J

jbl-fx

Audiophyte
Hello evryone,

I have a problem that I hope you can help me with. About three weeks ago I purchased a Sony STR-DH520 reciever and hooked it up to our tv and speakers. Right away the breaker for that room began to tripp (never did before). After countless times of switching the breaker back on I took everything off the reciever, and by process of elimination I thought I had found the problem. Plugged every component and speaker one at a time and left it that way for two days at a time to see if breaker would tripp. The very last thing I hooked up was the subwoofer I was using and sure enough the breaker tripped. I un-hooked the woofer only and left it that way for just over a week and the breaker never tripped. Had to to be the woofer right?! So I purchased a new subwoofer. Not 15 minutes after I hooked it up the breaker tripped!!! So it seems that plugging in ANY woofer to the reciever is causing something to happen and tripping the breaker. Is it simply a bad reciever I need to return? Is this a common problem? So odd that only the addition of the woofer makes this happen.

Thanks.

Luis.

A

Actran

Audioholic
It doesn't necessarily mean either the woofer or receiver are bad. You could simply be over stressing the circuit. Woofers can draw a good deal of current when in use so it makes sense that unplugging it resolves the issue.

Have you compared the current draw of your old receiver to that of your new one? I would start there and then check the load at the breaker box to see if your sitting at the threshold. What model was your old receiver?

I would not jump to the assumption that either the woofer or the receiver are bad without checking the load at the breaker box.

Edit: looking at the manual for your receiver, it specifies that it only draws 240W (2A @ 120V) which isn't very much, but if you were at the edge of the breaker limit, you could put yourself over.

Last edited:
Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Agreed with the above post.

It does sound like the sub and receiver combo are pushing the limit of the breaker that they are running on.

Try connecting the sub to a different circuit in the house via a heavy duty extention cord.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Make sure any new circuit you plug the sub into is not on the same breaker, and yes also use a heavy gauge extension cord or longer sub cable.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello evryone,

I have a problem that I hope you can help me with. About three weeks ago I purchased a Sony STR-DH520 reciever and hooked it up to our tv and speakers. Right away the breaker for that room began to tripp (never did before). After countless times of switching the breaker back on I took everything off the reciever, and by process of elimination I thought I had found the problem. Plugged every component and speaker one at a time and left it that way for two days at a time to see if breaker would tripp. The very last thing I hooked up was the subwoofer I was using and sure enough the breaker tripped. I un-hooked the woofer only and left it that way for just over a week and the breaker never tripped. Had to to be the woofer right?! So I purchased a new subwoofer. Not 15 minutes after I hooked it up the breaker tripped!!! So it seems that plugging in ANY woofer to the reciever is causing something to happen and tripping the breaker. Is it simply a bad reciever I need to return? Is this a common problem? So odd that only the addition of the woofer makes this happen.

Thanks.

Luis.
The real question, is what else is in that circuit? You need to switch off the breaker and see what else does not work. If it is like most shoddy built places then you will find a boat load of outlets, lighting etc. on that circuit.

Add up the total loads and work out the current draw, and I bet with your receiver and sub plus everything else it is over 15 amps. If so you will need an electrician to give your system its own circuit.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... Not 15 minutes after I hooked it up the breaker tripped!!! So it seems that plugging in ANY woofer to the reciever is causing something to happen and tripping the breaker. Is it simply a bad reciever I need to return? Is this a common problem? So odd that only the addition of the woofer makes this happen.

Thanks.

Luis.

Welcome may be in order;):D

Please clarify this. Are you talking about a 15 amp breaker in a sub panel in the house? Where are you plugging in the sub, into the receiver outlet or an outlet on a wall? And, as was mentioned by TLS, what else is on in that room?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis