AV Receiver & Speaker Configuration

K

kiranbeginner

Audioholic Intern
Hai guys,

I am a beginner in this field. I would like to buy a home theater system, initially I was thinking of Bose, but after some browsing, I changed my mind.

Now I am looking for a 7.2 receiver with Dolby Atmos & corresponding speakers.

As everyone, I would like to hear good sound for Music & Movies & of course there is a budget restriction of US $ 2000 - 2300

Your advice would help me a lot........

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Technically, a Dolby Atmos system as you describe would actually be a 9.2 or 11.2 system. You'll need 9 or 11 speakers* and a separate amp channel for each one, not to mention two subwoofers. Good subwoofers aren't cheap.

Here's a primer for Atmos : http://www.crutchfield.com/brands/dolby-atmos.aspx

Either stretch your budget or take comfort that 5 or 7 channels, with one good subwoofer, doesn't suck.

* Some are mounted on top of the other.

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
markw is right. However, there is good news. If you believe the "experts" here, the people for whom home theater is a passion, you CAN put together a respectable 5.1 system for $2300. One that is MUCH better than what you are likely to hear in your local big box store for that money.

K

kiranbeginner

Audioholic Intern
Thanx markw,

Could you suggest any speaker receiver combination like Polk audio with denon or .......

K

kiranbeginner

Audioholic Intern
Herbu,

Onkyo is offering Dolby atoms speakers and receiver package within $2000. Any remarks on that?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Herbu,

Onkyo is offering Dolby atoms speakers and receiver package within $2000. Any remarks on that?
I couldn't find any serious contenders with my search. Could you post a link, or a model number? Buy, as a general thought, I wouldn't apply the adjective "good" to any pre-packaged system.

K

kiranbeginner

Audioholic Intern
Today I came across a Sony HT package here in Brazil. A 7.2 HT -M77.

The speaker ratings are as follows -
2 subwoofers - 250W 4 ohms 100Hz
4 satellites - 216W 6 ohms 1 kHz
2 fronts - 216 W 6 ohms 1 kHz
1 centre - 218 W 6 ohms 1 kHz

I found the receiver is a pretty old model.
The price of this package is almost US Dollar 1400.

Is it advisable to buy this package and can I buy a latest receiver and use this speaker package with that receiver?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I found that system. here it is: http://www.sony.com.au/product/ht-m77

First off, it's not an Atmos system. It's a 7.2 HTIB with all the honors and benefits that entails.

Second, if those subwoofers are useless without that receiver.

And, simply stating the power handling rating of a speaker tells us nothing at all. But, the center, fronts, and satellites SHOULD work with other receivers. No guarantees, though. But, they all appear to be plastic. Not a good sign.

final analysis: I would avoid it and take your 2k budget and apply it to a decent modern 5.1 system.

Last edited:
K

kiranbeginner

Audioholic Intern
Thanx Markw

Will search for other combinations. Problem here in Brazil is there are not much options. The shops hardly know about atmos and dts x.

Buying in US and getting it delivered here in Brazil is a big issue.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Personally, /I'd forget about Atmos for now and concentrate on a great 5 (or 7).1 system.

And, I'm not familiar with what's available in Brasil. You're free to throw some brand names at us and we can offer feedback.

BTW, where are you. My wife's family is from Belem in Para and has land there.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanx Markw

Will search for other combinations. Problem here in Brazil is there are not much options. The shops hardly know about atmos and dts x.

Buying in US and getting it delivered here in Brazil is a big issue.
Like Herbu and Mark telling you - since you're not US and I assume in brazil everything is expensive, US import is prohibitive. I think you should carefully think this one over and consider getting good 5.1 instead. HTIB like Sony above or Onkyo are NOT good options. They have no upgrade path.
Especially with that sony system. Onkyo is a bit less guity of that, but not much.

Keep in mind - Getting speakers 2nd hand would save you a lot of money.

markw is right. However, there is good news. If you believe the "experts" here, the people for whom home theater is a passion, you CAN put together a respectable 5.1 system for $2300. One that is MUCH better than what you are likely to hear in your local big box store for that money.
Personally, /I'd forget about Atmos for now and concentrate on a great 5 (or 7).1 system.

And, I'm not familiar with what's available in Brasil. You're free to throw some brand names at us and we can offer feedback.

BTW, where are you. My wife's family is from Belem in Para and has land there.

K

kiranbeginner

Audioholic Intern
Like Herbu and Mark telling you - since you're not US and I assume in brazil everything is expensive, US import is prohibitive. I think you should carefully think this one over and consider getting good 5.1 instead. HTIB like Sony above or Onkyo are NOT good options. They have no upgrade path.
Especially with that sony system. Onkyo is a bit less guity of that, but not much.

Keep in mind - Getting speakers 2nd hand would save you a lot of money.
I am in Brasilia

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
that's a pretty big city. You should have some options there.

K

kiranbeginner

Audioholic Intern
Will search for more options here & will get back for expert comments & advice...

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
At your budget I would look for good 5.1 setup. Or even 5.0 setup to start with and get sub later, thats what I have done, getting the sub when I can spare money for it. Getting good 5.1 setup is much better than any cheap 7.2/atmos/what ever setup.

K

kiranbeginner

Audioholic Intern
Hai guys,

How is this combination with a DenonAVR X1200?

CMT-340 SE mains 1 $568.00
HTM-200 SE pair 1 $253.30
CMT-340 SE center 1 $298.00
Rythmik LV12R Servo Sub, black oak 1 $569.00

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Hai guys,

How is this combination with a DenonAVR X1200?

CMT-340 SE mains 1 $568.00
HTM-200 SE pair 1 $253.30
CMT-340 SE center 1 $298.00
Rythmik LV12R Servo Sub, black oak 1 $569.00
Unless you have an extremely large listening room, I think you'll be veeeeery happy with that combo. Have you figured in shipping to Brasil?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis