Axiom vs Ascend (Advice Sought)

S

Scott R.

Audiophyte
I am torn between the reviews of Axiom and Ascend surround systems. I am going to power these speakers with either a NAD T773 or a Marantz 8500receiver, what would you recommend and why? Thanks.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Which ones? Try to listen for yourself and decide which you like. I've heard the M22 and the M60 and prefer Ascend 170 and 340 respectively. That doesn't mean you are going to have the same taste in sound. Ascend is coming out with the SEAS Editions in mid-January. It will feature a SEAS tweeter and new polygel woofers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd give the nod to the Ascends also. I'd recommend 340s all around and a nice sub :) Either receiver should be great.

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
For a Risk of about $20 - $40, you can try a pair of Axiom M3's and Ascend 170's in your own home. Both companies will then let you complete a system with system pricing, and you return the "losing" speaker.

With Ascend, you pay shipping both ways. This means a pair of 170's is going to run you $344 Delivered. With Axiom, you just pay return shipping, so a pair of M3's will run you $300 delivered.

If you are thinking Floorstanding (with the level of receiver you are mentioning, floorstanders are sensible) - try a pair of M50's vs. a pair of 340's with the stands. Shipping will be about $40 on the 340's w/stands - so a pair delivered is about $688 vs. $700 on the Axioms.

This way, YOU decide which you prefer. :)

Last edited:
S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
As Craig has posted, listening for yourself is the only way to go in this matter.

Food for thought though, with some quick research, the speakers that seem more comparable from the two companies are CBM-170's vs M22's and CMT-340's and M60's.

Reading Ascend's own forum, the new Seas tweeter mention for the upcoming SE versions of the Ascends is VERY interesting in speakers of this price. Couple that with the added bass response of the new woofer, these speakers that were raved about before are possibly even better. Of course you have to wait a month or so to find out.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
I would agree that the proper comparisions should be the 170 to the M22 and the 340 to the M60.

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
Scott,

I'm in the same boat as you - you can spend all day searching forums for a definitive opinion on this topic and you'll find people on both sides of the fence in roughly equal measure. I'd suggest you follow the sage advice listed here - try out a pair then send the loser home. That's my plan for when I purchase a few months from now. :D :D :D

If/when you do, I'm looking forward to your impressions and decision!

~Josh

J

jeffvee

Audioholic
Ascend CMT 340

Tex-amp said:
Which ones? Try to listen for yourself and decide which you like. I've heard the M22 and the M60 and prefer Ascend 170 and 340 respectively. That doesn't mean you are going to have the same taste in sound. Ascend is coming out with the SEAS Editions in mid-January. It will feature a SEAS tweeter and new polygel woofers.
Where can Ascend speakers be heard or bought?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis