AV123 x-statik Tower Loudspeaker

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The new x-statik open baffle tower starting at $699/pr was designed from the ground up by AV123's Mark Schifter and renowned speaker designer Danny Richie. The x-statik will launch with a companion open baffle center speaker called x-voce as well as On-Wall surrounds and an omni-directional floor standing speaker. The x-statik features a 2" front baffle and a 1” braced, high quality MDF cabinet designed to minimize enclosure resonances. They are then wrapped in a real wood veneer or beautifully finished in a silky-smooth satin black.

Discuss "AV123 x-statik Tower Loudspeaker" here. Read the article.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Why does a speaker with that many drivers and decent size cabinet only have the following frequency response:

Frequency Response: 65 Hz to 20 KHz (± 3 dB)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
These are an evolution of Danny's previous open baffle speakers, which I have heard are some amazing speakers indeed. My GRs are Danny's design as well :)

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
I will be interested in hearing these...

H

Highbar

Senior Audioholic
Number of drivers has nothing to do with the frequency response. Have to agree with Mike that it's more then likely the fact that it's a sealed arrangement that keeps it from going super low. 65Hz is plenty low when you add a sub to it, and wont affect a good amount of music as it is.

T

A

autoboy

Audioholic
I'm really interested in how these come out. I've been searching for a beautiful replacement for my Axiom setup and these definately fit the bill. The problem I have is that the center seems too big for my setup. I put the center on the TV stand in front of the TV and if I push the TV too far back it falls off the back of the stand. I imagine the open baffle will sound strange with a TV behind it and the shelf below it. Still, I'm eagerly awaiting these...

Anyone have a real picture?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
is AH going to review these? i'd like a technical explanation on how the back waves don't mess with the front waves with a baffle that small.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
They look interesting and I'm curious to see what they sound like. I don't care that they are sealed, I would expect them to be able to play lower than 65Hz. When listening to two channel music, I want my towers to be as near full range as possible.

I'm guessing that the sweet spot is much larger for the open baffle design as opposed to a conventianal design but I wonder if its a trade-off for imaging details.

F

Fancypants

Audioholic Intern
Anyone have a real picture?
That is a real picture, I have been following this speaker's development for several months now, and that is a picture that was released in the past couple of days. More pictures can be found: http://av123.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=176&category_id=21&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37

I was going to link the original digital render, so you could compare, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

There are also a couple more pictures and links to AV123 threads regarding the speaker here: http://av123.wetpaint.com/page/x-statik

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
Nice to see some audioholics coverage on these, I hope there is a full review forthcoming. I'm planning to use x-static and x-voce in my home theater in a few months, most likely with MFW-15s handling the bass duties.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They look fantastic, and I'm sure they will sound great as long as you match them with a great subwoofer (or two:D).

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
they look fantastic! cannot wait for a review. but if I get some, I will have to change my avatar :)

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
Only the top is open. The 2 bottom woofers are in a sealed enclosure.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
The bass drivers are sealed, Take another quick peak at the pic. :)

No comments on the imaging? Will it be more diffuse?
So the crossover differentiates between the top and bottom drivers?

I just read the description. I see that it is a three-way.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
is AH going to review these? i'd like a technical explanation on how the back waves don't mess with the front waves with a baffle that small.
placment is absolutley critical as the frequencies(lower) can be nulled or enhanced . Acheiving tonal balance takes time, and with treatments to help with standing waves, the can sound amazing. The out of step arrival is a setup, room,and surface issue.

S

Sean Parque

Junior Audioholic
I posted 30 real (;)) photos on the site. If you guys have any questions and don't mind me answering here, fire away.

Thanks,

Sean
AV123 Project Manager

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis