AV upgrade, keep the Emotiva?

K

kambbul

Audiophyte
I have an Emotiva XPA5 Gen 3 in my system. I will be upgrading my AV processor to a Marantz Cinema 40. Should I keep the Emotiva in the setup. Will it’s presence be positive, neutral or possibly negative in terms of overall sound quality?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I have an Emotiva XPA5 Gen 3 in my system. I will be upgrading my AV processor to a Marantz Cinema 40. Should I keep the Emotiva in the setup. Will it’s presence be positive, neutral or possibly negative in terms of overall sound quality?
It's impossible to give you an answer to your questioning. You did not specify what speakers are going to be driven by the Marantz Cinema 40. Moreover, you need to state how loud you like to listen to your AV system, and at what distance you will be sitting away from the speakers.

Bear in mind that the Emotiva amps are less than 4 dB more powerful than those of the Cinema 40.

Here is a good tool to calculate your SPL:

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why do you have the amp currently? What is the Marantz replacing? If the amp is paid for I'd keep it, whether you need to use it or not, hard to know. It's not particularly about sound quality, both the Marantz' onboard amps and Emotiva are generally fine in that respect, altho the Emotiva amp is capable of higher power and lower impedance so depends on your needs....

K

kambbul

Audiophyte
Thanks for the responses.
Speakers: KEF R900 front, R500 rear, R600c center. I live in a fairly soundproof hi-rise condo (concrete and steel construction) and I usually listen at low to moderate volumes. Very rarely do I approach higher volumes.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Then you wouldn't hear a difference with the Emotiva amp. Both products will deliver clean and neutral sound when operated within their designed limits.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would get rid of any Emo and just use the Marantz by itself.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
At low to moderate levels seriously doubt the external amp adds anything. Then again, you already own it and it won't hurt otoh.

Set it up each way and see if you find anything significant as a result....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis