Beginner Subwoofer Help

L

Lewis Sheppard

Audioholic
I literally no nothing about subwoofers at all.

I think they provide the low's that speakers can not or something(I know nothing ;)). Fill me in and give me some cheap brands I can look at. Preferably as cheap as possible but still want a respectable brand.

What specs do I want to see in a subwoofer when looking?

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
Please provide more information in order to get a good recommendation. What is your top budget? What is your room size, L x W x H? What is your intended purpose as far as movies or music?

L

Lewis Sheppard

Audioholic
Please provide more information in order to get a good recommendation. What is your top budget? What is your room size, L x W x H? What is your intended purpose as far as movies or music?
For my bedroom. My top budget is about £100:( haha but my room is 9 x 10 x 7 (roughly). Intended purpose is movies and films (equally) maybe more films and series because that's all I do but I do love relaxing with some music on, or getting my groove in ;)

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
For my bedroom. My top budget is about £100:( haha but my room is 9 x 10 x 7 (roughly). Intended purpose is movies and films (equally) maybe more films and series because that's all I do but I do love relaxing with some music on, or getting my groove in ;)
Well you have a very small room, and this helps answer the question of which type of sub will work for you...sealed or ported. Ported will have good low frequency output for movies regardless of the room size. Sealed will only have good low frequency output for movies in a small room.

So in your case, you have the option to choose the best sealed or ported subwoofer that fits your budget.

I think your budget is about $170 us dollars.

If you have any wiggle room, you can get the BIC F12 for $193 shipped, but you may have to check your price for shipping and such. Another option in that price range is the Dayton Audio sub...they make a 10" that would be under your budget, and a 15" slightly over. That is all I can think of, but I am sure others might be able to offer more suggestions.

L

Lewis Sheppard

Audioholic
Well you have a very small room, and this helps answer the question of which type of sub will work for you...sealed or ported. Ported will have good low frequency output for movies regardless of the room size. Sealed will only have good low frequency output for movies in a small room.

So in your case, you have the option to choose the best sealed or ported subwoofer that fits your budget.

I think your budget is about $170 us dollars.

If you have any wiggle room, you can get the BIC F12 for $193 shipped, but you may have to check your price for shipping and such. Another option in that price range is the Dayton Audio sub...they make a 10" that would be under your budget, and a 15" slightly over. That is all I can think of, but I am sure others might be able to offer more suggestions.
Thanks alot, what about positioning, I'll be on my bed, only places could be on the floor beside the desk or on a desk facing me directly.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd start without a sub for now and see how it sounds. You won't get a ton of bass from the S30s, but in a small room, they might be adequate. I've used my BS22LRs in the bedroom and bass was good enough.

L

Lewis Sheppard

Audioholic
I'd start without a sub for now and see how it sounds. You won't get a ton of bass from the S30s, but in a small room, they might be adequate. I've used my BS22LRs in the bedroom and bass was good enough.
Apparently they're quite bassy the S30's, once I've tested them I could always go back to my Jamo's and make do with a stand, which I don't really want to do but hey ho, what's best is best. I'm just gonna leave it for now, won't be able to buy them for a while anyway.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
For my bedroom. My top budget is about £100:( haha but my room is 9 x 10 x 7 (roughly).
Are the room dimensions in meters? If yes, forget the sub since anything in that price range is a waste of money.

Instead, get better main speakers. As mentioned by j_garcia the Pioneer BS22 have reasonable bass. If available in your area, try to demo them at home. You might not need a sub.

L

Lewis Sheppard

Audioholic
Are the room dimensions in meters? If yes, forget the sub since anything in that price range is a waste of money.

Instead, get better main speakers. As mentioned by j_garcia the Pioneer BS22 have reasonable bass. If available in your area, try to demo them at home. You might not need a sub.
I don't even think they're available in my country haha and no, feet.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I checked amazon.co.uk and didn't see the BS22s listed, so probably not available. S30s are from there, so easier to find :)

L

Lewis Sheppard

Audioholic
I checked amazon.co.uk and didn't see the BS22s listed, so probably not available. S30s are from there, so easier to find :)
I'm going to test out the S30's at weekend I think. I haven't seen the BS22's anywhere UK.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Lewis, in all honesty, you can gain a LOT of knowledge by reading past posts on these forums. Odds are that mostof your questions could be answered by doing a little reading of them on your own instead of asking the same questions that many, many people have already asked, and had answered, most likely within the past few weeks.

Remember, most of us "old timers" had to learn this by reading and learning these things on our own. Ther wasn't any internet where we could go to and expect to have everything spoon fed. A little help and guidance is fine and we enjoy doing that, but you really should take a little initiative to do a little learning on your own.

Last edited:
L

Lewis Sheppard

Audioholic
Lewis, in all honesty, you can gain a LOT of knowledge by reading past posts on these forums. Odds are that mostof your questions could be answered by doing a little reading of them on your own instead of asking the same questions that many, many people have already asked, and had answered, most likely within the past few weeks.

Remember, most of us "old timers" had to learn this by reading and learning these things on our own. Ther wasn't any internet where we could go to and expect to have everything spoon fed. A little help and guidance is fine and we enjoy doing that, but you really should take a little initiative to do a little learning on your own.
How am I expecting to be spoon fed? I know nothing and you know a lot, why wouldn't I ask a lot of questions? I've just read through the past 6 pages about subwoofers and all I've learnt is most people find SVS is the best brand:rolleyes: If you had to choose would you choose to spend hours researching and searching for pointless things you don't need to/want to know or just ask somebody and find out within 5 minutes. I'm only asking for guidance here and just some answers to some questions.

M

Mo Noyz

Banned
Just buy SVS and be done with it!

No other brand will suffice!

M

Mo Noyz

Banned
I'd advise you to escape the cult while you still can.

This place is beyond repair.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
How am I expecting to be spoon fed? I know nothing and you know a lot, why wouldn't I ask a lot of questions?
Your first post in this thread.

I literally no nothing about subwoofers at all.

I think they provide the low's that speakers can not or something(I know nothing ;)). Fill me in and give me some cheap brands I can look at. Preferably as cheap as possible but still want a respectable brand.

What specs do I want to see in a subwoofer when looking?
Aside from learning about SVS, you also learn what is important in choosing a subwoofer. But, I can tell you right now that if you were serious about that $100 figure, you've got a long, hard search ahead of you.

First, get your basic system up and running. Then worry about a subwoofer. .In the meantime lurk here, read these forums, and learn about this hobby in the meantime. The AV Research section of Audioholics has many, many articles that should be of great interest to anyone serious about learning about this hobby.

Seriously, I admire your wanting to learn and you seem like a nice kid but you've really got to do a little research on your own. None of us mind helping out when the going gets rough and answering a question or two, but you HAVE to do a little on your own.

L

Lewis Sheppard

Audioholic
Your first post in this thread.

Aside from learning about SVS, you also learn what is important in choosing a subwoofer. But, I can tell you right now that if you were serious about that $100 figure, you've got a long, hard search ahead of you.

First, get your basic system up and running. Then worry about a subwoofer. .In the meantime lurk here, read these forums, and learn about this hobby in the meantime. The AV Research section of Audioholics has many, many articles that should be of great interest to anyone serious about learning about this hobby.

Seriously, I admire your wanting to learn and you seem like a nice kid but you've really got to do a little research on your own. None of us mind helping out when the going gets rough and answering a question or two, but you HAVE to do a little on your own.
Okay, I understand what you're saying. I'll try and learn a bit for my self now

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis