Backboxes for In-ceiling Speakers

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm curious what material would I use for backboxes for In-ceiling speakers?
MDF is probably the best, use the top grade.

Do you know what size box to use? Did the manufacturer specify a closed box volume? If not, if you have the Thiele/Small parameters, I can model the optimal box for you. If sealed, then the box should be filled, but not compressed with Polyfil.

The optimal sealed box volume for those drivers is 0.25 cu.ft.

S

Stealth19

Audiophyte
MDF is probably the best, use the top grade.

Do you know what size box to use? Did the manufacturer specify a closed box volume? If not, if you have the Thiele/Small parameters, I can model the optimal box for you. If sealed, then the box should be filled, but not compressed with Polyfil.

The optimal sealed box volume for those drivers is 0.25 cu.ft.
This is what Focal said, "Thank you for contacting us, the average stud bank is roughly 2.75 cubic feet and the Littora products are designed to be installed into this area. When building back boxes, I would recommend that the enclosure be no less than 2 cubic feet. Any less and it would impact the performance of the speaker in the low-end extension."

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This is what Focal said, "Thank you for contacting us, the average stud bank is roughly 2.75 cubic feet and the Littora products are designed to be installed into this area. When building back boxes, I would recommend that the enclosure be no less than 2 cubic feet. Any less and it would impact the performance of the speaker in the low-end extension."
Did they provide you with the T/S parameters, so I can check if they are right or not? In any event it is not a good idea for an Atmos ceiling speaker to go lower than 120 to 100 Hz. I used Mark Audio drivers, crossed at 120 Hz, and they work perfectly for Atmos ceiling speakers.

In any event, my view is that 100% of these Atmos ceiling speakers are all wrongly and stupidly designed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis