awesome computer speakers . . . $500

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I need a pair of computer speakers (powered or active monitors). Two that I am seriously considering are the audio engine a-2 which get their share of love and hate on this site and the emotiva airmotiv 4. The audioengines run $200; the airmotiv 4 run $350 but can be picked up on a sale for $320. I'm leaning towards the airmotiv 4 mainly on the strength of this one (!) review: Emotiva's astonishing desktop speaker | The Audiophiliac - CNET News. They come with a 30 day money back guarantee in case I end up disagreeing with the reviewer about these speakers, :D

What other powered speakers should I be thinking about? The airmotivs will need some kind of front end to control the volume and I'd probably use the audioengine usb dac/headphone amp that runs $170 giving me a total budget of $500. Any insanely great computer speakers that I need to be thinking about?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Emotiva mini X with a pair of ascend 200se's Sound very good, I used the 170's with the minix but tried the 200s first and they were very nice {I already owned the 170's and they were too big to put on my ceiling mounts so I used the 170's at the pc, but the 200's sounded awesome...}

Cost would be about $500 but well worth it in my opinion.. Then you can add a nice sub..:) My pc system sounds like it cost thousands...

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the suggestions. Passive speakers would give me a lot more choices but this is for an office so I really want to stick with active or powered monitors. Sometimes less is more, :D

M

mikel80

Audiophyte
Well i'm interested in a set of these speakers. I will try to find a local store so i can give them a test. I need good speakers because i listen very much to music and play movies on my pc.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I've been looking at three other high end computer speaker systems. The focal xs has satellites, a sub, and a sac and runs $599. NHT sells the super power monitors that run $199 each; you need to add a volume control. Bowers and Wilkins MM-1 runs $500 but I have some misgivings about this given the less than stellar reviews and price.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the review; I'm really skeptical that the B&W MM1s are worth $500 as well. I'm not quite ready to write off the audioengine A-2s since they have a 30 day money back guarantee. You're right though that playing well at low volume is critical for near field computer speakers.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Paradigm shift would be another, but I think it's a little over budget.

The NHT was on sale in Sept. for $149 ea but that's over. I believe they are essentially a super zero with an attached amp.

I guess near field monitors could be considered too if you can make the connections. I'm not familiar with any products in this price range but maybe Adam Audio or JBL have something worth auditioning. Or powered Behringers?

pcefrog

pcefrog

Junior Audioholic
compt.spkrs

IMO: u should go up a notch with the AUDIOENGINE 5+ . i have them.
they are way better than the 2's. self powered, loud..nice bass,probably dont need a sub . two of my friends heard them and went out and bought them.
They sound great. i had my share of plastic comt.spkrs. and was always looking for book shelf...these are the best of both worlds.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis