Basement Home Theater advice... newbie

C

C20Chris

Audiophyte
Ok... I have participated in other forums but never an audio forum. I am new and not very well versed in the audio world. I decided to search the forums before making a purchase and am glad I did as it sounds like I would have been the victim of the Bose marketing trap. The searching and reading I have done thus far has left me a little confused. I live in an area where there isn't much in the way of stores to shop and listen before you buy. Closest best buy is a 1 1/2 hour drive. That being said I am looking for advice and will make my purchasing decision based on the suggestions of others. At the very least I would need to know what to listen to before making a trip to a store.

My basement room is 13' x 30' about 8' ceiling height. My intention is to divide it in half and have the tv area in one half and a pool table in the other half. The basement will consist of insulated drywall walls and the ceiling will be open with floor joist painted flat black (bar like) and berber type carpeting. The usage could be broken up as follows 50%-T.V./sports 20%-XBox 20%-Movies 10%-Music.

My initial thought was a 5.1 set-up. I could be convinced of something else. Physical speaker size doesn't matter. I am completely open to buying used and/or remanufactured. The equipment will probably not see enough (hours or volume) use to worry about a warranty. Actually any suggestions will lead me to ebay and craigslist for used/reman unless there is good reason not to. I basically watch tv/sports, play the Xbox360, occasional movie, and would listen to music while playing pool. My initial budget was $500 but has quickly grown to $1000... would like to stay around there with used/reman equipment. Could be increased if completely necessary.

Current Needs/desires: 3 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output, Auto sound set-up
Don't need/do: stream, wifi, bluetooth, etc. (no high speed internet in my area)

I am looking and am open to any suggestions. Thank you in advance for any help

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
A few suggestions: if that is your profile, since you only watch an occasional movie, then I would opt for a 3.1 system and forego the surround speakers. Put the budget into better fronts as that's where 80% of your sound quality comes from anyway. If you're concerned about that, go ahead and wire up for 5 channels but hold off on buying surround speakers until you decide you need/want them.

C

C20Chris

Audiophyte
I have an older JVC HTiB that hasn't been hooked up in years I could temporarily use the surround speakers from that for surrounds.

I have read through a ton of threads and keep seeing the same sub come up (VTF-3 MK4) and see lots of recommendations that the sub should be purchased new. Is this a good price or would I be able purchase it on sale if I was patient? Is there a comparable sub that I could also watch/wait for a sale on?
VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer - for $659

I also see a lot of recommendations for a yamaha receiver. I am leaning towards the YAMAHA RX-V575 or the RX-V675. I think I will try to source this used (ebay craigslist) or refurbished (accessories4less). I am open to input and recommendations for others.

I am still at a loss for speakers. Maybe the HSU hybrid 2 3.1 package? Would the Yamaha receiver be adequate for this?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Hsu hybrid package would be good. Usually something like a VTF3 would be overkill, but your room is pretty large so I would get the beefiest sub you can afford. There are a lot of options to choose from as far as speakers go at that price point. Ascend, Hsu, Arx, HTD Level Three. I would get something that has no trouble getting nice n loud for a room and situation like yours. The VTF3 is at a pretty good price at the moment, and isn't likely to be discounted further. The Yamaha receivers would be fine. Receivers are something that can be bought used without too much risk (although I must admit I did have a bad experience once).

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Ok before I purchase a Yamaha receiver I am curious to hear opinions on these two receivers. The Sony STR-DN840 or the STR-DN1040. Cnet praises the DN480 but nothing on a forum. The specs sound impressive for the money. The DN1040 being even more impressive for the money.
7.2-channel 4K Wi-Fi Network A/V Receiver - STRDN840 Review - Sony US
7.2-channel 4K Wi-Fi Network A/V Receiver - STRDN1040 Review - Sony US
If you want to ride the Cnet wave, then that is up to you
However, Yamaha here
YAMAHA RX-V575 7.2 Channel Network AV Receiver with Airplay | Accessories4less

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'll just ask it... What do you intend to use for a TV in such a large space? Have you purchased that already?

I'm about to talk you into why you should be using a front projection setup and put in a 120" screen for about $1,200 as it sounds like it would work well in your space.

C

C20Chris

Audiophyte
As far as a TV. I have a 46" Sharp Aquos which I bought almost 7 years ago. $2500 at the time. When I bought it I planned on keeping it 20 years minimum or as long as it was functional. It is currently above a fireplace in the livingroom and is a little large for that space. I will be putting a 40" LED in its place.

I think something like that would be cool but the bottom of the floor joist in my basement is 88" from the floor or 7' 4". This is why I am painting the ceiling black instead of drywall or a drop ceiling. The hope is that it will make the whole area feel taller than it really is. Here is the plan for the basement.

[/URL][/IMG]

Here is a pic I found of the finished look I am going for.

C

C20Chris

Audiophyte
I plan on built in shelves in the angled wall by the electrical panel for the Xbox Dish network box and Receiver. The basement was an empty slate when I started and have spent a lot of time figuring out how to best work in a bathroom, small fitness area, electrical, plumbing, heat, walls, etc. The only thing left is the audio and I have sought help here for that as it is something where my knowledge is lacking to say the least

Don't want to get caught riding any wave or relying on any marketing propaganda. Exact reason I am here asking these questions. My novice eye looks for enough inputs/outputs and then watts per $... again novice with no experience but appreciative of any and all help and suggestions

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Watts are not as important as good speakers. I remember back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth I got a home theater in a box kit... A Kenwood system, from Sam's Club. What did I know? I hadn't really even started in A/V back then, and the speakers were... weak.

A few years later I bought some nice Def Tech speakers. I also bought a VERY nice A/V receiver. But, the receiver was taking four weeks to ship and I had the speakers, so why not hook them up to my Kenwood for the time being? WOW! The jump in audio quality from the cheap Kenwood speakers to the Def Tech speakers was well beyond night and day. The Def Tech speakers were more efficient and produced far more volume with much better sound quality out of the cheap A/V receiver. Bottom line was that better quality in the speakers is better quality all around and where your budget should go.

Oh... and that room is SCREAMING out for a projector! Seriously, that wall demands at least a 92" diagonal.

Put this in perspective, yeah, I have 8' ceilings in my basement... But I have a 161" diagonal down there. With the open joists, you can pretty easily fit a decent projector into the space. Drop a W1070 in there from BenQ and a 92" or 100" screen, and you'll have a home theater setup that is... well... home theater.

C

C20Chris

Audiophyte
Oh... and that room is SCREAMING out for a projector! Seriously, that wall demands at least a 92" diagonal.

Put this in perspective, yeah, I have 8' ceilings in my basement... But I have a 161" diagonal down there. With the open joists, you can pretty easily fit a decent projector into the space. Drop a W1070 in there from BenQ and a 92" or 100" screen, and you'll have a home theater setup that is... well... home theater.
Noted.... possibly down the road.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That will be a killer setup. Hsu is manufacture direct, so no retail locations unless you live in Anaheim CA. That cuts out middle man costs.

C

C20Chris

Audiophyte
Is there a good place to order inexpensive wire and connectors? and what is a good wire size recommendation for the HSU and yamaha set-up.

Receiver and 3.1 HSU package ordered...

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For wires size, if the run is somewhat long, I would go for 14 AWG. If the speakers are going to be near the receiver, 16 or 18 AWG will do.

+1 on the monoprice recommend. You could also just get a roll of cable from Home Depot, functionally its all the same. I bought a 100 ft cable of 14 AWG stranded speaker cable from Home Depot for $20 some time ago, that is a good deal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis