Batman vs. Superman Dawn of Justice: Aflleck and Cavill thoughts on negitive reviews

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
SPOILER ALERT

"Batman may try to justify his fight with Superman as being objective. But it's personal. He blames Superman for the death of someone he loves. That's personal. And a personal battle resolves in personal way - another family member that Batman can relate to."

I don't quite agree with this. He doesn't blame Superman for the death of someone he loves, it's his real concern that someone with that much power should be left unchecked. He is Jaded in his belief that given time in a corrupt society, even good people go bad. (as quoted in the movie) He is also affected not just by one person, but for the massive amount of life ended (Wayne Tower) and the city of Gotham.

Even in the comics Batman is still a paranoid person who has a plan for to take out each superhero, if they go bad, even after the formation the Justice League. "Martha" is where Bruce Wayne is able to humanize Superman as a person who has family and something to lose. He sees redemption in helping save his mother, something he was not able to do for his own. He then is better able to relate to him and with the introduction of Doomsday, and see that he necessary safety the planet.

That is just my take:

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I really enjoyed the movie and thought it was truer to actual comics.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
The last time I read reviews from CRITICS was probably 10 years ago before I realized that most critics are idiots.

So these days I only read reviews from other users who may have similar preference (they state the other movies they like and dislike as a frame of reference).
I think the problem is that reviewers don't evaluate the things for which I like movies. I like to be entertained. Critics review the technical aspects of the movie.

I'm not interested in lighting techniques, or emotional roller coasters, or heart warming, or snooty film festival winners. I simply want to be entertained.

The Netflix ratings are useful. They're based on ratings given only by people whose ratings have been similar to ours. If the Netflix rating says "lousy", we can be pretty sure we'd agree.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
SPOILER ALERT

"Batman may try to justify his fight with Superman as being objective. But it's personal. He blames Superman for the death of someone he loves. That's personal. And a personal battle resolves in personal way - another family member that Batman can relate to."

I don't quite agree with this. He doesn't blame Superman for the death of someone he loves, it's his real concern that someone with that much power should be left unchecked. He is Jaded in his belief that given time in a corrupt society, even good people go bad. (as quoted in the movie) He is also affected not just by one person, but for the massive amount of life ended (Wayne Tower) and the city of Gotham.

Even in the comics Batman is still a paranoid person who has a plan for to take out each superhero, if they go bad, even after the formation the Justice League. "Martha" is where Bruce Wayne is able to humanize Superman as a person who has family and something to lose. He sees redemption in helping save his mother, something he was not able to do for his own. He then is better able to relate to him and with the introduction of Doomsday, and see that he necessary safety the planet.

That is just my take:

It's a good POV. You may be more accurate in your interpretation than I. :D

That's one thing I love about these movies - it makes us come up with our own interpretations of the "truth". It's not black and white. :D

I agree with you that it "humanizes" Superman in Batman's mind and he sees some redemption.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
BvS will probably make $800 million worldwide on tickets + another $800 million on BD/DVD sales.

I'll definitely get my BD.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
In regard to "
Aflleck and Cavill thoughts on negitive reviews
"

I will bite. On the other site where I generally post reviews, I refrained because I knew that I'd be just p*ssing into a headwind. I admit that I don't get it. Batman and Superman are left over from comix intended to entertain 9 year olds; they have been around for decades. In most of the reviews I see, people are debating the metaphysical implications, the moral ramifications and the political reverberations.

My reaction to BvS was that it's a bankrupt genre, but it's fans just don't realize it yet. Leotard movies are like westerns in the 1960's, which reached their peak and then dropped off the cliff, rarely to be seen again after dominating movies and, at some point, constituting something like 50% of TV prime time. At some point, plots become so contrived, movies so dependent on an FX arms race and huge budget that the end looms for the entire genre. I realized this after BvS, when I felt so used, and I realized that as actor's performances go, it's unlikely that any of these movies will ever match Heath Ledger as the Joker. They're so bogged down in contrived complexities and FX and they have become their own worst enemy.

Then I see recent films like Room, The Witch and Midnight Special, outsider movies made on tiny or smaller budgets, infinitely more interesting than yet another tiresome superhero movie and I know just why the end really is coming....the mice are nibbling at the skyscraper.

Am I right or will the cinematic world continue dishing out millions to watch a bunch of guys in silly costumes surrounded by digital FX? When will audiences realize that the Titanic has already sunk and just row away?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...will the cinematic world continue dishing out millions to watch a bunch of guys in silly costumes surrounded by digital FX?
Money talks.

The fact that people are spending $800+ million tickets and another $800+ million on DVD/BD for just ONE movie, tells me that a lot of people love this stuff.

For example, BvS & Deadpool will probably make a total of $3.2 billion in total revenues just between the movies.

The total revenues for the 4 movies (BvS, Deadpool, Captain America, X-Men) will probably be $6.4 billion.

Last edited:
skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Money talks.

The fact that people are spending $800+ million tickets and another $800+ million on DVD/BD for just ONE movie, tells me that a lot of people love this stuff.

My "yeah but" - big money makes big ticket sales until it doesn't and too many of these behemoths fail, like the old westerns. When the saturation point is reached in these flix then the whole money thing will come into question. A movie like Room came in far under a million to make, but made tens of millions, which is a pretty good profit for a small production...little ventured but a lot gained. That's how the mice will topple the skyscraper, a bite at a time.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
My "yeah but" - big money makes big ticket sales until it doesn't and too many of these behemoths fail, like the old westerns. When the saturation point is reached in these flix then the whole money thing will come into question. A movie like Room came in far under a million to make, but made tens of millions, which is a pretty good profit for a small production...little ventured but a lot gained. That's how the mice will topple the skyscraper, a bite at a time.
At one bite at a time for a skyscraper, that won't happen in my lifetime LOL. I take the movies for what they are, mindless fun entertainment that lets you relive some of the characters you grew up on.

As for the well running dry, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

1. Deadpool - low expectations, yet highest grossing R film in history
2. Guardians of the Galaxy - Low expectations, yet high box office
3. Ant Man - Not a highly regarded character, yet solid box office again
4. BvS - I think is a mediocre move, yet solid box office

Based on Pre-Sales Numbers for Civil War Captain America, you are looking at another box office behemoth that should be the highest grossing in the series.

Do I like a variety in my movies, drama, chic-flics with the Mrs. etc, yes, but I will always enjoy a solid 2+ hours of mindless fun 2-3 times a year ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I want to feel happy or good or excited/thrilled after watching a movie, not depressed. :D

I think most people want the same. And that's why most people don't care what most critics have to say most of the time.

I don't think there has ever been a comic book movie that has been rated so lowly by critics as BvS. Yet, BsV has surpassed Deadpool at the world box office, closing in on the $800 million mark.

It's clear that a lot people (not all) love mindless fun comic book movies. :D

At the same time, a lot of people also love great movies like The Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather, The Godfather Part 2, Schindler's List, etc.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

At one bite at a time for a skyscraper, that won't happen in my lifetime LOL. I take the movies for what they are, mindless fun entertainment that lets you relive some of the characters you grew up on.

As for the well running dry, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

1. Deadpool - low expectations, yet highest grossing R film in history
2. Guardians of the Galaxy - Low expectations, yet high box office
3. Ant Man - Not a highly regarded character, yet solid box office again
4. BvS - I think is a mediocre move, yet solid box office

Based on Pre-Sales Numbers for Civil War Captain America, you are looking at another box office behemoth that should be the highest grossing in the series.

Do I like a variety in my movies, drama, chic-flics with the Mrs. etc, yes, but I will always enjoy a solid 2+ hours of mindless fun 2-3 times a year ;)
I do think the well will run dry at some point, although I don't know when that will be. Nobody back in the day thought westerns would ever run dry, but they did. I can't deny that leotard movies are very profitable, and, in fact, if you want to turn this around on me, you could note that I wrote my comments based on having paid for a ticket, so I am part of the problem. I don't have either the illusion or delusion that my comments will change the money figures very much, but, sometimes it just feels good to be contrary.

I think I was equally eye rolling when I went into the Dark Knight, but was so blown away by Ledger's Joker that I could not be cynical at that moment. Since then, however, it just seems like nobody can top that, and that they are just spinning variations on the theme and trying to be equally heavy. I think we will look back someday and say that the Dark Knight was the peak but I have no idea how long the slope will take.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know, I am really interested in seeing Jared Leto's Joker. Very much Marilyn Manson-esque, and I think it will play well. Will it be better than Ledger's? Probably not, but Suicide Squad is a definite go see for me.

Screening comments about Civil War, which doesn't look good to me, are coming back positive.

Ant-man also looked dumb, but turned out to be very entertaining.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I liked the movie plot, but hated Afleck and the bulked up batman suit. No comment further in till they rival Marvell . Bale's batman was a tough one to follow

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it is interesting that Christopher Nolan (Dark Knight trilogy) was one of the executive producers for both "Batman V Superman" and "Man of Steel".

For example, the ending of Batman V Superman (what happens to Superman) was approved by Christopher Nolan.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Pay off fwiw

I think it is interesting that Christopher Nolan (Dark Knight trilogy) was one of the executive producers for both "Batman V Superman" and "Man of Steel".

For example, the ending of Batman V Superman (what happens to Superman) was approved by Christopher Nolan.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm like 40 mins into the extended BD and I can honestly say I have very little idea what the heck is going on. Maybe the regular version is less disjointed, but this hasn't been amazing so far.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis