AXPONA 2014 Coverage: Source Devices, Preamps, Amps and Loudspeakers

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/Blu-ray & Misc Hardware' started by admin, May 8, 2014.

1. admin Audioholics Robot Staff Member

admin
    AXPONA (Audio Expo North America) is an annual high end audio show which has been held in Rosemont, IL (a suburb of Chicago) for the last few years. With all manner of audio gear to drool over, we've had to break up coverage into three sections. In part one, we go over the multitude of source devices present, including turntables, CD/SACD players, digital music file players, and even a reel-to-reel player. If you'd like to ogle a few pictures of source devices that cost more than your average midsized sedan, click to keep reading.
    [​IMG]

Check out our AXPONA 2014 Coverage of Analog and Digital Source Devices

Warning: prolonged exposure may cause drooling.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Steve81 Audioholics 5-O

Steve81
    Thanks for all the fine photos James :) I'm too young to be nostalgic about vinyl & reel to reel, but I'm looking forward to the loudspeaker segment :D
    • Like Like x 1
  3. agarwalro Audioholic Ninja

agarwalro
    I guess...

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014
  4. shadyJ Audioholic Ninja

shadyJ
    Octave rack (1 of 1).jpg Octave Jubilee mono amp (1 of 1).jpg

Look at this beast of an amplifier I took a picture of at Axpona. Its called the Octave Jubilee, a monoblock amplifier that costs over $33,000. I have other pictures I might post later, right now I have to run. Is it dumb, yes. Do I want a pair, yes. That black stripe down the front is actually marble. That is pretty sweet. I wish I could have marble on all my gear. Hell, I would wear marble if it were socially acceptable.
  5. shadyJ Audioholic Ninja

shadyJ
    Burmester 102 CD Player, 100 phono preamp, 909 amplifier alt (1 of 1).jpg
    That big shiny thing at the bottom of that stack is the Burmester 909, it's a 600 watt x 2 @ 4 ohms amplifier. It also has a 1,250 watt x 2 @ 1 ohm spec. Burmester claims it is stable for a 1 ohm load. It costs $73,500. It's stupid and I want one.
  6. FozzieT Enthusiast

FozzieT
    So, why the photo of the gorgeous Monitor Audio speakers, but no review? Did they suck?
  7. haraldo Audioholic Spartan

haraldo
    What's stupid about that?
    I'd like to buy a Goldmund amp ... that makes the Burmester 909 look like a bargain ... but I will never be able to afford it .... not even in my dreams ....
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  8. shadyJ Audioholic Ninja

shadyJ
    I think $73k for an amp is dumb. You could take a monster pro-amp like a powersoft digam k10, have it modified, and hire a guy to put it in an ultra fancy custom case for a lot lot lot less than $73k. I still think the Burmester is cool, but it's just a poor value.
  9. oppman99 Senior Audioholic

oppman99
    I just don't understand the appeal of vinyl. IMO digital sounded better in every room that had both vinyl and digital sources. I thought the sq was much better at last year's show as well.