AV Receiver VSX-922-K XBOX360 Display Issue, help required.

M

mystrey2010

Audiophyte
Hi All,
I did a search and found nothing on this, so apologies if already listed or not in the right location...

I'm only able to get my XBOX360 (Arcade Version with HDMI) to display on my newly purchased Pioneer VSX-922-K when I set the resoloution on the AV Receiver to 1080/24P, any other setting like 'AUTO' just briefly displays the output then the TV reports a no video signal.

I am connecting using high-speed HDMI cables and tried various settings on the AV Reciever and XBOX.

Does anyone have any ideas as I'm very surprised no one else seems to have mentioned this ealier?

Living in Hope,
Matty

jplinville

jplinville

Audioholic Intern
I had the same issue with my 822-K, and found that it was the HDMI cable. I had to replace it with a better one before it would work right. Since I had other cables on hand, it wasn't difficult to figure it out.

Cheap HDMI cables have caused me issues in the past when I hooked up my SAT box.

Swap the cables around and see if it's a bad cable.

M

mystrey2010

Audiophyte
Hi Jplinville
I just bought a new HDMI cable today to see if it made any difference, the input/output cables currently connected were both around £30 - not sure if that's classed as cheap tho :)

I will try swapping what cables I have again, to see if it helps.

For info, I also have a PS3 and that connected 1st time with no issues at all.

Many Thanks,
Matt

jplinville

jplinville

Audioholic Intern
It happens...the cable that didn't work with my XBOX worked well with my Blu-ray. I'm not sure if it has to do with the signal strength from the component or better wiring in different cables.

Maybe someone else can shed better light on that topic.

J

jotham

Audioholic
Sometimes these problems are HDMI handshaking issues. You basically have the XBox talking to the receiver and then the receiver passes along the conversation to the TV. The Xbox is basically trying to figure out if the TV can handle 1080P correctly and the TV is trying to figure out what resolution the XBox is actually sending.

To debug this, I would take the AV receiver out of the equation and connect the Xbox directly to the TV and see if that works correctly. There is likely a setting in the TV that will decide what resolution different components attach at (via HDMI). Once the Xbox/TV setup is working the way you expect, then you can try and toss the AV receiver in between.

It sounds like 1080P/24 worked on your receiver so I'm not sure why that isn't what you are looking for? With that setting, the AV receiver is basically telling the XBox , yes you can send 1080P and it is telling the TV, the resolution I will be sending is 1080P. You are basically hardcoding the expected setting.

Where this could theoretically be an issue would be other components hooked to the AV receiver but a lot of receivers will handle the necessary upconversion to 1080P as needed. For example, a DVD player hooked to your receiver cannot output 1080P but the receiver would know this and upconvert to 1080P.

good luck!

M

mystrey2010

Audiophyte
Thanks Jotham,
The XBOX360 has been directly connected to the TV for quite some time as I originally had an old vsx model that only handled the optical audio and works perfectly at 1080p or any other resolution I set on the XBOX. The issue is currently I can only hard set the upscaling to 1080/24p to get the XBOX to display at all and it seems to affect the display especially on 1st person shooters (Black Ops 2).

The PS3 connection doesn't require hard setting the resolution and quite happy works with whatever is set on the PS3, this is what I was expecting with the XBOX after purchasing the receiver for the sole purpose of handing both games consoles.

In addition I have tried changing ports on the reciever and get the same issue (i.e plugging the xbox in the ps3 working port).

I'll keep trying, so any other suggestions would be very welcome.

Matt

J

jotham

Audioholic
Thanks Jotham,
The XBOX360 has been directly connected to the TV for quite some time as I originally had an old vsx model that only handled the optical audio and works perfectly at 1080p or any other resolution I set on the XBOX. The issue is currently I can only hard set the upscaling to 1080/24p to get the XBOX to display at all and it seems to affect the display especially on 1st person shooters (Black Ops 2).

The PS3 connection doesn't require hard setting the resolution and quite happy works with whatever is set on the PS3, this is what I was expecting with the XBOX after purchasing the receiver for the sole purpose of handing both games consoles.

In addition I have tried changing ports on the reciever and get the same issue (i.e plugging the xbox in the ps3 working port).

I'll keep trying, so any other suggestions would be very welcome.

Matt

Check page 59 of your manual (and page 21). If you haven't already done this, the first thing I would do is switch the V.Conv (digital video conversion) to Off. This is mainly for component video sources and isn't needed for your PS3 (which I believe has HDMI as well). If that doesn't work then I would try setting the RES to PURE and then to 1080P. But I'm sure you've already tried those from your previous statements. Lastly, I would set the PCINEMA option to OFF. This may be introducing delays as well. Basically any function that the receiver does to clean up or interpret the video may introduce some lag into your game playing. When you have RES set to 1080P/24P you are basically do frame interpolation on a game signal that should not be interpreted.

For all of these tests, you would have the XBox set to 1080P. It is doing some interpretation as well (given that many games are actually 720P) but it's more or less designed for that.

M

mystrey2010

Audiophyte
V.Impressed your qouting from the manual, unfortunately I have tried all of those and below is the findings...

V.CONV OFF - 1 second display then no signal (no options to change res, pcinema, smoothing etc when off) (this is what I have set for the PS3)
PCINEMA ON/OFF - didn't seem to make any difference.
RES (With the execption of 1080/24P) - 1 second display then no signal.

V.CONV ON RES (1080/24P) - Works, but any XBOX display setting (i.e 720P) upscalled.

* Tomorrow I will try all the HDMI cables I have as I need to tidy up the mess I've made so far installing the amp :)
** It would be good to know if anyone else has this working on this particular AV Receiver

Matt

J

jotham

Audioholic
V.Impressed your qouting from the manual, unfortunately I have tried all of those and below is the findings...

V.CONV OFF - 1 second display then no signal (no options to change res, pcinema, smoothing etc when off) (this is what I have set for the PS3)
PCINEMA ON/OFF - didn't seem to make any difference.
RES (With the execption of 1080/24P) - 1 second display then no signal.

V.CONV ON RES (1080/24P) - Works, but any XBOX display setting (i.e 720P) upscalled.

* Tomorrow I will try all the HDMI cables I have as I need to tidy up the mess I've made so far installing the amp :)
** It would be good to know if anyone else has this working on this particular AV Receiver

Matt
Good luck!! I feel for you, this sounds like a painful mystery. I really hope it turns out to be something simple like an HDMI cable. If you haven't already, you may want to make sure the ARC (audio return channel) is turned off and the Control with HDMI is also turned off. I think Control with HDMI turns off all the risky settings.

Also, you should try changing the Black Level in the XBox 360 menu to standard, intermediate, etc. Those settings may correlate to the need for High Speed HDMI cables. It's possible that one of those settings is more compatible with your setup.

I guess you could also try to update the receiver via ethernet and maybe do a reset to factory settings.

If none of that works, you probably need a different receiver :(

Last edited:
M

mystrey2010

Audiophyte
Many Thanks again for the assist Jotham,
I have tried those setting and no luck, also it's currently using the latest firmware. I've just tried a factory reset and using the supplied AVNavigator software to try the installation and still no joy, also swapped over several different HDMI cables.

I've just spoken to the Customer Services Team as I only bought the receiver the other day for the sole purpose of using both my consoles and providing the added benefit of better encoding and 7.1 surround sound, so far so good as they have agreed I bring in the receiver and XBOX to test in store. As an added check I've also collared one of my mates to bring around their XBOX to rule that out as well.

Hopefully I'll get somewhere and I'll keep this thread alive until resolved one way or another so others know.

Matt

M

mystrey2010

Audiophyte
Ok, no fix found and Richer Sounds have kindly offered to just replace/exchange/refund as it does sound like a problem and impressed by the amount of investigation/tests I have done (with your help of course).

I've been offered a Yamaha RXV-373 for the same price (but, it's only 5.1), but I've also just seen a Onkyo TXNR515 for a little bit more (inc WIFI Adapter).... do you have any preferences?

Matt

UPDATE : Tested the VSX-922-K with the later slim XBOX360, same problem - displays for a second and then no signal.

Last edited:
J

jotham

Audioholic
I would definitely get the onkyo, it has a much more useful feature set and the power capabilities are basically the same as the Yamaha. Just make sure your receiver has room to breathe or at least a fan cooling system.
I'm glad you were able to return the pioneer!

M

mystrey2010

Audiophyte
Many thanks for the help Jotham, going to go for the 515 it's only going to cost me around a extra 20 quid after haggling :)

Plently of room for the reciever and it's only used in my gaming zone so won't be on constently.

Matt

M

mystrey2010

Audiophyte
Own the Onkyo TNXR515 now, up and running with no problems and XBOX now displaying how it should! Many Thanks All.

Matt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis