Bass management amp relief?

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
I have a Yamaha rx-v679 with 90 watts 2 chennels driven, Klipsch RF63 tower and dual Klipsch rsw-10d. Bass mangement at 80 htz makes my speakers sound noticeably better. My question is how much power does bass managing relief for music? Does it make my 90 watts be enough for my 175 W rated towers, or would an amp with 200w per channel make an even bigger difference in sound?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You misunderstand specs to a large extent is my guess. Your Klipsch are fairly sensitive, you don't need to dwell on the amp ratings so much....your speaker's "ratings" may mean nothing at all as it is usually a bullshit spec.

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
I agree, I don't understand much about the topic, but I'm trying to learn. If bass managemsnt takes a load off my reciever, how much does it actually takes off?? I don't listen very loud and my speakers are sensitive, so what I have IS actually enough. That being said, if unloading bass load off my amp improved my sound noticeably, logic suggests more "quality" power would too, to a certain point??

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Bass management does take some load off the receiver's amplifier, but how much of a load depends on speakers and crossover point. It is really doing a bigger favor to the speakers than the AVR amplifier. It is in the subwoofer band frequency range where speakers have the toughest time and will run into the most distortion. By alleviating the speakers of the burden of that range, you can bring down their distortion dramatically, but this depends on how loud you were listening to them.

Rather than all of that, I think the improvement in sound that you are hearing with the addition of a sub is the deeper and much more powerful bass than your speakers are able to do, even at modest listening levels.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Agree w/ shadyJ's post...the big thing is the reduction of IM and other speaker related distortions from not having the mains attempt to reproduce all the bass, resulting in cleaner mids and slightly improved dynamic range. There is some relief on the amp, but it's fairly marginal.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis