B&K Reference 30 noise

D

dms8812

Audiophyte
I have a B&K Reference 30 pre/pro which I have been using for about year. The rest of the system comprises three Adcom GFA-565 mono blocks which I use for the front left, front right and center channel; a Carver TFM-35x in mono mode for my sub and two Kenwood KM-106 amps for the side and rear speakers. My CD/DVD is a five disc Toshiba SD-4205. Front, center and sub systems are all home brew with Dynaudio and Audax drivers. Sides are Sony 6.5" two-ways and rears are JBL Control 1C minis.

Here's my problem: There is a definite buzz in the subwoofer channel which changes frequency when I switch sources. When I am using the Toshiba player, it appears to be around 800 hz and gets lower or higher when I switch to my video tuner, turntable, VCR or cassette deck. I have disconnected all components and have operated the system with nothing connected to the inputs of the B&K with the same results. I have tried reversing AC plugs, have lifted the AC supplies from ground in every combination and still the same buzzing. I have shipped the B&K back to the factory twice and was told both times it passes all their tests and there is nothing wrong with it. I have arout 3 years left on the 5 year warranty. I am convinced there either is a problem with the B&K or it is not not set up properly. The owner's manual is very cryptic in spots and it took quite a while for me to set the thing up. Outside of the buzz, I am very satisfied with the performance of the combination of components.

Anybody?

dms8812

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis