Awkward setup? Help me adjust my speakers/furniture.

M

MamaKrayma

Audiophyte
As you can see by the pictures below I am currently running a 3.1 system (I will expand to 5.1 soon) in my bedroom. The center channel at first fit very well into the shelf that it's in, but I'm worried that I'm hurting the acoustics. Is the bookshelf blocking out sound and draining it out?

Also, I don't like how when I lie on my bed to listen I am getting all my sound from the left. Any ideas on how to rearrange my furniture for the optimal 3.1 (and potentially 5.1) surround setup?

WP_20130721_002.jpg
WP_20130721_005.jpg
WP_20130721_006.jpg
WP_20130721_008.jpg
WP_20130721_011.jpg

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
simple answer - you can't.
For music - I would recommend placing your FS52 tower to left/right of builtin cabinet doors and call it a day
and even a bigger question - why the need for anything more than 2 speaker to listen to music? I honestly don't see where you could place TV in this bedroom, other than $10k+ under-the-bed-tv lift systems like this one:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MamaKrayma

Audiophyte
Good Questions. Here are the Answers.

simple answer - you can't.
For music - I would recommend placing your FS52 tower to left/right of builtin cabinet doors and call it a day
and even a bigger question - why the need for anything more than 2 speaker to listen to music? I honestly don't see where you could place TV in this bedroom, other than $10k+ under-the-bed-tv lift systems like this one:

I have 5.1 DVD-Audio discs and am also planning to use this in the future after I move into an apartment.

I've been contemplating moving my bed to stick out of the back wall to face the windows and have the towers on either side of the opposite wall with the center on a makeshift 24" stand in front of the right window. The surrounds will go on either sides of my bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have 5.1 DVD-Audio discs and am also planning to use this in the future after I move into an apartment.

I've been contemplating moving my bed to stick out of the back wall to face the windows and have the towers on either side of the opposite wall with the center on a makeshift 24" stand in front of the right window. The surrounds will go on either sides of my bed.
Not 100% sure which side you want to orient bed toward too, but if you place bed's headboard right next to the window and face it the wall where your current system is.
Place surrounds on the sides - I have these :
Amazon.com : SANUS SYSTEMS BF-24B Wood Speaker Stands : Electronics
Keep in mind the surrounds should be a foot above your ears level

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Not 100% sure which side you want to orient bed toward too, but if you place bed's headboard right next to the window and face it the wall where your current system is.
Place surrounds on the sides - I have these :
Amazon.com : SANUS SYSTEMS BF-24B Wood Speaker Stands : Electronics
Keep in mind the surrounds should be a foot above your ears level

Either that, or put the head of the bed where the stereo is currently, and put the stereo on the wall with the window, likely with the left speaker in front of the window. I think I would rather have it that way, so I could look out the window if I wanted, but it is hard to tell from the pictures exactly how much space there is, and how well everything would fit.

Generally speaking, it is a good idea to start with orienting the listening position and the right and left speakers to be the points of an approximately equilateral triangle, and go from there with the extra speakers. Basically, if one of the walls cannot have any of that in front of it, then the two adjacent walls will be the ones to use. Naturally, this is a rough and ready bit of advice, but it generally works pretty well (assuming that people understand what I mean).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis