M

mikey d

Junior Audioholic
So whatever happened to axiom. It wasn't so far back that they were touted as a pretty great value.
In fact I bought the epic 80 system minus the sub based off of the reviews here and am pretty happy.

I'm looking to replace the old sub now, axioms prices went up and it seems like they have not innovated anything new since I purchased and there is definitely no love on the forum for them anymore.

The wife wants to know why not axiom, they will match and were really good to use with some issues we had. We moved cross country, cali to florida and axiom sent us boxes and packing material at no cost for us to pack them up.

That being said the best value/performance seems to be SVS. Im looking forward to getting 2 smaller, the pb-2000 now that its available or possibly a pc/pb 13ultra. Havent decided which yet.

I consider either choices my first real sub, the current is pretty crappy and am pretty excited about the new addition/s

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You answered your own question in the second paragraph. The good news is that you have a LOT of great choices in that price range.

E

exlabdriver

Axiom subs are a good, proven design but some think that they are dated and overpriced as contrasted to the many new competitors in the marketplace now. Being completely built in North America does not help the on the price front.

In the past year I have purchased one EP-400 500W 8" unit for my Tube Amp audio-only sat/sub 2 channel system. I was so impressed with it's deep, powerful and articulate musical performance that I bought a second one. For me, acquiring that much superlative performance from a couple of very small boxes that matched my decor was worth every penny that I paid.

Along with several other new projects that have been released lately, I understand that Axiom is in the process of updating their sub line as well...

TAM

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
You answered your own question in the second paragraph. The good news is that you have a LOT of great choices in that price range.
One imagines Ilkka's bench testing of the EP600 way back when did Axiom's subwoofer business no favors either.
Axiom EP-600 (2nd test) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

In short, an $1,800 sub that performed on par with the $430 SVS PB10-ISD.
SVS PB10-ISD (2nd unit) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Axiom subs are a good, proven design but some think that they are dated and overpriced as contrasted to the many new competitors in the marketplace now.
There is also good proven designs from other brands (SVS, HSU, PSA, Rythmik) that have excellent performance and outperform a similar sized Axiom subwoofer for much less. A SVS PB12 Plus absolutely destroys a Axiom EP600 and its about $500 cheaper. The SVS PB12 NSD exceeds the EP600 and is around $1000 cheaper.

That is not saying Axiom subwoofers are bad. The perform decently but its the prices that are way out of line in today's marketplace. I can get similar performance of the EP400 and size for half the price from the competitors.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Our subwoofer measurement procedure sets the industry standard for objectively evaluating subwoofer performance. Here is an article on how to interpret our results along with a tabulated PDF attachment so you can directly compare products. We tested 3 Axiom subwoofers along with many competing products. Though we didn't run CEA-2010 data, you can compare sine swept data from various products and interpolate the results.

Audioholics Subwoofer Measurement Data Compilation & Report | Audioholics

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
I think Axiom built most of their products before a lot of measurement tools became available for cheap and a lot of people didn't realize some of the problems of Axiom products, for example when 3rd party's started doing spectral decay plot measurements of Axiom speakers like Skiing Ninja they showed how dated some of the designs were.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis