Bad circuit breaker or what? Yamaha RXV1500

D

derekwwww

Audioholic
I have been having this trouble with my receiver for some time. Sometimes out of nowhere (not playing hard or anything) the amp will shut off. Then when you go to turn it back on it shuts itself off. Then a few days later when you go back to try it it will work. Then work for a day or two and do it again. I can even have no sources hooked up, no speaker wires or nothing, just the power cord, and it will still do it. You can turn it on and off for a few days, then its down for a few days. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I am thinking maybe the little circuit breaker in the receiver needs replacing?

Thanks...

Last edited:
Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Sounds like an internal short.
Just a guess from an electronics moron: It may take some time for the capacitors to discharge before allowing the receiver to restart.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you do not want to look into replacing the reciever you might want to take it to a tech to look at. Obviously something is wrong with it. Could be any number of things with such erratic behavior. Amplifiers dont really have "circuit breakers" in the sense that an electrical panel does. They have number of protection devices against overcurrent, High temperature and short circuit but from your descirption it doesnt sound like any of these. Without an experienced tech digging into the unit itself there is really nothing that can be said with any certainty as to what it could be.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Receiver shutdown

Double check the back of the receiver and at each speaker to make sure there are not any stray strands of wire that it are causing a short and the shutdown. Also, if the receiver is not well ventilated and is getting very hot, that can prompt the protection mode.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis