AV Receiver Questions Before Purchase

Johnn1430

Johnn1430

Audiophyte
I am looking so some help putting together my first av system for my home. Currently I have not purchased any equipment. What I want is a 5.1 with a turntable. The first piece I want to purchase is an AV receiver that has built in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth,and phono input.
So far the only receiver in my budget I've seen that offers this is the 7.2 Onkyo 838 ($800ish). There are a lot of mixed reviews on it and I don't want to pay for an extra 2.1 channels if I'm not going to use them.
Is there a 5.1 receiver with those options out there that I haven't found yet or is the better option to get a less expensive 5.1 with built in wireless and Bluetooth and a separate pre-amp to power the turntable.
Any help that is given is greatly appreciated or if there is a better way to go about this I'm all ears. Thank you

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Receivers with built-in phono preamps are as rare as buggy whips nowadays. You'll make your life a lot simpler on concentrating on finding a receiver with the other features and buying a separate phono pre.

Keep in mind that a lot of features are "bundled" into the receiver and to get all the features you want, you maybe looking at 7.7 receivers anyway, and mid to upper line ones at that.

Johnn1430

Johnn1430

Audiophyte
Thanks warlord and ninja. I am still pretty green with all of this, would I also need an amplifier to go along with the preamp to get the most out of turntable and speakers? Or does that all depend on the receiver and speakers I get?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks warlord and ninja. I am still pretty green with all of this, would I also need an amplifier to go along with the preamp to get the most out of turntable and speakers? Or does that all depend on the receiver and speakers I get?
The preamp amplifies the signal from non USB turntables to output levels that of a CD player, cable box, VCR etc. so any AVR will be able to accept that as input.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis