Basic Questions about receiver

M

mak15

Enthusiast
Dear all: I am trying to pick my first receiver, but while I was checking in bestbuy I have the following questions :confused: (I asked the staff, but I guess they didn't wanted to answer my silly questions).
1: Is it the higher w/channel the better?
2: Is 7.1 Channels better than other channels? When does it matter?

P.S. For $200 - $300, which receiver will you recommend?How about Pioneer VSX-815-K Receiver or Kenwood VR-9050 Receiver?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd recommend the Onkyo TX-SR502 or 503, and I'd also look at the offerings from Harman Kardon and Denon. Ubid has the 502 refurb on sale right now.

having a 7.1 capable receiver means you will be compatible with the latest audio formats available right now. You do not HAVE to use all of the channels, but you have them if you decide to buy all the speakers to implement it.

Yes, higher wattage is better in general, but there are a lot of factors that can come into play that will affect that, such as how "honestly" rated that wattage is. Typically the lower the price, the more likely it is that the power will be overstated.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
j_garcia said:
having a 7.1 capable receiver means you will be compatible with the latest audio formats available right now. You do not HAVE to use all of the channels, but you have them if you decide to buy all the speakers to implement it.
The latest audio format on DVDs is only 6.1 and even at that, you only get a handful of DVDs. I'm still not convinced about 7.1 Maybe with the Blu-ray and the other high def format of DVDs will 7.1 be used . But thats a while off yet

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Mak,

Welcome to the forum. You are the perfect guinea pig for the recent debates over all channels driven tests.

To start off, don't trust a big box store to try and sell you audio equipment. You are wise to check with this site and ask for advice. You'll get lots of differing opinions, but you'll be able to make a much more informed, wise decision.

Watts mean very little regarding surround sound receivers. There is no comparison between a Yamaha 5890 (or even that matter the 5840) and the Insignia IS-HC04091.

Brands to avoid at Best Buy in my opinion: Sony, Insignia, JVC, and Kenwood. Recommended brands at BB: Pioneer and Yamaha.

Before you go buying a receiver at BB, do you have a set of speakers already? What kind/make/model? That will help tremendously.

There are very reputable online dealers that sell units for a fraction of what you'll spend on low, entry level units at big box stores. www.jr.com is one. www.ubid.com is another.

Most of your better units are 7 channels. You may not need all 7 channels, but I've found most 5 and 6 channel "new" units are pretty lousy. They'd probably make a good bedroom/dorm receiver if funds are replacing beer money. :cool:

Here's a good example of how you can do better online with your money:
http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=10495940
(you should really jump on this if you are serious - perfect price range!)

To get a really nice mid level receiver, I think you'd need to budget around $450. 33lbs is my unofficial guide to a very respectable receiver, that will drive most speakers. Weight is important because your power supply and heat sink make up the bulk of a receiver, and the larger these units, the more power output you'll enjoy. That doesn't mean go out and drip 5 bills on your first unit. It means start out with something decent like that Onkyo 602 above, then upgrade in a few years to something better.

Most of all, have fun searching. This is a great hobby, and we all enjoy talking about it.

Last edited:
M

mak15

Enthusiast
j_garcia said:
I'd recommend the Onkyo TX-SR502 or 503, and I'd also look at the offerings from Harman Kardon and Denon. Ubid has the 502 refurb on sale right now.
I am afraid to buy refurb, I don't know why! Thanks for you comments!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mak15 said:
I am afraid to buy refurb, I don't know why! Thanks for you comments!
Don't be, especially from Ubid. Check the warranty, and start saving some cash. These units have been gone over twice. The chances of them having an issue are reduced two fold.

M

mak15

Enthusiast
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Mak,

Welcome to the forum. You are the perfect guinea pig for the recent debates over all channels driven tests.

Before you go buying a receiver at BB, do you have a set of speakers already? What kind/make/model? That will help tremendously.
First, I wanted to thank you for your detailed reply. Now I only have a pair of Theater Research's Front Speaker TR-1621 (They are tall) http://www.trtheaterresearch.com/, a lot of people said it is a scam, but I don't wanted to give them up because I really like them. I tested with my friend's super old receiver and very thin speaker cable. The sound quality is ok, I hope it will be better with a good receiver and cable.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mak15 said:
First, I wanted to thank you for your detailed reply. Now I only have a pair of Theater Research's Front Speaker TR-1621 (They are tall) http://www.trtheaterresearch.com/, a lot of people said it is a scam, but I don't wanted to give them up because I really like them. I tested with my friend's super old receiver and very thin speaker cable. The sound quality is ok, I hope it will be better with a good receiver and cable.
They're white van speakers. Only a scam if you paid too much. The white van style speakers are usually very inefficient, and require a bit of power to get them going. I'd definitely go with the heaviest unit you can afford. The Onkyo may not cut it, but it's the best thing to the next one up (a Pioneer 1015 - which may be a bit out of your price range).

Here's the specs on your speakers:
FREQUENCY RANGE: 60-20 HZ(+ 3db)
SENSITIVITY 88 db,1W,1M

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
3db said:
The latest audio format on DVDs is only 6.1 and even at that, you only get a handful of DVDs. I'm still not convinced about 7.1 Maybe with the Blu-ray and the other high def format of DVDs will 7.1 be used . But thats a while off yet
Yes, but the point was, it is compatible with all current formats. Whether one uses 1 or 2 rear centers is up to them. All of these receivers also have some sort of DSP that will expand whatever you are listening to into 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1, should one decide to do that.

There are quite a few titles out there that are 6.1 also, though only 51 are ES discrete.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis