Axiom Audio LFR1100 Tower Loudspeaker Preview

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Expensive speakers doesn't necessarily equate to quality. If you take a look at the garbage coming out of Wilson Audio or Vienna Acoustic.. their frequency response is analogous to a ski hill filled with moguls. Combine that with their absurd asking price ...:rolleyes:

I'd rather the Axioms knowing where they cut corners than buy anything from Wilson or Vienna Acoustics. The funny thing, even with their short cuts, tehe Axioms will out perform the Wilson and the Vienna Acoustics in frequency response uniformity an linearity.

Is Axiom the last word in speakers? Hell no. Can you buy better in their price range? I think so. Do they deserve the bashing thats going on in this thread? I don't think so. They are much better than the Wilsons and the Vienna Acoustics of this world by a country mile.
I gently disagree at one point.... the Vienna Acoustics, Mahler is among one of my all time favorite speakers and if measured the way it's supposed to be listened to is quite flat..... I do have a very high regards for Peter Gangsterer and would really like to audition Vienna Acoustics The Music :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How is it possible that the Infinity P362 is so cheaply built, yet measures quite well compared to a lot of speakers?

I was listening to all my speakers yesterday on my day off. I went into the family room and listened to my cheap P362 & PL200. Of course, they don't sound as great as the other high-end speakers. But they still sound quite nice.

I wonder how the Infinity cheap speakers would compare to the Axiom speakers.:D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I am referring to Axiom putting the same drivers, tweeters, etc in their cheaper speakers vs the one that cost 2x3 times more. You telling me RBH uses the same drivers and tweeters in their lower tiered spearkers as they do vs their higher end speakers?

This is the RBH 1266/R ($3999/pr MSRP)

This is the RBH T3/R ($16169/pr MSRP)

So for 4X as much - for more of the same drivers. You're the one criticizing the practice, not I, though.

This was the point that was made earlier in the thread. And then on one hand we have Axiom stating there is no sonic difference between their cast baskets and their die cast baskets, but they will go ahead and sell them to customers anyway? You don't find that odd?
No, that's the nature of the industry. People have biases they're unwilling to get over. Salk sound doesn't believe $3000 duelund capacitors make any difference, but if the demand is there, they choose not to refuse customers.

I have had the pleasure of touring the RBH headquarters in Layton Utah and spending time talking to some of their engineers and listening to a wide variety of their spearkers. And yes, as you step up from the lower tier of their speakers to their higher tier of spearkers there were sonic differences between them. You don't need a blindfold to hear the difference.
I would hope higher tiers of speakers had sonic differences.

But that does not mean every dollar put into that higher tier of loudspeaker, is done for sonic advantage reasons.

Wow. Very mature..
The point stands.

A speaker with six drivers that has a giant 6db peak in response centered around 100hz - Very easy to just classify that as white van trash.

But I can see that you're biased towards the brand, so you might not like hearing such a comment. And that's the point. You're willing to complement a $3000 speaker that has a huge bass peak and uses six drivers, yet you're willing to criticize Axiom for their use of multiple drivers and say that the comment is justified. It's one or the other. Either both resemble white van, or both don't.

But hey, you seem like a perfect candidate for these new Axiom spearkers.
Speaking of "very mature" ..

Last edited:
gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Wow this thread really took off.

With this amount of controversy it should give some peopel pause before dropping $4k on a pair of towers.

Gene it would be great to see Audioholics do a formal right up on these, but I don't think Ian is ever going to let anyone outside of Axiom do anything with these other than to tell everyone how great sounding they are.

Actually Gene you might have to invent some new pseudo science to be able to measure these things ;).

A

ack_bak

Audioholic

So for 4X as much - for more of the same drivers. You're the one criticizing the practice, not I, though.

No, that's the nature of the industry. People have biases they're unwilling to get over. Salk sound doesn't believe $3000 duelund capacitors make any difference, but if the demand is there, they choose not to refuse customers.

But that does not mean every dollar put into that higher tier of loudspeaker, is done for sonic advantage reasons.

The point stands.

A speaker with six drivers that has a giant 6db peak in response centered around 100hz - Very easy to just classify that as white van trash.

But I can see that you're biased towards the brand, so you might not like hearing such a comment. And that's the point. You're willing to complement a $3000 speaker that has a huge bass peak and uses six drivers, yet you're willing to criticize Axiom for their use of multiple drivers and say that the comment is justified. It's one or the other. Either both resemble white van, or both don't.

I was not the one that made the white van comment. I don't know why you are fixated on with me saying that when I clearly stated that I would not classify Axiom as white van speakers. As I said, I think some of the bookshelf speakers and lower priced floorstanding speakers provide solid value. I just think their higher tiered speakers are overhyped.

As do you apparently. Google is a powerful tool:

The Emotiva Lounge - Axiom M80 v3 or emos ert 8.3
granteedev

Re: Axiom M80 v3 or emos ert 8.3
« Reply #20 on Jun 1, 2011, 9:42am »
I think Axioms are driven by the hype machine and nothing else. I would definitely go for the emotivas over them. My most likely choice for speakers near the price point would likely be the Aperion Verus Grands or Revel F12s though.
Sure sounds like you think Axiom speakers are overhyped too...

As for RBH, I no longer own them as my mains, but do own a bookshelf speaker and have always been fond of the company and their products.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

The point stands.

You make a valid point but let's also be clear that the 1266-SE/R is a special anniversary product and those drivers are the upgrade option not normally offered. The tweeter is a $200 piece from Scan Speak (9500) and is arguably considered one of the best dome tweeters on the market by audiophiles and designers alike because of its excellent power handling, dispersion characteristics and low resonance frequency. The 10" woofer on the T system is from their high excursion series while the 12" woofer on their 1266-SE/R tower is their standard 12" woofer. I directly compared both products for months and while both are great in their own regard, the T system outshines the 1266's in terms of dynamics, and output capabilities. The T-System produces a larger, though not as focused soundstange and its also a bit more finicky in placement and requires a larger footprint.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Though in all fairness, you might see most of the same cost cutting maneuvres at these price points from reputable companies like KEF.

In fact it's funny. Recently one of the most raved about speakers has been the KEF Q900.
I don't think theres anything wrong with a company cutting corners to make a budget speaker. But Axiom goes out of there way and seems to be really proud of making speakers with the lowest quality parts. And they continue on with there slogans of "you don't need this or that cause it doesn't improve the speaker, so we're not including it to save you money." But yet they charge the same prices points for their stuff as other brands do with better quality components.

I also don't see KEF plastering adverstisments all over the web telling us that their budget speakers using lower quality parts are equal to or exceed speakers costing 2-3times as much.

Once you add the fancier finishes to Axioms the price gets way out of hand compared to the competiton who offer just as nice finishes. For example take HSUs VTF 15H in Rosenut finish $1138 vs Axioms EP350 in same finish $1157 or the EP500 $1644. Thats a huge difference. SVS Ultra Piano gloss is $1,999.00 vs EP600 $2665.00. These are just one of the reasons why there is this "Axiom hate" going on.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I was not the one that made the white van comment. I don't know why you are fixated on with me saying that when I clearly stated that I would not classify Axiom as white van speakers.
This is the quote from you:

I think the reference TLS made to White Van speakers went right over the head of many here. Many white can speakers look impressive to a layman. They typically have lots of drivers/tweeters and look expensive and impressive.

Sound familiar....
That's not clear at all. But whatever. I think we both have the same opinion of axiom anyways. I'm just saying that blanket statements like "lots of drivers and tweeters and look expensive and impressive" are unnecessary.

Sure sounds like you think Axiom speakers are overhyped too...
I did, yes. People need to take them for what they are. Decent speakers at their price point, nothing more, nothing less. There's much better, but there's also much worse. They're not a company selling you total trash nor are they a company selling you the utmost fidelity. They're a company selling you speakers they feel are pretty competitive, and their owners are happy to own them.

I don't think theres anything wrong with a company cutting corners to make a budget speaker. But Axiom goes out of there way and seems to be really proud of making speakers with the lowest quality parts.
Lowest quality parts?

So when axiom let audioholics use their driver in this test:

Loudspeakers & Power Ratings Part III: The Test Results — Reviews and News from Audioholics

And Paul said this: "Kudos to the designers at Axiom for an excellent design job"

he was just confused?

...Maybe they are really proud of making speakers that they feel (whether correctly or wrongly) can compete with anything, without superfluous costs like overbuilt cabinets, overpriced crossover components, fancy silver wire, etc. Much of the competition "feels" that the design of the loudspeaker comes down to filling it with Clarity Caps and Aircraft Grade Aluminum Enclosures, not the fundamentals.

Where I disagree with axiom is the assertion that their speakers get the fundamentals right. It doesn't seem that way to me as the measurements clearly show an axial peak near 2khz and an off-axis flare of the tweeter, among other things. But those have nothing to do with Axiom's design choices as far as cost cutting, which is where they take the most flack.

And they continue on with there slogans of "you don't need this or that cause it doesn't improve the speaker, so we're not including it to save you money."
This is a for-profit business. Axiom is in it for the profit. Go visit a B&M shop and look at the MSRPs of many of the sub par speakers you can hear. Even if Axiom isn't as good as well engineered high value speakers, that does not mean that they're inherently crap.

But yet they charge the same prices points for their stuff as other brands do with better quality components.
So their products aren't the same value that other companies represent. that's their business.

I also don't see KEF plastering adverstisments all over the web telling us that their budget speakers using lower quality parts are equal to or exceed speakers costing 2-3times as much.
That's because KEF is not a web based company. KEF is a brick and mortar company.

Even KEF's high end Reference 201/2 was shown in stereophile to have "lower quality parts". They made engineering decisions that they feel proud of based on their own research. Axiom did the same. I don't get some of Axiom's design decisions. Two tweeters. Dual 6.5" woofers on a "reference" product. Obvious tweeter flare in off-axis response. My issue, is that every design decision they make is scrutinized unlike any other company. It's ridiculous.

Once you add the fancier finishes to Axioms the price gets way out of hand compared to the competiton who offer just as nice finishes. For example take HSUs VTF 15H in Rosenut finish $1138 vs Axioms EP350 in same finish $1157 or the EP500 $1644. Thats a huge difference. SVS Ultra Piano gloss is $1,999.00 vs EP600 $2665.00. These are just one of the reasons why there is this "Axiom hate" going on.
Why compare Axiom subwoofers to industry leaders like HSU or SVS when we both know that's very one-sided? How about comparing their subs to sub offerings from B&W, Paradigm, Def Tech, Polk etc?

As for price of finishes, that's their choice as a company. I don't really understand your personal vendetta against Axiom. You seem to have nothing better to do besides troll them as a company. I've seen your posts for a while now and I've got to wonder about your perspective - You're inclined to equate "not as good" with "awful".

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Why compare Axiom subwoofers to industry leaders like HSU or SVS when we both know that's very one-sided? How about comparing their subs to sub offerings from B&W, Paradigm, Def Tech, Polk etc?
How is it one sided??? ID brand vs ID brand. Axiom isn't sold in B&M stores they are internet direct and have banners on the same pages that SVS and HSU advertise for. And the Axiom fans on the Axiom forum would really disagree with you that their subs are compariable to B&M models from those you listed. I think they would get really offended.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
How is it one sided??? ID brand vs ID brand. Axiom isn't sold in B&M stores they are internet direct and have banners on the same pages that SVS and HSU advertise for.
Who cares where they are sold? Subs are subs and speakers are speakers. Axiom's not in the business of competing with ID. It's in the business of competing with B&M under the pretense that direct sales are inherently better than B&M - and they also appeal to Canadians unwilling to pay import duties. That's their business model and my understanging, has been since before the internet, when they were a catalogue order company. And if you've got a problem with that, then quite frankly you need a life. Posting every opportunity about how awful axiom is, is getting really tired. ID companies like Ascend / Gedlee / Vapor / Salk / Philharmonic / Audiokinesis are higher quality with smaller margins and less marketing budget as a result. They sell you the best quality if you want it but chances are high that the market hasn't even heard of them. But that's not Axiom's target market. Axiom's target market is quite literally "Random non audiophile considering buying the 5.1 Paradigm speaker package he saw at the local hi fi shop, but wants a second opinion at AVSForum, ooh what's this ad, oh these speakers look interesting *BUT UGLY* -- free shipping and 30 day trial? Hmm...wait I can even pick the veneer?!"

As far as actual internet direct competition, it's mostly Aperion Audio and EMPtek. EMP doesn't offer anything in the >1k price range so you're left with Aperion. I'd imagine someone doing their research would end up with Aperion Verus Grands over Axiom M80s, but either way both these companies are not known for their subs. Axiom is not competing with HSU or SVS. Its subs are simply ""part of the package"" which is how speaker companies sell subs.

And the Axiom fans on the Axiom forum would really disagree with you that their subs are compariable to B&M models from those you listed. I think they would get really offended.
...so?

Last edited:
C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
This is a simple disagreement on how the company markets themselves, and how the consumer reads into and researches it.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
And if you've got a problem with that, then quite frankly you need a life. Posting every opportunity about how awful axiom is, is getting really tired.

Says the guy that has to response to every gtpsuper24 and ack_bak post. I'm not the one with 3,703 posts. Add up every post i've ever made on all the audio forums, AVS, Audioholics, HTS, and Axiom and I can't even come close to half the posts you make.

Second I have stacks of Axiom speakers right now. You have no Axiom speaker listed in your sig, who are you to tell me what I can and can't post about Axiom?? Have I broken any forum rules? When in this thread have I posted personal opinions of you like you have of me????

What Axiom models do you own? How long have you owned them? How much have you given Axiom?

Me, M22s, VP150, 4 M2s, EP175, M3. 2007 and 2008. Little over $2400. Not including using the 30day inhome trial of the QS4s and EP350.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I'd like to humbly apologize that there have not been 3704 threads about Axiom Audio for you get your post count high enough.

This is a simple disagreement on how the company markets themselves, and how the consumer reads into and researches it.
Exactly. At some point the customer has to accept that they are the ones making the purchase, complete with a 30 day audition / return period for all $2400 spent on the product. If the customer is not satisfied with the product, then they are able to return the product and purchase somethign else. If the customer is satisfied enough with the product to keep it, then no, they do not have any right to jump at every opportunity to bash the company. The term "free market" exists for a reason. There is no monopoly. If customers buy Bose, then that's not a testament to how Bose operates, but rather how the market and customers operate. We here at audioholics can only advise the prospective customers based on our judgements, but it's the customer at the end of the day making the purchase. Additionally, in this case, even NRC Anechoic Chamber measurements are available to someone willing to do their research.

Last edited:
A

ack_bak

Audioholic
Says the guy that has to response to every gtpsuper24 and ack_bak post. I'm not the one with 3,703 posts. Add up every post i've ever made on all the audio forums, AVS, Audioholics, HTS, and Axiom and I can't even come close to half the posts you make.

Second I have stacks of Axiom speakers right now. You have no Axiom speaker listed in your sig, who are you to tell me what I can and can't post about Axiom?? Have I broken any forum rules? When in this thread have I posted personal opinions of you like you have of me????

What Axiom models do you own? How long have you owned them? How much have you given Axiom?

Me, M22s, VP150, 4 M2s, EP175, M3. 2007 and 2008. Little over $2400. Not including using the 30day inhome trial of the QS4s and EP350.
Honestly, I would not sweat it. You own the product, it is not a dictatorship here at Audioholics or AVS.

Vent away. If people don't like it, they can just skip the thread or use the ignore feature.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
No, but my point is that both companies have engineering that cuts corners but focuses on their design goals.

If you're intertested here are the inferior horizontal polars of the M80 - 0 / 15 / 30 / 45 / 60 / 75
Its nice to see that there is still some rational thinking going on around here. Engineering is always about design trade offs. Making the right selections makes the difference between profitable companies and has beens.

The M80s measure very well. Oh, nice un-smoothed graphs you got there. Funny how other people couldn't find these...

I recently had the pleasure of doing a blind listening test between two speakers that turned out to be the M3 and one of the B&W D series bookshelves. It was an interesting experience.

In the end, I liked the sound of the B&W better it really stood out with female vocals. BUT, it was amazing how well the M3 held up. In fact, the M3 had a much superior sound stage.

Some things, like the 100 Hz bass hump are surprisingly hard to pick out. It took a lot of back and forth over 5 different tracks for me to quantify the sonic difference this made. It did not show up on every track and when it did, it was rather subtle. If you had to go between two rooms to listen to these two speakers, you would never be able to quantify the difference.

Is the M3 as good as the B&W? No. On really good tracks with female vocals, there was something electrifying about the quality of the sound of the B&W that was not there with the M3. If I had 5 times the budget, I would probably own different speakers. I don't, and from the comparisons I did with other speakers in that price range, Axiom performs very well.

Some other random observations:

The center channel with the tweeter and mid in a vertical alignment is the newcomer. When I picked up my system, there was not an affordable center channel with this design. The in line deign of the VP150 exists for a reason. Many people are not willing to accommodate a tall center channel into their existing decor. I did not have that issue and, without a vertical T/M offering, solved the problem by using dual M2s (above and below the screen) as centers.

I'm fascinated by speaker design and have spent a lot of time on multiple forums reading stuff the designers post. Even among successful designers there is not agreement on the value of certain designs and component selections. Claims that XYZ company has no clue because they didn't use component xxx are simply foolish.

Since I live so close to Axiom, I'll make the trip up to Dwight to give these new speakers a listen. Based on that, and that alone, I'll decide how good they are... not that I have 4 grand lying around for speakers...

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
No, but my point is that both companies have engineering that cuts corners but focuses on their design goals.
There's a difference between a cheap cabinet and two dome tweeters 4" apart...

So it's really no comparision. Not even close that the KEF is a better loudspeaker in the two most meaningful parameters (frequency response and wide angle off-axis response). But in terms of build quality they :are: mostly in the same tier, except for the drivers.
Yeah, except for the drivers and the sonic performance, they're in the same tier perhaps. But given that "tiers" of speakers should be first defined by their performance, it's quite clear that there's no serious equivalence here.

Actually, even KEF's Reference 201/2 was shown to use cheapo crossover components.
Given the obviously superior performance, who cares if someone needs to recap them in a quarter-century when the 'lytics dry out?

(Besides, "better" parts - "better" for what, of course, given the obviously superior measured and sonic performance - wouldn't fit in that cabinet.

I didn't condemn it. I said it was a design decision they made to hit a price point, not unlike Axiom which is criticized for this exact thing.
Hitting a price point and offering class-leading measurements and sonic performance with some build quality compromises is one thing.

Hitting a price point and not doing so is entirely different.

Wow, what a train wreck.

I get that Gene and the RDL or whatever people have some sort of connection, but can anyone who actually cares about high-fidelity music reproduction possibly take a speaker with three tweeters in a 12" line surrounded by a crescent of midranges seriously?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hitting a price point and offering class-leading measurements and sonic performance with some build quality compromises is one thing.

Hitting a price point and not doing so is entirely different.
This is something nobody knows since the Axiom speaker in question has not be professionally reviewed or measured. It's especially true in your case since you're someone that believes measuring 1/3rd octave is plenty of resolution. It's probably better to reserve further speculation till more objective info is available.

Wow, what a train wreck.
The only train wreck is a self proclaimed expert like you judging a product like this without understanding the purpose of the multiple drivers and their arrangements.

I get that Gene and the RDL or whatever people have some sort of connection, but can anyone who actually cares about high-fidelity music reproduction possibly take a speaker with three tweeters in a 12" line surrounded by a crescent of midranges seriously?
Someone who actually has a basic understanding in acoustics and has also heard and seen how these speakers measured could certainly take them seriously. Someone who hasn't bothered to read the pro reviews, or listening to these speakers, or even got the company name correct cannot.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I've learned (hopefully :D) that unless I have listened to the speakers, I will try to refrain from judging them.

I have auditioned the RBH T3/P, and I thought they sounded pretty good.

Although speakers like Wilson Audio, Zu Audio, etc, have apparently bad speaker measurements, I can't judge them since I've never heard them.

I've never heard Axiom either, so I can't judge their speakers.

But I just can't get over Axiom recommending the use of two center speakers, which I have done with poor results probably due to comb filtering.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis