D

Diamondog

Audiophyte
I have listened to both the Axiom M80's and the Paradigm Monitor 11's and am trying to decide which I am going to get. I have a technical question about the speakers and my receiver. A Denon 4308CI will be driving the speakers, the Axioms are 4 Ohms Impedance the Monitor 11's say compatable with 8 Ohms. In my Denon manual it states as a note:

Use speakers with an impedance of 6 to 16 Ω/ohms. When using
surround A and B speakers simultaneously, use speakers with an
impedance of 8 to 16 Ω/ohms.
• Connect the speaker cables in such a way that they do not stick out
of the speaker terminals. The protection circuit may be activated if
the core wires touch the rear panel or if the + and – sides touch each
other (v “Protection circuit”).
• Never touch the speaker terminals while the power supply is
connected. Doing so could result in electric shock.

If speakers with an impedance lower than specified (for example
4 Ω/ohms speakers) are used for an extended period of time with
the volume turned up high, the temperature may rise, activating the
protection circuit.
When the protection circuit is activated, the speaker output is shut
off and the power indicator flashes red. If this happens, unplug
the power cord, then check the speaker cable and input cable
connections. If the set is extremely hot, wait for it to cool off and
improve ventilation around it. Once this is done, plug the power cord
back in and turn the set's power back on.
If the protection circuit is activated again even though there are no
problems in the ventilation around the set nor in the connections,
the set may be damaged. Turn the power off, then contact a DENON
service center.

I am guessing the Axioms are not suitable for my receiver??

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Your Denon 4308CI will drive the 4ohm M80's just fine. In fact that is a really nice receiver to power them with. Denon receivers are very good in general for driving 4 ohm speakers without any shutdown issues, even with their lower end models.

D

Diamondog

Audiophyte
Your Denon 4308CI will drive the 4ohm M80's just fine. In fact that is a really nice receiver to power them with. Denon receivers are very good in general for driving 4 ohm speakers without any shutdown issues, even with their lower end models.
I am just wondering why Denon says to use 6-16??? and lists using less can cause problems? Or am I just not reading or understanding how it works properly which is more than possible lol

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I am just wondering why Denon says to use 6-16??? and lists using less can cause problems? Or am I just not reading or understanding how it works properly which is more than possible lol
Denon is just being cautious, like any manufacturer. You can pose this question on the Axiom forum as well but there are many happy people powering the M80's with Denon models even below the 4308CI without any issues. The power supplies Denon uses seems to be robust in these units.

S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
I'm using a Pioneer Elite 56txi

Hi: I'm using a Pio 56txi to drive the M60's and I have no problems what so ever in fact I'm sure at times my neighbor's know exactly what I'm watching/listening to!!! LOL;):D(I think most speakers fluctuate between 8-4 Ohms at least some of the time) the 56txi also says what your Denon does about 6-16 Ohms as MinusTheBear said just being conservative.The Denon's seem to be very good on "bench tests" in meeting(or almost meeting)their specs.the 80's should be just fine enjoy them!!!

D

Diamondog

Audiophyte
Thnx all!

If anyone else has input different please feel free!

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Thnx all!

If anyone else has input different please feel free!
Just for reassurance about the Denon and and give you piece of mind about your purchase, post this exact question on the Axiom forum. Plenty of people use the M80's with various Denon models. You should get a ton of feedback from owners of both brands.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
No need to ask there, you will get the same answer. I'm currently using a 2808 to drive my M80s and it barely gets warm. Denon is one of the receiver brands recommended by Axiom because of the consistant quality of their power supply/amp section.

I think the 6Ohm statement actually has something to do with UL or some other safety cert. for consumer grade electronics.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As Fred said, they probably have to say those things due to the UL requirements. It is kind of a silly game in the sense that any receivers or even amps will get themselves and the driven speakers in trouble if the volume is turned high enough. Get your hands on any separate pre/power amp systems, turn the volume to say 3 o'clock position, leave it there for an hour and then tell me if everything is fine!!

If you read through the Denon site FAQ stuff you will find that they claim their receivers can in fact be used to power 4 ohm speakers. However, in many cases, receivers are not the best choice for mid range to high end 4 ohm speakers. It is best to power them with high power amplifiers.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
However, in many cases, receivers are not the best choice for mid range to high end 4 ohm speakers. It is best to power them with high power amplifiers.
Thats a whole other can 'o worms.

I listen in a 1700 cu. ft. room at a distance of 8-10'. I only need 70w to listen at reasonably loud levels (85db avg.) and still have plenty of headroom.

If you are in a big room and 18' from the speakers, you will need separates.

FWIW, the M80s are 91db@ 1w @ 1meter, so reasonably efficient.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis