AXPONA 2014 Coverage: Source Devices, Preamps, Amps and Loudspeakers

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
AXPONA (Audio Expo North America) is an annual high end audio show which has been held in Rosemont, IL (a suburb of Chicago) for the last few years. With all manner of audio gear to drool over, we've had to break up coverage into three sections. In part one, we go over the multitude of source devices present, including turntables, CD/SACD players, digital music file players, and even a reel-to-reel player. If you'd like to ogle a few pictures of source devices that cost more than your average midsized sedan, click to keep reading.

Check out our AXPONA 2014 Coverage of Analog and Digital Source Devices

Warning: prolonged exposure may cause drooling.

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Thanks for all the fine photos James :) I'm too young to be nostalgic about vinyl & reel to reel, but I'm looking forward to the loudspeaker segment :D

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I guess...

Last edited by a moderator:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Octave rack (1 of 1).jpgOctave Jubilee mono amp (1 of 1).jpg

Look at this beast of an amplifier I took a picture of at Axpona. Its called the Octave Jubilee, a monoblock amplifier that costs over $33,000. I have other pictures I might post later, right now I have to run. Is it dumb, yes. Do I want a pair, yes. That black stripe down the front is actually marble. That is pretty sweet. I wish I could have marble on all my gear. Hell, I would wear marble if it were socially acceptable.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Burmester 102 CD Player, 100 phono preamp, 909 amplifier alt (1 of 1).jpg
That big shiny thing at the bottom of that stack is the Burmester 909, it's a 600 watt x 2 @ 4 ohms amplifier. It also has a 1,250 watt x 2 @ 1 ohm spec. Burmester claims it is stable for a 1 ohm load. It costs $73,500. It's stupid and I want one.

FozzieT

FozzieT

Enthusiast
So, why the photo of the gorgeous Monitor Audio speakers, but no review? Did they suck?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
View attachment 13541
That big shiny thing at the bottom of that stack is the Burmester 909, it's a 600 watt x 2 @ 4 ohms amplifier. It also has a 1,250 watt x 2 @ 1 ohm spec. Burmester claims it is stable for a 1 ohm load. It costs $73,500. It's stupid and I want one.
What's stupid about that?
I'd like to buy a Goldmund amp ... that makes the Burmester 909 look like a bargain ... but I will never be able to afford it .... not even in my dreams ....

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think $73k for an amp is dumb. You could take a monster pro-amp like a powersoft digam k10, have it modified, and hire a guy to put it in an ultra fancy custom case for a lot lot lot less than $73k. I still think the Burmester is cool, but it's just a poor value.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
I just don't understand the appeal of vinyl. IMO digital sounded better in every room that had both vinyl and digital sources. I thought the sq was much better at last year's show as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis