Axiom M22's as surrounds with the M60's

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
I have had my M60's for about 18-20 months & recently decided to match them with some surrounds. I had been using some Klipsch KB-1.1's & a rather cheap Klipsch cc & the combo wasn't bad at all........a bit bright a loud volumes but I kind of expected that. I figured the acquisition of some Axiom surrounds & cc would finish off my system &, theoretically, sound a bit better.
I use my system in about a 50/50 split.........really enjoy listening.
My current setup........side to side in a 14 x 30 room:

Yamaha RX-V3300
Mitsu. DD-6030
3 Optimus mpa-250 amps (1 each in mono for mains, 1 for the rears)
Velodyne DLS4000 sub

Well, unfortunately, I find the sound to be brighter now..........especially if I listen with the cc in the mix. I just moved into a new house & the room is not treated whatsoever, but I noticed this when I was still in my apt. (equally untreated). The Axiom rep said they normally recommend the qs4's or 8's for surrounds but I told him I was interested in either the M3's or M22's & he suggested the M22's would be a fine match.
The M22's by themselves sound excellent & the overall timbre is solid now.........but it's very forward even at 1/3 to 1/2 volume, which is about where I like to listen.

I'm considering trading them in for the qs4's........but i gotta hurry up & decide.....only a few days left in my trial period.

Any feedback?

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
im not sure if the qs8's or qs4's would sound any less bright, but i think they are better for side surrounds. Some people like to use monopole speakers as rear surrounds if you decide to keep them.

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
Monopolar speakers like the M22s are supposed to be better as surrounds for five channel music (SACD and DVD-A) and bipolar or dipolar speakers like QS8s are supposed to be better as surrounds for sound-effects in movies. The best way to find out would be to have both in your house at the same time and A-B them. Ask Axiom if you can do that.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
I'm most likely going to hold on to the 22's & do some more experimenting with placement. Since I'm now in a house I'm going to try some room treatment as well. I expected some change or I wouldn't have bought these in the 1st place. I got what I wanted in one sense but also something I hadn't really expected.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis