Awkward Room Setup - 5.1 with 4 rear or 7.1? (Pic of proposed setups included)

D

donz0r

Audiophyte
Hi,
I'm setting up a relatively low cost theater system in a room with an awkward setup.

I'm getting an Onkyo HT-SR800 7.1 Channel receiver w/ speakers.
I need to get a Blu-ray Player with analog outputs to get dts-hd and true-hd formats, but the ones available right now don't have 7.1 outputs. I was thinking about just getting one with 5.1 outputs and running the 2 extra speakers as extra rear speakers given the size/awkward layout of the room.

How would this affect the sound if i have a 5.1 system with 2 Right Rear speakers and 2 left Rear Speakers?
I know I won't be able to get great sound at each sitting area, but what would be best? I'm more interested in getting good sound from the Chairs, not the couch.

This pic shows the proposed 5.1 setups (with 4 rear speakers) with red circles, and a 7.1 setup with Blue circles. The green line is a 73'' mitsubishi dlp. Black boxes are Chairs/couch.

Is going 5.1 w/ 4 rears OK? Or should I wait for a blu-ray player with 7.1 analog outs?

T

timone

Junior Audioholic
Hi donz0r,

If you connect your blu-ray to your receiver via HDMI cable and bitstream your audio, you should have 7.1 output even if your blu ray player does not have analog output. Assuming of course that your disc is DTS HD MA encoded.

I have a samsung bd-up5000 duo player connected to my yamaha RXV3800 and I get the 7.1 output without using the analog connections of the samsung.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis