B

BlacklistRogue

Enthusiast
Hello. I've posted on here before about s similar situation but now the plot thickens. My grandfather passed some time ago and left my some audio stuff which I sold to help my grand mother pay some bills. Well we finally cleaned out one of his many storage garages he owned and came across some Bower and Wilkins 800D speakers. They are in great shape and worked great when the local place tested. My issue is now we would like to sell them. Would it be best to sell locally due to size or is it worth shipping to someone to pay the price.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Post on audiogon.com . Shipping will eat into cost but to sell may have to. I'd contact a local shipper and ask for crating cost and post both

B

BlacklistRogue

Enthusiast
Post on audiogon.com . Shipping will eat into cost but to sell may have to. I'd contact a local shipper and ask for crating cost and post both
Yeh that's what I'm doing checking into local shippers. Do you think audiogon will be better than eBay. Audiogon seems to take a lot of the sale

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yeh that's what I'm doing checking into local shippers. Do you think audiogon will be better than eBay. Audiogon seems to take a lot of the sale
It's up to you on that. I like audiogon buyers as a personal preference but it's 6 of one a half dozen of the other IYKWIM

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Shipping 800Ds is pretty involved. First of all, call B&W and order a pair of factory shipping crates. They are specially made for those curved cabinets, I think they're on a pallet. I wouldn't be surprised if they're hundreds of dollars each. If you and a friend can't do it, hire some movers to help you pack them up. To ship, you'll need to call a freight company that can handle residential pallet pick-ups. It'll be pricey, but the speakers are probably worth $10K, if they're in mint condition.

B

BlacklistRogue

Enthusiast
Shipping 800Ds is pretty involved. First of all, call B&W and order a pair of factory shipping crates. They are specially made for those curved cabinets, I think they're on a pallet. I wouldn't be surprised if they're hundreds of dollars each. If you and a friend can't do it, hire some movers to help you pack them up. To ship, you'll need to call a freight company that can handle residential pallet pick-ups. It'll be pricey, but the speakers are probably worth $10K, if they're in mint condition.
Ok I'll call about that. I have a friend that works as A shipper really helping me out. They are in great condition. They are the rose wood color and sound really good

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, unless you have the original packaging boxes or crates, I think you should only sell locally.

Those diamond tweeters are very fragile and I wouldn't risk breaking them.

When my local dealer delivered my first pair of 802 D2 to my house, they actually broke one of the diamond tweeters. And that was a Local 20 mile delivery!!!

At a good price, the 800D should sell in a hurry. People from adjacent states will be willing to drive to pick up if the price is right.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis