Banana plugs that can fit Acoustic Research 12 gauge wire??

J

jah732

Audiophyte
If this comes across as a duplicate, I apologize. I was typing away and then looked up and saw my screen blanked out.

Anyway, I had originally planned to use bare soldered wires for my speakers because I don't intend to move my speakers around much. However, the Acoustic Research Pro Series II 12 gauge wire I bought is very very very thick. I am having a heck of a time trying to get it into the posts on the back of my Yamaha RX-V750. Also, for some reason I was having a tough time trying to get the wire hot enough to solder it. My soldering gun was useless, and using a propane torch was not much better. Is there special solder I should have used (I was just using plain old electrical solder that has the flux included)? Does the insulation that seems to be at the core of the copper cause problems with soldering?

The AR wire came with some pins, but they are way too small to get the wire through. Some reviews I read about this brand of wire have noted this problem also. I have no idea why AR would include such pins. They make you feel totally inadequate because you cannot get this thick wire through such a small opening. So I am unsure whether or not to trust AR brand of connectors -- they do sell banana plugs but if they thought the pins they included with the 12 gauge wire would work, perhaps their banana plugs have just as small an opening?

So I guess I need some other brand of banana plugs. However, how do I know if they will accommodate this wire? Even though it says it is 12 gauge, my 8 gauge wire strippers still cut a few threads. So if I buy banana plugs that say they can fit 12 gauge wire, I assume they won't work.

What brands do accommodate such thick wire? Will I have to get the type that have a hold in the side (instead of the ends)? I saw Dayton Audio compression type banana plugs on Parts Express that say they can fit up to 8 gauge. They come in a pack of 2 pairs for $6.25 if you buy more than 1 pack. Any opinions on this brand?

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
The Dayton plugs are nice plugs. I'm pretty sure they will handle the AR wire. 8 ga. is pretty thick. I have a few of them for a bedroom system and they seem to work well. I also have these from parts express in the my HT/Music setup.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=091-334

I think they are also Dayton. Well built and good price.

You probably can't go wrong with either.

Shinerman

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis