? Also what about the bi-metal wire like that cheap crap with a copper and aluminum conductor? If you feel it makes no dif with speaker level, what about line level interconnects? What do you think of litz braids? Is Clint's switch to 8PR from 5T00UP idiocy as you suggest? Why do some of the writers here use Canare "Star Quad"? If anything is BS it's bi-wiring that's for sure unless it's multi litz braid. Even when Clint ran his cable tests he detected something with the cat5e litz of curiosity... that's all I'll say to keep the fire burning so to speak! LOL

Solid-State

Last edited:
S

skers_54

Full Audioholic

This is placebo?
http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/i3.htm
http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=5538

This is the same man with this brilliant xover design
http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/LBIseries.htm
http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=8396

As for your impressive education, great I hope you make a lot of money for A/V goodies! This still means nothing with regard to your understanding or knowledge regarding EE as applied to hifi audio. Heck even the Grand Poobah around here Clint has realized and moved onto the 20 year old Kimber 8PR SKU.

I suggest you put your ideas and beliefs to the test and make that DIY cable above or the Cat5e DIY or get some Kimber 8TC from your local highend snob audio shop (I bet you'll get along with the crowd in there) on a test/loaner and listen for yourself.

Solid-State
Since I took a class a semester from the EE department over the last two years of college that involved circuits or signals, I would say that I have a much better understanding of the science behind audio than you.

The links you provide show no data for the actual cable tests. He plugs a method for comparing cables, then expects us to believe that he can hear differences just because he published a method to switch cables 20 years ago. If he had credible evidence then he would have published that result in AES as well.

I don't know anything about his crossover designs except that they will affect sound more than any "magic" cable (DIY or otherwise).

If you read Clint's review of the Kimber, you would realize that he liked the terminations and quality of construction. He explicitly states that no sonic differences were discernible. And I'm not going to buy cables costing more than my entire system just to settle a pointless d***-measuring contest.

As mtry said, you really are hopeless. The tenacity with which you attack the scientific tenants of audio prove that you have no interest in viewpoints contradictory to your own. Your saving grace is that most of the cables you've suggested are cheap.

S

Solid-State

Banned
WOW I feel like a liberal on Fox News! LOL

Do you believe an old PVC cable ten years old with gassing corrosion can impact loudspeaker sound? What about the bi-metal wire like that cheap crap with copper and aluminum conductors? If you feel it makes no dif with speaker level, what about line level interconnects? What do you think of litz braids? Why do some of the writers here use Canare "Star Quad" in a bi-wire hookup? If anything is BS it's bi-wiring that's for sure. Finally, why hasn't anyone seemed to have approached this scientifically starting with sonic measurements? I have to be honest here as I'm playing devil's advocate to some extent and never use anything but Belden SKUs. It just bugs me that people think everything is simply black and white. I personally feel I've heard changes in sound using different cables. That's it... no more attacks please! Please just civil answers to the questions above and lets see where it takes us.

Solid-State

Last edited:
S

Screwman

Audiophyte
Poor Solid State....you've reverted to name calling when you can't get your specious arguments to fly with this group.
Your earlier comment about showing your old teacher the 'light' is telling. He commented to you that you must have changed the volume control. That is what you are hearing: a change in SPL, not sonic quality.
How come you cannot show us any test results to support your statements about a difference in sound quality? All you do is attack the people on this site because they won't agree with your unspported arguments.
Show us some test results supported by a valid test method and protocall and you will be able to convince people. Nobody has ever been able to do that by the way; so good luck. Grab your test microphone and capture away, and see what sonic variation you can find between cables.
Until you do that you have nothing that is going to convince anyone that you are right.

H

Hyfi

Enthusiast
Trip down Memory Lane

And that's it eh.. thread dead...

You guys suck!
You are fighting a no-win battle here, but you have plenty of folks on your side.

Just remember, deaf people can read published studies, but not hear with their own ears.

The posts above are pretty much identical to those posted by same or similar individuals who have been barred from a few other boards. Reading through this post brings back memories of the AR Cable Forum from 1995.

Just forget about it and let these guys shuffle their white papers and listen to their boom boxes, which of course sounds no different than a high end system with decent cabling.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
don't feed the troll (unless its red chicklets) :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis