fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well I just picked up a BDP-95 and I love the thing. Popped in a few DVD's and everything worked great. SACD, fine, Blu-ray, hit or miss. Couldn't figure out why certain blu-rays were working fine and other weren't working at all. Finally I discovered that DTS-HD Master, for whatever reason was functioning. All the blu-rays with Dolby were fine and all the DTS HD Master ones were outputting video with no audio.

I'm using an onkyo-3009. Audio output on the Oppo is set to bitstream. I've never had this problem before. Previously I had (well still have) a samsung BD-3600 and I had it set to bitstream and never had this problem.

Any ideas? Did I just do something stupid or miss something simple?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
During easy setup on step 5, did you choose "Advanced" for the audio setting?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I did not. I bought this used to when I started the thing up, so the easy setup wizard never launched. I'll have to go back in and do a factory reset to launch it and then see how it goes. Can't believe I missed that in the manual. Maybe I'm too tired to be doing this right now :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
... and? :confused:

Sure hope that gets resolved.

Was this the thing with the cord?

How's the center?

We need answers.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
... and? :confused:

Sure hope that gets resolved.

Was this the thing with the cord?

How's the center?

We need answers.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, I didn't realize there were parties out there that were so interested :p

Adam fixed it. I still have no idea why it wouldn't work, but factory resetting it and going through the easy setup fixed it. I still need to get in there and tweak a few things, but at least its decoding DTS again.

Yes this is the thing with the cord. I posted a couple pics in my entertainment stand thread of the after market cord the guy included. Thing weighs like 5 lbs, the cord that is.

As for the center, Dennis had to run a bunch of tests to figure out what was wrong. Turns out it wasn't a cabinet problem after all. Either Seas changed the T/S parameters of the ER woofers or I just got two weird ones because Dennis ended up measuring both woofers and the tweeter and found the woofers to be out of spec, or at least what he had as the spec. So he had to design a new crossover and still has to build it, but he won't be able to do that until next week when he gets back from RMAF. He said it was an easy fix, now that he knows what's wrong. I'm just happy he figured it out.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Adam fixed it.
Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. :D

As for the center, Dennis had to run a bunch of tests to figure out what was wrong. Turns out it wasn't a cabinet problem after all. Either Seas changed the T/S parameters of the ER woofers or I just got two weird ones because Dennis ended up measuring both woofers and the tweeter and found the woofers to be out of spec, or at least what he had as the spec. So he had to design a new crossover and still has to build it, but he won't be able to do that until next week when he gets back from RMAF. He said it was an easy fix, now that he knows what's wrong. I'm just happy he figured it out.
Why does Dennis need to fix it? Why wouldn't Salk make it right?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Any time you buy used gear, the FIRST things you do are a factory reset and check for firmware updates.

When I bought my Denon 2900 some years back, the seller said "it didn't sound right". WTH? At the time, this was one of the best players on the market (it was still a current model when I bought it for less than half price from him). I fired it up in my setup and looked at the settings - most of the audio settings were incorrect. I reset everything and it sounded fantastic :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Any time you buy used gear, the FIRST things you do are a factory reset and check for firmware updates.

When I bought my Denon 2900 some years back, the seller said "it didn't sound right". WTH? At the time, this was one of the best players on the market (it was still a current model when I bought it for less than half price from him). I fired it up in my setup and looked at the settings - most of the audio settings were incorrect. I reset everything and it sounded fantastic :)
Operator Error

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Probably because Salk built the xo to DM's spec's which were to an alternate set of T/S parameters. Besides it's probably easier for DM to make it right than to be shipping stuff around the country.

If I guess right on any part of this I want a f^%&ibng medal or something.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Perhaps he still does contract work for Salk?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. :D

Probably because Salk built the xo to DM's spec's which were to an alternate set of T/S parameters. Besides it's probably easier for DM to make it right than to be shipping stuff around the country.

If I guess right on any part of this I want a f^%&ibng medal or something.
Next time you come up I'll have to give you a medal then :D

I never asked Dennis, but if I had to guess, I would say it's just easier for him to fix it than to have Salk do it. I mean, that's why he wanted it shipped to him before it got shipped to me in the first place, so he could make sure it was perfect.

If it was a crossover problem (which it was) then they'd probably just ask him to fix it anyways. Also, unless I'm mistaken, that's his crossover design in the thing anyways.

He was so confused though because the drivers were way out of spec and it wasn't just one of them (I think that's what he said). I'm reasonably sure both of them were equally out of spec which is why he thought it was so weird. If Seas changed the T/S parameters then there may be a bit of an issue for anyone who ordered anything from Salk that had those woofers in them.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Don't hand out that medal just yet... :D

If the drivers are out of spec, shouldn't Salk be able to get drivers that are in spec? If changing the crossover fixes everything, than nevermind - it just seems like Salk picked those drivers for a reason, and if they don't meet spec, wouldn't that compromise the overall performance?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Honestly I didn't dig too deep into the matter with Dennis, mostly because he's busy heading out to RMAF this weekend. I was going to probe some more when he gets back Monday or Tuesday. This was the e-mail he sent me explaining what the he did and what the issue was. Perhaps you can gleen more from it than I.

Hi Alex Weirdness reigns. It just didn't seem possible that the cabinet was causing the problem, so I removed the crossover completely, added length to the wires to the drivers, stuck them out the ports, and remeasured the tweeter and woofers. I imported all that into my file for the original design to see whether my crossover would produce the same awful results. Which it did. When I compared the new woofer measurements with my old ones, there was almost a 4 dB difference in output below 1kHz. Each woofer was almost 2 dB more efficient, which translates into a 4 dB gain when both are running in parallel. I have a different center design using the same cabinet and woofers, but the Fountek ribbon instead of the RAAL, and also the dome version of the ST center. I imported the new measurements into those files, and the same thing happened. Either Seas has changed the woofer parameters, or your particular ones are just strange. So I redid the crossover design to get flat response, which wasn't very difficult. I have to get ready to leave for RMAF tomorrow morning, so I won't get a chance to build the crossover until next week. Weird. Down-the-center-weird. Cheers, Dennis

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis