Awkward room, Layout ideas???

O

osuchamp02

Audiophyte
So I bought some new speakers as my current set up ( JBL Cinema 500) just can’t fill my room when it comes to music. I want to be able to get lost in the highs and feel all the bass. I’m pushing the cinema 500 with an Onkyo 616 receiver. The new speakers I have already purchased are two JBL Studio 180 and one Studio 120. So I’m looking to move my speakers around and upgrade. I’m rolling around some different layout options in my head and wanted to get some feedback on what you guys think would sound the best, so I’m in need a bit of advice. The speakers highlighted in blue would be the new ones. The speakers highlighted in green are my current front left and right and I would move them to front highs in that layout. I know the 180 wont sound the best in the corner but as you can see from the jpeg below I don’t have much choice if I want them in front. Below you can find a picture of my preferred layout. If you have or download Google sketchup (this program is so much fun) I can email a file for full detail and measurements. I have read so much on this forum and gotten so much good information on the optical way to set up a 5.1 or 7.1 system but my room layout is not conducive for the optical set up. The room is 16x16x12 on the right with a vaulted ceiling that raises to 24. There is a closed wall behind the couch and the far left wall is open and leads into the dinning room. That’s what leads me here seeking advice form the pros. Check out my room layout and let me know how you would place these additions and why. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Official Store for JBL Speakers, Headphones, Speaker Docks, Car Audio 500
Studio 180 | 360-watt, three-way floorstanding loudspeaker with PolyPlas woofer and midrange drivers and CMMD Lite tweeter | JBL US

Studio 120C | 240-watt, two-and-one-half-way, center-channel loudspeaker with dual PolyPlas woofer drivers and CMMD Lite tweeter | JBL US

Onkyo USA | TX-NR616

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
What's on the left wall? If possible, the only change I would make is to not use the green speakers as heights. I would rather have them as side surrounds mounted on the walls angled down and slightly back. Then move the red speakers on to the back wall and angled down. With the red speakers where you have them in the picture, they will probably be reflecting hard off the back wall behind the couch, which could make them sound a little odd, unless you already have them there and you don't hear anything weird.

One other thing, those towers are rear ported so you don't want them right up against the wall otherwise the lower frequencies may start to get boomy/muddy.

O

osuchamp02

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice fuze. The left wall is open and leads into the dining room so no way to make the green sides. The green speakers can stay or be moved to above the tv. Do you think they can be used as heights where they are? I nervous of loosing some width of the sound stage moving them above the tv and blues having to be so close to the center. The Blues will be at least a foot away from the wall on the rear. Not ideal but lol nothing in this setup is going to ideal adding these larger speakers. The current system is fine for movies and tv its playing music that the sound lacks some power.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well then that definitely won't work if there's not wall there at all :D

If you leave them where they are they would work better as "wides" rather than heights. Heights would really need to be above the main speakers.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Is the problem with your music only, even after adding the towers?

I have a hard time getting music quality and quantity out of an avr setup, but them towers look mildly efficient, Although they can handle 300w each!!! Maybe you just need more power :D to open them babies up, your room is a good size, trying a separate amplifier for your front left and right would probably help a lot, but You will most likely spend some money to get it since your avr doesn't have preouts...

O

osuchamp02

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice guys. I have not received the speakers yet. They should be arriving this week. I’m just trying to plan everything for the install next weekend. After I ordered them I have gotten a bit worried about the layout because it’s not optimal. You guys have reassured me that what i was thinking was on the right track. it might not sound optimal but it’s not going to be horrible and for that thanks a million.

B

Bass Head

Audiophyte
If your receiver does not have preouts, you can use car audio high level input adapters to rca, then run that signal to your seperate amp, this would be a fix to purchasing another receiver with preouts that can be costly. Most of these are rated at about 50-75 watts, but some manufactures offer higher ratings. Before I bought my NAD receiver with preouts, I ran these off my Yamaha receiver, the receiver was rated somewhere about 300 watts, but I realized that was on a good day, ordered ones rated at 150 watts, and they worked rather well, was just a cheaper option I was throwing out there for you.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis