SilverMK3

SilverMK3

Audioholic
Wow, I picked up the box set on a whim for $99 at Futureshop and I have to say that everything about it has floored me so far.

I've only watched the first 4 episodes so far but the story is amazing. The DTS soundtrack is easily as good as the one on Saving Private Ryan and I have absolutely nothing to complain about with the video quality either. I'm glad they only put 2 episodes per disc rather than compressing the hell out of them to try to fit more (a common trend with TV box-sets).

I'm dying to watch the rest!

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
I agree this is a great DVD set, excellent story. They obviously put post-production money in all the right places. This is one of the few war movies I've seen that really get the sound of the weapons right- especially the mortars. I watched this after a year in Iraq and the first mortar round that landed had my heart rate up.

If you like the story I would strongly recommend you pick up the book by Stephen Ambrose. They based the mini-series off the book, but went back and did additional research and interviews to flesh out some pieces of the story.

My kids will watch this and read the book when they get old enough.

~Josh

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
Yeah I really love this series also. I am now in the middle of it of watching it for the 4th or 5th since i got it 2 christmas's ago. This is the first time in DTS though (Only DPL before). It is such an amazing surround track The bullets sound like they are real all around!!!

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I agree whole heatedly about both the book and the TV series. Episodes 6 and seven are also superb and seem very realistic. Also highly recommended is a new biography of Richard (I can't type D!ck here!) Winters "Biggest Brother" by Larry Alexander which I am most of the way through. It was written after the TV series which had many things in it that were not in Ambrose's book. These stories are in the new book and you see where some dramatic licese was taken It wasn't too bad. The most egregious example was the story of Albert Blithe in episode three. All of it in the TV show was true except he DIDN'T DIE. He later fought in Korea! :eek: I wonder what his family thought about that!

Daz3d&Confus3d

Daz3d&Confus3d

Full Audioholic
Richard Winters resides about 15 minutes from my house in PA.....In fact, he eats breakfast on Saturday mornings sometimes at the Palmyra Dutch Diner a mile from my house. (bout 10 minutes from Hershey area).....My stepfather knows him as an acqaintance and he tells me I met him when I was a kid though I don't remember...lol.

Great series!!! Among the best as far as I'm concerned!

M

Methost

Full Audioholic
Daz3d&Confus3d said:
Richard Winters resides about 15 minutes from my house in PA.....In fact, he eats breakfast on Saturday mornings sometimes at the Palmyra Dutch Diner a mile from my house. (bout 10 minutes from Hershey area).....My stepfather knows him as an acqaintance and he tells me I met him when I was a kid though I don't remember...lol.

Great series!!! Among the best as far as I'm concerned!
If you ever bump in to him, remember to thank him.

majorloser

majorloser

If you liked Band of Brothers

If you liked Band of Brother....

Try "Saints and Soldiers"

It was an independent film fairly recently released to DVD.
It's about Allied soldiers caught behind enemy line who have to find their way back to the U.S. line.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373283/

Daz3d&Confus3d

Daz3d&Confus3d

Full Audioholic
Yeah it looks pretty good I'll have to check it out....Im a big war movie buff! thx

I hadn't heard of it, and though independant films often lack the ability (budget) to do grand scale theatrics, they often times provide great story lines and excellent dialogue! Those that don't just plan 'stink'...lol.

S

soundsfine

Audioholic
majorloser said:
If you liked Band of Brother....

Try "Saints and Soldiers"

It was an independent film fairly recently released to DVD.
It's about Allied soldiers caught behind enemy line who have to find their way back to the U.S. line.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373283/
I loved this one. Somehow it felt more "real" to me than others...

Daz3d&Confus3d

Daz3d&Confus3d

Full Audioholic
Yeah I looked for it at blockbuster today, but no,luck...I guess I'll have to buy it at Walmart or something. :confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis