AV Receiver Set Up Guide: Setting Crossover, Distance, Level, and EQ

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Have a hot new AV receiver in your hands, but no idea how to get everything up and running optimally? Fret not; in this article the Audioholics go over the critical settings for getting the best sound, including bass management, distance, level matching, and equalization and more. Have a AV receiver with an auto-calibration system like Audyssey MultEQ or Yamaha's YPAO? We've got tips to help you get the most out of those systems as well. Click to keep reading and be sure to watch our youtube video!

Discuss "AV Receiver Set Up Guide: Setting Crossover, Distance, Level, and EQ" here. Read the article.

Wellz

Wellz

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the great video Marshall! Is there any chance that you guys can do a video on how to you the MCACC Pro calibration software from Pioneer? I've used a few different AVR's over the years all most of which came with either the Audyssey, YPAO, ACCU EQ, and now MCACC. I find that all of these try to do the samething but they don't all have the same amount of USER control over what can be tweaked. I would be nice to have a video or write up that goes over the different features and how they could be or should be used.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
We haven't had a pioneer receiver in for a while, but next time I get my hands on one, I'll pay close attention to the MCACC use and results. That said, the manual should offer a step by step on how to use the auto setup. For instance, with the VSX-1130-K, page 50 of the manual details using a web browser/app to complete basic setup. Page 58 describes using the included microphone to setup MCACC, and page 73 describes how to switch between the preset MCACC memory positions. Enjoy your system.

Wellz

Wellz

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for replying Marshall. Although the manual does contain some information, it is not well written. Take for instance the current speaker configuration options listwd for the 9 channel Dolby atmos SC-95. They lists all possibilities except a 5.2.4! One has to figure out that in order to get to 5.2.4 you have to first select 7.2.4 , then you have to let the unit figure out during the calibration that the back surrounds don't exist... all that confusion and that's just the speaker configuration! I've done my best to go through the manual and I'm still doing so. Much like you, I too recommend everyone read the manual. Nonetheless it would be nice to see a review and breakdown of these different calibration softwares, maybe even detailing the strengths and weaknesses of each.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis