Balanced Cable Advice Needed

B

BrianW

Audioholic Intern
Hello,
Newbie here.

I bought the Pono DAP and would like to use my Senny HD 650's with it
A lot of people say that using balanced cables on the Pono makes a big difference so I'm considering buying some.
I know nothing about the difference between normal and balanced cables so I have a few questions.

As I'm handicapped I'm far from rich so I'm hoping that the reports that silver is no better than copper is true as copper is half the price.
Any input on that would be greatly appreciated.

The type of cable I'd need would have the senny pins on one side and two 1/8 males on the other. (the Pono has two mini inputs)
So my other question is...is there an adapter where I can also plug the two 1/8 into my my HeadPhone Amp with one 1/4 input?
And if there is...would adding it degrade the sound from Senny's original cable?

Last edited:
N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Balanced lines are great for noise rejection, but that assumes you have a noise (emi) problem in the first place.
Balanced cables won't make an already noise free signal better. If you can't hear any noise, save your money and stick with the single 1/8 cable. You're not missing anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

BrianW

Audioholic Intern
Balanced lines are great for noise rejection, but that assumes you have a noise (emi) problem in the first place.
Balanced cables won't make an already noise free signal better. If you can't hear any noise, save your money and stick with the single 1/8 cable. You're not missing anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply, Nestor.
A lot of people say (in a HeadFi Pono thread) that balanced cables improves the sound of the Pono Player... so I think it might have more to do with the player than the headphone as far as I know.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
A lot of people jump from bridges every year. Doesn't mean they right. I am really enjoying listening to music on the go with my old S4 phone and nice IEMs (shures se425)
Then im home - I use much bigger phones and zero need for a dedicated dap.

B

BrianW

Audioholic Intern
"A lot of people jump from bridges every year. Doesn't mean they right."

Yes, I know.
That's why I'm trying to get the straight dope here.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Mu best advice is : don't overthink over cables. Good source (mostly referring to actual music recording here) and good headphones is all that really matters

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I wouldn't worry about the cables so much. If it sounds good then you will be fine. If you are having problems then you need to start looking for the source of problem. And even then it might not be the cables.

Silver vs Copper, I myself don't see any benefit from using silver cables. Thick enough copper and you are all fine.

B

BrianW

Audioholic Intern
I wouldn't worry about the cables so much. If it sounds good then you will be fine. If you are having problems then you need to start looking for the source of problem. And even then it might not be the cables.

Silver vs Copper, I myself don't see any benefit from using silver cables. Thick enough copper and you are all fine.
Thanks for your input, Ty

B

BrianW

Audioholic Intern
Perhaps I should have posted my question this way....

If my DAP has the option to play in balanced mode would it make an audible difference to warrant an extra $150.00 for cables?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
"A lot of people jump from bridges every year. Doesn't mean they right."

Yes, I know.
That's why I'm trying to get the straight dope here.
Actually the straight dope can make you jump from bridges apparently. ;)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord

If my DAP has the option to play in balanced mode would it make an audible difference to warrant an extra $150.00 for cables?
My gut feeling is that unless your device has an inherent engineering flaw, a simple "no" would be the answer since, from my experience, balanced cables only cut down on hum and noise pickup under long distance runs at very low levels.

But, from the way this thread is going, I think you want a definitive answer to counter that which you've been told at head-fi. So, who you gonna believe? Who do you WANT to believe?

The only way to get that elusive truth is to try it for yourself and see what your own ears tell you. Buy the cables from someplace that will let you return them if the difference isn't all you're expecting and try it for yourself.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall

I would save the 150$ for some other upgrade than cables. Some have said that HD600 cables are better than HD650 cables, haven't tested this so can't say anything about it. I was thinking about getting better cables for my HD600 but when I started to think more about it I don't want to do it anymore. Why would Sennheiser use bad cables on their headphones in first place? And I'm getting amazing sound out of my HD600 so I'm all set with the stock cables. Only reason I would think of getting custom cables would be longer length.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis