B

bodidley

Audiophyte
Hi,

I'm new here and have been lurking in the background, trying to soak up as much 'knowledge" as possible. The last time I ventured into a stereo specialty store was about 25 years ago when I had much time on my hands, but things have slowed down a bit to where I can finally address my need to replace those Cantons I bought in 1978. My family room (16 x 38) will be completed in about a week, but the intended HT viewing area should be a more reasonable 16 x 12. The floor will be a polyurethaned concrete, the ceilings are 8', and one of the walls is a window (16' but 8' of it is a glass slider). I want to make this HT system an easy decision. I'm looking for a mid-level system (don't want to regret buying something 3 months later), with the intent that after time and my urge to upgrade, I'll be able to move this system into the basement for the kids. I'm planning to go the separates route electronics-wise. I'm not opposed to buying a "system" from a well regarded manufacturer at this point in time. I also do not want to upset the 'balance' by introducing huge towers in this space as the wife will start questioning my motives. I need to keep this under the radar, unobtrusive, if you get my drift. I came upon Aperion at the Home Entertainment show in NYC this weekend and was impressed the systems offered. Anyone care to comment on Aperion vs. Axiom? I don't know if this is an ongoing debate, but both manufacturers are direct sellers, and from what I've read, offer quality stuff.

I'm looking at the Aperion 5.1 system: 522D mains, 522D-VAC center, 522D-SS surrounds and S-10 sub. This looks like a good starting point. I'm not sure what the Axiom equilvilent system would be. Eventually I'll be getting the itch to upgrade (if my guitar(GAS) sickness is any indication).

BTW, there is a show special ongoing at Aperion (as long as they have product) where they're getting rid of the 522 speakers at a reduced cost to accomodate their new line, 533 and 633 (you can also save on the new line if you mention the show special).

Thanks,
Bo

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
WAF is hardest thing to overcome

Wife Acceptance Factor ....I hear ya there. How much are you willing to spend?

B

bodidley

Audiophyte
I guess I'd be looking to spend 1200. for a 5.1 system.I'm not married to Aperion or Axiom, I'm certainly open to other options as well. I'm only concerned with buying a system that I won't feel the need to update too soon. Updating is inevitable with me. As with anything else, cars, guitars, cameras, etc, I will feel a compunction to make things better, to move towards a greater perfection.

Bottom line: I can't leave well enough alone, and it's my cross to bear.

Bo

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
I'd be concerned of the Axioms with concrete floors. I don't have experience with Aperion but when comparing Rockets, Ascend Acoustics, and Axiom at a get-together the Axioms would get a little squirrelly on the highs; not good with the hard reflection off concrete floors. Aperion offers free shipping both ways so maybe pick up the center channel or fronts from one other consumer direct and compare. Look at Ascend Acoustics and Rockets by AV123 in addition to Axiom and Aperion.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Those 522d's are you refering to the bookshelf or powered towers?

they both look pretty nice. You might want to check out BIC too, I always tell people that, but I really like their products. The DV62 clr is one of the best center chan speakers made. They have some nice towers that use passive radiators, which IMO is a very good design. They also have powered towers. The company has been around a long time, and back their products with a 7yr parts and labor guarantee.

http://www.bicamerica.com

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I'd say 4 PSB 2B's, a 9C, and a SVS PB10 should do the trick, quite nicely I might add. The PSB's can be had at soundcity.com really cheaply, and the SVS can be found at svsubwoofers.com. I use pretty much this setup, albeit with an inferior sub and an 8C center, but I'm very happy. That Bic America Acoustech sysem looks really good too, and has towers if you'd prefer that.

B

bodidley

Audiophyte
The 522's are the bookshelf speakers, not the power towers. Power Towers are the new models...I'll be using an area rug in this room, but the room will still be on the bright side I guess. Curtains and some furniture will help although I'm a bit of a minimalist, so this will take some getting used to.

I talked to the Ascend and Aperion people, and they have the "david vs. goliath, we bend over backwards for the customer" marketing thing down pat. It's actually refreshing considering how most companies go out of their way to make you hate them.

Bo.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Sounds like your room is going to be very bright. I'd stay away from the Bic America Acoustech, and any klipsh product for sure. You are going to need something that puts out more in the lower freq range, and is soft on top. I'd really take a look at the BIC venturi DV84 for the fronts and a DV62clrs for the center.

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
GAS is the worst. You spend and spend all this money for little metal boxes that in essence do the same thing.30 distortion boxes, 25 whammey peadls, 13 wah-wahs, 48 overdrives, 1 all-in-one.

Paul

J

jrw222

Enthusiast
Do any of these companies allow demo periods so you can hear them in your own house with your own system. I have a similarly "hard" room with tile floors and a tall ceiling. I was thinking about Axiom floor speakers (the big ones), but it sounds like they may be too bright. Sounds like Aperion may be a better way to go, can someone comment on this?

JRW

B

bodidley

Audiophyte
Yes, they all allow a 30 day demo period. Pretty generous I think. I guess you'd have too considering there's no where to demo these speakers unless you buy them. A small price to pay considering what Bose probably pays in overhead on a yearly basis. I'd bet the return rate is fairly low...

Bo.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hello All
I am currently in the middle of a review of the Axiom M-80,VP-150,QS-8
and EP-600 I would not characterize the high end a squirrelly. I would say that this system is very revealing,dynamic, aggressive,balanced and will deliver high spl levels.These are the exact traits to look for in a speaker you are considering for high impact Home Theater or multi channel systems

Many times the consumer will get a demo of a speaker with an aggressive sound track with high impact explosions fast pans and a lot of acoustical information present in the demo at the same time, This is a good way to sell speakers but a poor way to evaluate their performance as a whole.

I suggest you also listen to subtle parts of a demo with lots of Foley effects and dialog typically a speaker with a very laid back or warm presentation does not convey this type of information with authority and often mask subtle effects that are present in the track.

A very good demo with this kind of information is the bedroom scene in the movie The Haunting It has everything you need to evaluate a speaker for Home Theater applications. Listen to the subtle effects in this track starting with the candle flickering in the breeze, the breath of the woman in the bed The footsteps of Cathy Z Jones as she walks to the door and the creak of the door as she closes it as the track progresses you will eventually end with hard pans and all the wow type material you need to judge the dynamic capabilities of the speaker .

I don't want to reveal too many portions of my review of the Axiom speaker line but if I was shopping for a speaker and they were in my budget they would be at or near the top of my list to consider ;)

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
All the internet consumer directs have a 30 day in home trial period.

I was referrring to the M22(as I assumed from his price range was what he is looking at) I don't know if the larger Axioms have the same tweeter. My experience was the M22 lost control of the high end of highs(violin pieces). I found the M60 not to have the clarity and separation of the Ascend 340s or Rocket 550s or M22 for that matter but don't recall it's highs. My personal choice of the two Axiom models I've heard would be the M22s and a good sub over the M60s. I have not heard the M80. All the listening was done with music no movies.

Last edited:
B

bodidley

Audiophyte
Thanks all. I appreciate the imput. I think I'll have to purchase 4 or 5 systems at one time and A/B them to find the one I like. Sounds like a bit of work, but if I go ahead with this lunacy I should have my answer.

Just one thing, where am I going to keep all the boxes?

Bo

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
....torch them boxes.....there's your WAF factor....remove books first....then go inside and crank it.....

J

JurisFrog

Enthusiast
I am an Aperion owner--I think they're great. I cannot speak to the Axioms, as I never tried them. The brightness issue can be a concern, but the receiver choice also makes a difference. My Aperions sounded much brighter with the Yamaha than with the Denon, so I went with a Denon 2805. They sound very even in my room, which is also somewhat minimalist. I own the 522's, 522C center and the 422's for surround. They are great, and if you can get them for a show special, so much the better. After all, there is little to lose with a 30 day trial and a 10-year warranty. What is the warranty on Axioms?

Note, I actually covet the 522 powered towers, because of the two subwoofers that are built in. Many audiophiles have two subwoofers in their system to prevent localization of the deep bass. Unfortunately, I do not have the space for towers. If you have the space, maybe that's the best answer. Good luck.

R

renfronics

Enthusiast
RLA - is there a huge difference between the Axiom 500 and 600 sub? The 600 looks just huge in the pictures - not sure I have the room - one thing for sure - don't have a WAF which makes things much easier and just got a large IRS Refund Check. I'm strongly considering Axiom line - at least for front, center, and side - would you recommend a better sub than 500??? - I'm sure I can look around on here and find lots of opinions -

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hi
You are making a very good money wise decision considering the Axiom speakers.
I have not had much playtime with the 600 because I am working on other reviews, but I will say that what little I have heard so far has impressed me

If you can hold out a little longer Audioholics will have reviews of both the 500 and the 600 I think we have already received the 500 for review :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis