Beatles - Love DVD-Audio

M

moverton

Audioholic
Well, got the Beatles Love DVD-Audio, popped it in the player, and psstttt!!!!!

Crackles, hums and pops. Anybody get one that works? What player are you using? I'm on the Pioneer DV-578A (cheapie, I know). I have no problems with any other DVD-A.

B

BGLeduc

Junior Audioholic
moverton said:
Well, got the Beatles Love DVD-Audio, popped it in the player, and psstttt!!!!!

Crackles, hums and pops. Anybody get one that works? What player are you using? I'm on the Pioneer DV-578A (cheapie, I know). I have no problems with any other DVD-A.
Some reports of that at Steve Hoffman forums and AVS as well. I belive its a firmware problem with Pio. Some reports of problems with 563a too.

FWIW, it does play in my Denon 3910 and Pio 45a (set for 2CH).

Once you work out the problem, you are in for a treat. Its a wonderful disc. In the mean time, can you access the DVD-V layer, and play the DTS or DD tracks?

Brian

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
As a dyed-in-the-wool Beatles fan, I love this disc. The producers did a great job of reworking these songs so they sound fresh and new.
Of course, I'm of the generation that would buy a pile of dog poop if they put a Beatles logo on it, so maybe I'm not a very objective judge.
Incidentally, my DVD-A sounds flawless on my Denon; probably better than original, since it was taken from the original multi-track masters.:D

M

moverton

Audioholic
BGLeduc said:
In the mean time, can you access the DVD-V layer, and play the DTS or DD tracks?
Yes, I switched the player to dvd-v and got the dts tracks to work. Sounds great. A pain though because the setup menus are so bad on this player. I have to switch the default every time.

astrodon

astrodon

Audioholic
I had no idea that this album was out until I read this thread. I went to Circuit City and saw the CD/DVD-A boxed set and purchased it. The CD sounded great on my car CD player and the DVD-A blew me away on both my Denon DVD-2900 and my Denon DVD-5910 players. I don't understand why the release of this album has been kept so quiet.

M

moverton

Audioholic
After having this for a few weeks now, I am less impressed by it. I do like the sound quality a lot. But the mixes are irritating sometimes. On a lot of the tracks it seems like the voice is pushed way back. Is this what you hear? I am wondering if it is something about my player/setup.
Some of the songs are just terrific but I really don't like listening to it all the way through. It is like it was made for background music instead of full attention listening. Maybe because it was intended as a soundtrack for a circ-de-sole (spelling?) show.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
moverton said:
After having this for a few weeks now, I am less impressed by it. I do like the sound quality a lot. But the mixes are irritating sometimes. On a lot of the tracks it seems like the voice is pushed way back. Is this what you hear? I am wondering if it is something about my player/setup.
Some of the songs are just terrific but I really don't like listening to it all the way through. It is like it was made for background music instead of full attention listening. Maybe because it was intended as a soundtrack for a circ-de-sole (spelling?) show.
You're absolutely right - this disc was produced for the Cirque show in Vegas, as stated in the liner notes.

Last edited:
Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I've heard a few of the songs from this and think it's just an abomination.

race4aliving

race4aliving

Audioholic
I got it for Christmas and really like it alot. I think of it the same way as the DSOM SACD...a new album, not a remix. the songs and mix are so vastly changed from the original versions that if your expecting just a remaster then your going to be shocked, but the only new recording on it are the strings on "while my guitar gently weeps" everything else are from the original Apple masters. if you go into it thinking your going to hear another Beatles Greatest Hits album you will be disapointed... but if you go into it as what it is a NEW Beatles album... something you could imagine the 4 of them doing now with the latest tech. I think you will enjoy it.

P.S. my wife thinks it is the best the system ever sounded.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
A real treat for all Beatles fans.

I wouldn't ordinarily consider myself to be a particularly big fan of the Beatles - I don't have anything by them in my CD collection - but after hearing this (highly recommended - select from the A-Z list on the right hand side) hour long feature on BBC radio 2 (I listen to radio quite a bit) this afternoon, I went out and bought the new album Love. I like it!

As this is my first ever DVD-A disc, I've a question:

I can access the multi-channel disc no bother, but noticed that the sleeve of the album has the dts logo which, in the case of regular DVDs, normally means that a dts soundtrack can be selected from the disc's menu instead of the mandatory Dolby Digital soundtrack.

Is it possible to access whether the sound is in Dolby or dts? I can't see anything in the disc's menu apart from track selection. :confused:

R

RMK!

Are you sure you purchased the DVD and not the CD? The DVD includes the CD but only the DVD has the DTS 5.1 track. It is definitely a selection option from the DVD's Audio menu. BTW, Love is the best multi-channel recording I have heard and well worth the price.
Buckle-meister said:
I wouldn't ordinarily consider myself to be a particularly big fan of the Beatles - I don't have anything by them in my CD collection - but after hearing this (highly recommended - select from the A-Z list on the right hand side) hour long feature on BBC radio 2 (I listen to radio quite a bit) this afternoon, I went out and bought the new album Love. I like it!

As this is my first ever DVD-A disc, I've a question:

I can access the multi-channel disc no bother, but noticed that the sleeve of the album has the dts logo which, in the case of regular DVDs, normally means that a dts soundtrack can be selected from the disc's menu instead of the mandatory Dolby Digital soundtrack.

Is it possible to access whether the sound is in Dolby or dts? I can't see anything in the disc's menu apart from track selection. :confused:

Buckle-meister

RMK! said:
Are you sure you purchased the DVD and not the CD? The DVD includes the CD but only the DVD has the DTS 5.1 track. It is definitely a selection option from the DVD's Audio menu...
Yep, it's definitely the DVD. I bought the twin pack that has a CD and a separate DVD-A. It's definitely the DVD-A and not the CD that I've been using because:

1. The disc itself has the DVD-A logo on the label;
2. The player states: DVD-A after reading all the tracks upon first loading the disc;
3. The 5.1 'speakers' light up on my receiver's display;
4. The receiver's display reads: Multi PCM (I'm using an i-link connection from the player);
5. If I go into the receiver's menu and look at Signal Info. (Channel) whilst the disc's playing I get: 3/2/0.1;
6. I can hear the multichannel sound through my speakers.

It's definitely the DVD-A disc. ;) When playing though, I get neither the Dolby Digital or dts logo on my receiver's display. Very odd. :confused: On my disc, the only items to select from the menu are Play Album and Track Selection. There's no Audio Setup or anything similar to what's on a regular DVD.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
R

RMK!

Buckle-meister said:
Yep, it's definitely the DVD. I bought the twin pack that has a CD and a separate DVD-A. It's definitely the DVD-A and not the CD that I've been using because:

1. The disc itself has the DVD-A logo on the label;
2. The player states: DVD-A after reading all the tracks upon first loading the disc;
3. The 5.1 'speakers' light up on my receiver's display;
4. The receiver's display reads: Multi PCM (I'm using an i-link connection from the player);
5. If I go into the receiver's menu and look at Signal Info. (Channel) whilst the disc's playing I get: 3/2/0.1;
6. I can hear the multichannel sound through my speakers.

It's definitely the DVD-A disc. ;) When playing though, I get neither the Dolby Digital or dts logo on my receiver's display. Very odd. :confused: On my disc, the only items to select from the menu are Play Album and Track Selection. There's no Audio Setup or anything similar to what's on a regular DVD.

Any ideas?

Strange, I just load the DVD like I'm playing a movie, it is Digital PCM and then I get a banner screen on my TV Screen with Play Album, Song Selection and Audio options. The Audio options screen has the DTS 5.1 selection option.

Have you tried using your DVD players Audio Option menu to select DTS?
I can do this on my Denon 3910 as an alternative to using the disks audio menu.

Buckle-meister

RMK! said:
I get a banner screen on my TV Screen with Play Album, Song Selection and Audio options. The Audio options screen has the DTS 5.1 selection option.
:(

RMK! said:
Have you tried using your DVD players Audio Option menu to select DTS?
Yeah, I tried that. No joy. :(

If I select Audio on my (Yamaha S2500) player's remote, which the manual says allows one to change the audio language and format, I get this statement: PPCM 96k 24b 6ch. The initial P of PPCM presumably for Packed.

The plot thickens...

As a comparison with a regular DVD, if I go into the receivers menu whilst playing The Lord of The Rings: The return of the King, I get the following (as expected):

Format: Dolby Digital (I hadn't selected the dts ES soundtrack)
Sampling: 48kHz
Channel: 3/2/0.1
Bitrate: 448kbps
Dialogue: +4dB
Flag 1: EX
Flag 2: -

Whereas with the Beatles Love album I get:

Format: PCM
Sampling: 96kHz
Channel: 3/2/0.1
Bitrate: -
Dialogue: -
Flag 1: -
Flag 2: -

Going by what you're saying, I should have Dolby Digital or dts adjacent to Format.

How irritating. :mad: I am certainly hearing multi-channel PCM - DVD-A - but still feel I'm losing out here. Maybe I'll return the disc and see if a replacement is any different. It doesn't feel like it will be though. :(

R

RMK!

Well I'm out of ideas. Hope you get it worked out. It really is a nice sounding DVD.

Happy New Year!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Are you sure you purchased the DVD and not the CD? The DVD includes the CD but only the DVD has the DTS 5.1 track. It is definitely a selection option from the DVD's Audio menu. BTW, Love is the best multi-channel recording I have heard and well worth the price.
I second that. This is by far my favorite multi channel recording to date and it sounds phenominal!

For some reason I cannot get it to select or play DTS. It defaults to DVD-A which is fine for 2 of 3 of my reference systems. I can't seem to even find a menu option to select audio. In any event, it rocks!

My only complaint is they cut "Helter Skelter" out of track#10 despite it showing the title for the full song. Very odd!

10. Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite!/I Want You (She's So Heavy)/Helter Skelter

Buckle-meister

I thought of something:

1. According to my player's manual, DVD-A delivers Linear PCM and Packed PCM (Loss less coding).
2. Unless I'm mistaken, Dolby Digital and dts are algorithms used to compress audio (using perceptual coding) so as to allow it to fit onto a disc which it otherwise wouldn't.

If 1 is true, then we wouldn't expect to see any audio on a DVD-A in either Dolby Digital or dts as this implies that the sound has been put onto disc compressed.

What do you all think? Total rubbish or what? :D

gene said:
For some reason I cannot get it to select or play DTS. It defaults to DVD-A which is fine for 2 of 3 of my reference systems. I can't seem to even find a menu option to select audio. In any event, it rocks!
Same as me! Do you think it's a fault on the disc given that, for example, RMK! appears to have an Audio Option on his disc? :confused:

My favourite track has to be Here comes the sun.

R

RMK!

gene said:
I second that. This is by far my favorite multi channel recording to date and it sounds phenominal!

My only complaint is they cut "Helter Skelter" out of track#10 despite it showing the title for the full song. Very odd!

10. Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite!/I Want You (She's So Heavy)/Helter Skelter

Gene, it's there ... just not much of it. I agree the mix is a little strange on a few of the tracks but it sounds so good it is easy to overlook.

Attached are pics of the menu(s).

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
M

moverton

Audioholic
It's definitely the DVD-A disc. When playing though, I get neither the Dolby Digital or dts logo on my receiver's display. Very odd. On my disc, the only items to select from the menu are Play Album and Track Selection. There's no Audio Setup or anything similar to what's on a regular DVD.
I had exactly the same problem (although worse because my dvd-a player would not read the dvd-a portion correctly). I had to go into the dvd player's setup menu (which is only available if the dvd is completely stopped) and switch it to default to dvd-v. After that it loaded the dvd-v and I got the menu with the dvd-v and dts options. If the player loads the dvd-audio version you will not see this menu. You can tell if you get the dvd-v menu if you see the fbi copyright warning. If not you are seeing the dvd-a. The DTS version sounds great (although I still don't like the overall mix for primary listening).
-mark

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis