Balanced XLR questions

mcwilson

mcwilson

Audioholic
I know this subject gets beat to death in these forums, but I need some advice. I just purchased the ATI AVP7.1 pre amp and the ATI 3007 for my HT system. I think I got a pretty decent deal on them. They cost around $6200 for both. But the salesman is trying to convince me to buy silver soldered, balanced XLR cables - 3 pair of 1 meter cables - at a whopping $600 dollars! Is this nuts?

Thanks for the help!

Mark

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Yeah it's nuts.

I cannot tell from your question, but I'll assume that these cables go between the pre and the amp.

Check out ProCo (Parts Express) or Hosa. 3 foot XLRs for under $20 each. You can even get some custom cables made with better quality shielded cable and high end connectors for not much more than ProCo or Hosa.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
There is always the option of building your own cables. You can buy some really good XLR's some Belden or Canare cable and solder some up. Save money and get pride in your own product. :cool:

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Consider that whatever you'll be listening to on this system won't have been recorded or mixed with cables that cost $100/meter. More than likely they were custom made exactly as JoeE SP9 recommends.

If you're not so handy with the solder, ProCo or Monster's professional line are great quality cables for less than 1/4 the cost of the snake oil.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis