AV123 x-sub anything bad about this, anything good?

E

EasyCompany506

Audioholic Intern
I placed a low ball offer on the BIC h-100 on ebay. I doubt they will sell it $210 shipped, but worth a try.
So to get the BIC h-100 I guess I'm looking at $279 to $300 shipped. not in my price range.
The AV123 x-sub is $242 shipped.
I sure like the sound of $200 shipped or $220 shipped. It just has a better ring to it.
Dayton Sub 120 is $177 shipped on Parts Express (cheaper shipping then amazon)
So unless the ebay dude sells the Bic h100 for $210 shipped (laugh with me) then based on my $200-$250 buget I am down to the x-sub vs the dayton. I couldn't find any straight up post on just the x-sub with pros and cons.

Please post comments on the x-sub and sub-120 good or bad and which to get since I'm poor and just want decent sound.

Thanks for all the help, sorry to keep posting noob questions.

E

EasyCompany506

Audioholic Intern
av123 x-sub

I'm suprised nobody as any comments on these subs. Maybe I need to find a new message board.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Simmer down there, dude. :D The forum is a bit slow right now, remember it's the middle of a work day. In fact there has been lots of discussions on the AV123 x-sub in this forum, as it is a well championed brand here. Do a search for 'AV123 x-sub' and you will find them.

The reviews are great for a sub in this price range - of course there are better subs to be had, but they cost a bit more. Sounds like you're rather limited in your budget, but for the price the x-sub wouldn't be a bad purchase in the least. ;)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I own an AV123 X-sub. How are you going to use it. Room size / music vs movies ...

I like my X-sub it kick butt for what it is but it is a smallish sub so it has limitations. Just depends on how & where your going it use it.

SBF1

E

EasyCompany506

Audioholic Intern
av123 x-sub

I just had to get people fired up. Kidding

I have a smaller room, nothing special. I don't sit far from the sub, so room size and placement are not a factor to me. I just want good tight sound that doesn't sound like the trunk of some punk kids civic flapping around from his massive subs and you shake your head cause it sounds like crap. I know it's only $200, but I'm sure it will sound good to me.

100% home theater use

use it only 20-30% of the time I watch dvd and blu-ray movies or play PS3. (no point of having a sub on watching the lake house. don't laugh it's a good movie)

So the AV123 is a sound investment and I won't have an regrets? Better then the Dayton?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai

I have a smaller room, nothing special. I don't sit far from the sub, so room size and placement are not a factor to me. I just want good tight sound that doesn't sound like the trunk of some punk kids civic flapping around from his massive subs and you shake your head cause it sounds like crap. I know it's only $200, but I'm sure it will sound good to me.

100% home theater use

use it only 20-30% of the time I watch dvd and blu-ray movies or play PS3. (no point of having a sub on watching the lake house. don't laugh it's a good movie)

So the AV123 is a sound investment and I won't have an regrets? Better then the Dayton?
You didn't answer STRONGBADF1's question(s)...most notably room size. And it sounds like he certainly can, and is willing to help you.

And it matters not how close you sit to the sub. Sub 101 is you do not want the sub to be localizable (enter the space requirement). Which means many things, but if you first start off with a good sub, it then has to be sized for the space (not the proximity to your ear), and then be calibrated and positioned correctly. Beyond that there are room corrections such as bass traps etc., but that is premature right now. So again, room size, dimensions? Thanks.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

100% home theater use

The X-sub doesn't go very low for home theater but it is a nice clean sub for the money. It sounds very good with music IMO. For movies in my room (13.5' x 20.5' x 8') it sounds nice and will mildly rumble the room but it will not shake the room. My room is a little big for it for loud action movie watching. It does better than I was expecting though.

I have had no problems with mine so far. (8-10 months) Some have had problems with the auto on at low volumes but that is a combination of the receiver and the subs amp. My X-sub has no problem detecting my Yamaha receiver. This problem may have been corrected so check with AV123.

SBF1

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Go SVS, go SVS!
As much as I would love to suggest that, he appears to have clearly stated his budget, which puts him under the mark for such greatness. ;)

That is a hint to the OP: It might behoove you to employ some patience, save a little over time and get something that will rock your socks off instead of toying around with <$200 subs. You'll only end up wanting more in the end if you do, trust me, but by then you've already wasted a couple hundred bucks that could have gone towards a bigger, better sub. :D

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Wait till you can afford a biiger sub.

As much as I would love to suggest that, he appears to have clearly stated his budget, which puts him under the mark for such greatness. ;)

That is a hint to the OP: It might behoove you to employ some patience, save a little over time and get something that will rock your socks off instead of toying around with <$200 subs. You'll only end up wanting more in the end if you do, trust me, but by then you've already wasted a couple hundred bucks that could have gone towards a bigger, better sub. :D
I agree 100% with Halon. I'd rather save my mad money up, and do it right. Start by looking at SVS and Hsu Research.

E

EasyCompany506

Audioholic Intern
I wish I could save up for a bigger sub

I have to save money for things like a 2nd kid, new brakes, blah blah and all the other crap that gets in the way of my home theater building.

To clarify my follow up post on room size. I meant to say that my room size is 10x20 living room. The Corners are filled with furniture and a fire place that is angled. I don't think the bass will settle in the corners that much. I normally sit right in the middle of the room when listening to movies (we don't watch them, we listen to them). I'm sure my Sony ES receiver will be able to handle the sub and the auto on feature. I'd rather have an on/off/auto switch though.
The most I can spend on a sub would be the Bic h-100 and that's if I can get a deal on it from ebay. I'm not as lucky as most that can save and drop some bling on a $500 to $1000 sub. Even if I did save up the finance committee would suck the funds away from me for other things the house needs. Seriously honey, we don't need new windows, they are supposed to leak when it rains.

So I’m relying on the fine group of audiophiles on forum-land to help me find the best budget sub for the money that I have. To bad that is not a better selection of dealers on the net that sell these subs and you can’t shop around for a good price.

Thanks for all the help on my trivial questions.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I have to save money for things like a 2nd kid, new brakes, blah blah and all the other crap that gets in the way of my home theater building.

To clarify my follow up post on room size. I meant to say that my room size is 10x20 living room. The Corners are filled with furniture and a fire place that is angled. I don't think the bass will settle in the corners that much. I normally sit right in the middle of the room when listening to movies (we don't watch them, we listen to them). I'm sure my Sony ES receiver will be able to handle the sub and the auto on feature. I'd rather have an on/off/auto switch though.
The most I can spend on a sub would be the Bic h-100 and that's if I can get a deal on it from ebay. I'm not as lucky as most that can save and drop some bling on a $500 to $1000 sub. Even if I did save up the finance committee would suck the funds away from me for other things the house needs. Seriously honey, we don't need new windows, they are supposed to leak when it rains.

So I’m relying on the fine group of audiophiles on forum-land to help me find the best budget sub for the money that I have. To bad that is not a better selection of dealers on the net that sell these subs and you can’t shop around for a good price.

Thanks for all the help on my trivial questions.
Well, for starters I'm not an audiophile, because I don't even know what that means. :eek: It doesn't take a classification to appreciate great sound though, from a novice to a true audio junkie.

I understand your dilemna, and share your pain on the 'needing money for the house, kids, other things'. The best I can suggest is do what I did, which was sit down with my wife and said, "Look, I want to put away a few bucks here and there to feed my HT habit, like maybe 'x' amount of dollars per paycheck, etc.'. We talked about it, and made sure our other priorities would be covered no matter what, and while it does take some time, it's not impossible. The good rule of life is that anything can be negotiated with fair compromise.

For a room that size, the x-sub may sound pretty good, but it won't provide any room-shaking effects at all. Throw in other unknown factors like vaulted ceilings (which you didn't specifiy) or an end that opens up into another room, etc., and it's much more difficult for that small sub to deliver powerful sound.

If you were able to save up the dough, get an SVS or Hsu model, I guarantee you that you will wonder what the hell you were ever thinking trying to buy a sub for any less. It will wow you, trust me. :D

And your questions are anything but trivial. ;)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
And your questions are anything but trivial. ;)
Ohhhh, don't be so quick to not judge Halon. I believe the jig is up, and I'm calling you out.

Your room size has changed from 12' x 20' to 10' x 20'...that's one hell of a room stretcher...or shrinker ya got there Easy.

You've quibbled over $20-$30 on price differences in shipping and net cost...get a paper route.

You've got 17 posts here...all of which are in the subs section.

In the last three weeks you've started nine, yes NINE separate threads on different subs.

You've never thanked anyone for their advice, expertise, help or wisdom.

You've never finished a thread. You let it go on, and on, and on like the Ray-o-Vac bunny, until it simply dies.

If you're here for real, please forgive by directness. But you're called out so this thread doesn't end in the trash bin like the other eight threads you've started on subs. The best advice you received is to save for a little better...or just splurge the two bills and get this one. You'll probably regret it as others have already written. I think you got some splainin to do Lucy. :mad:

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Ohhhh, don't be so quick to not judge Halon. I believe the jig is up, and I'm calling you out.

Your room size has changed from 12' x 20' to 10' x 20'...that's one hell of a room stretcher...or shrinker ya got there Easy.

You've quibbled over $20-$30 on price differences in shipping and net cost...get a paper route.

You've got 17 posts here...all of which are in the subs section.

In the last three weeks you've started nine, yes NINE separate threads on different subs.

You've never thanked anyone for their advice, expertise, help or wisdom.

You've never finished a thread. You let it go on, and on, and on like the Ray-o-Vac bunny, until it simply dies.

If you're here for real, please forgive by directness. But you're called out so this thread doesn't end in the trash bin like the other eight threads you've started on subs. The best advice you received is to save for a little better...or just splurge the two bills and get this one. You'll probably regret it as others have already written. I think you got some splainin to do Lucy. :mad:
I didn't catch his other 17 posts or multiple threads on the same topic, but he may just be a noob, unfamiliar with proper protocol - I'd give the guy a break. ;)

Egad - I just realized John... is this the new Samurai code you live by now?? :D:D

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I didn't catch his other 17 posts or multiple threads on the same topic, but he may just be a noob, unfamiliar with proper protocol - I'd give the guy a break. ;)

Egad - I just realized John... is this the new Samurai code you live by now?? :D:D
I'm a man of infinite patience Halon, but every man's got his limits...even the Samurai. :D I'm simply elucidating the facts Halon...this is me giving a break. If I'm incorrect...forgive me Easy. The history precedes him. They're all on the same topic, asking about pennies, not dollars, on these low end subs. I have nothing against a limited budget mind you, but coupled with the fact that he's never thanked anyone, repeatedly ignores advice given, repeats posts (different subs, same questions), and that his room size has changed...I don't know, color my a skeptic. If I'm wrong, I'll delete my one post (keep my others on his threads that are on point) and no harm, no foul. I just thought I'd highlight some history for others to decide. I'm still on the fence though. I just hate to see fellow 'holics wasting their time on a pointless thread.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
psssttt...Johnd, It's the Energizer bunny... but I wont tell anyone.:p

Take that Mazer!!!:D
You're starting to sound like me STRONGBADF1. That's scary! Thanks for the heads up though (I'm not a big commercial guy...other than the Superbowl type).

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
You're starting to sound like me STRONGBADF1. That's scary! Thanks for the heads up though (I'm not a big commercial guy...other than the Superbowl type).

When in Rome.:)

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I'm a man of infinite patience Halon, but every man's got his limits...even the Samurai. :D I'm simply elucidating the facts Halon...this is me giving a break. If I'm incorrect...forgive me Easy. The history precedes him. They're all on the same topic, asking about pennies, not dollars, on these low end subs. I have nothing against a limited budget mind you, but coupled with the fact that he's never thanked anyone, repeatedly ignores advice given, repeats posts (different subs, same questions), and that his room size has changed...I don't know, color my a skeptic. If I'm wrong, I'll delete my one post (keep my others on his threads that are on point) and no harm, no foul. I just thought I'd highlight some history for others to decide. I'm still on the fence though. I just hate to see fellow 'holics wasting their time on a pointless thread.
Infinite patience?? Present yourself, sir! :D:D Seriously though - it sounds to me like he really is looking for help and advice, but he just doesn't quite know the correct forum etiquette, it's not necessarily a reason to bash the guy. So what if he's talking pennies - not everyone is rich and can afford high-end gear, that doesn't make them any less of a potential fellow 'holic does it? Everyone of us here had to start somewhere, remember... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis