Bad amp, ML dynamo 300

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Sub bumps when switching phase and turning off, no other sound via any inputs. Can I use any amp in line from the sub out on my receiver to power the sub or will into xover issues? Or should I just get a new plate amp off of partsexpress or somewhere else?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Sub bumps when switching phase and turning off, no other sound via any inputs. Can I use any amp in line from the sub out on my receiver to power the sub or will into xover issues? Or should I just get a new plate amp off of partsexpress or somewhere else?
That is a small sub with an 8" driver ported with an F3 of 32 Hz. If you use a amp without a high pass filter around 25 Hz you will blow the woofer quickly. Below tuning drivers decouple from the box in ported subs, and excursion becomes excessive and damaging.

M

mkmcali

Audiophyte
Hi, I know this post is a couple weeks old, but FWIW, I actually had a bad amplifier on the same sub. I contacted the folks at ML and they were super helpful - after proving that I had bought the sub in the last year (even though it was refurbished on Amazon), they provided me with a mailing label. I pulled the amplifier out of the sub's enclosure, put it in a cardboard box, and sent it to them. Within a week they mailed me a replacement amplifier and my office 2.1 system was back in business. The whole process was painless and efficient. If you haven't reached out to them, it might be worth doing so. Hope this was was helpful.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd always go for the larger sub you can afford/fit.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Recommend dayton 10 or 12? Have a 5month baby so don't need anything crazy, just enough to add something to movies (assuming either would be a decent upgrade from the 8" logan)
12" will be better, you have the output control so it won't go to crazy levels no matter what size you go.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Well months later I run into the receipt for the logan, contacted them and a new amp is on its way. I had like three days left under warranty.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis