AV receiver for superior sound with 2 tower speakers

G

godeipt

Audiophyte
Hi there,

First time poster here looking for some advice.

I had a 1980s stereo receiver and I am looking to upgrade for an A/V receiver that will give me excellent sound.
Here are some more info on what I am looking for

1. Excellent two channel sound (two tower speakers) - We will very likely never need a 5.1-7.1 surround sound system. Great sound is very important to my gf and I.
2. HDMI input (we do not have a TV yet but plan on buying one in the future).
3. Possibly a phono input for the turntable (alghouth I realize this is rare and can buy a phono preamp).
4. Bluetooth or network capability to stream from phone/pc

That's pretty much it! Sound quality is the most important factor and as I said we only really plan on having a 2.1 setup.

Any suggestions for us? :)

Thanks!

G

godeipt

Audiophyte
Thanks for the suggestions zieglj01! The Marantz looks great indeed. I was wondering if if was worth having the whole 7 channels since we'll only use two? I read about the HK 3490 which is built for quality 2 channel audio and has a phono preamp. The problem with it is the lack of hdmi input, which I'd rather have for when we get a flatscreen in the near future, and the lack of bluetooth, though I can get an adapter for that.

I take your point regarding the speakers and we are looking to upgrade those as well. I previously had an entry-level system with a vintage stereo receiver and two Infinity Primus P363 floorstanding speakers.

pg_rider, about 500-600$ is the max we'd like to spend. Hoping to take advantage of some of the post-xmas deals that are still on!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
$600 budget you're not going find much better AVR that the marantz 6007. You can save $200 by getting it officially refurbished (with official warranty for 1 year) here:
MARANTZ SR6007 4K & 3D 110w x7 Networking Home Theater Receiver | Accessories4less

And yes, you will be getting more important features with 7.1 avr than stripped down two channel which is much lesser value. So like on Porsche carrera s it would cost EXTRA to remove standard equipment AC so is on the AVRs - getting rid of features will make it more expensive, but not add any real benefit to you

Primus 363 are nice speakers, but they are far from real reference levels. Then you are ready to swap these. Go to audio stores and listen to as many different speakers as possible.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the suggestions zieglj01! The Marantz looks great indeed. I was wondering if if was worth having the whole 7 channels since we'll only use two? I read about the HK 3490 which is built for quality 2 channel audio and has a phono preamp. The problem with it is the lack of hdmi input, which I'd rather have for when we get a flatscreen in the near future, and the lack of bluetooth, though I can get an adapter for that.

I take your point regarding the speakers and we are looking to upgrade those as well. I previously had an entry-level system with a vintage stereo receiver and two Infinity Primus P363 floorstanding speakers.

pg_rider, about 500-600$ is the max we'd like to spend. Hoping to take advantage of some of the post-xmas deals that are still on!
For HDMI on a receiver, you generally need a surround receiver - 5.1 or 7.1 is
not that big a difference except for maybe price point > and you never know,
you may change your mind in the future.

AC4L has refurb prices on Marantz and Yamaha receivers, and also good prices
on Focal V series speakers
Home Theater Receivers | Accessories4less

Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices!

G

godeipt

Audiophyte
That Marantz looks pretty sweet indeed for 599$ refurbished! Unfortunately they don't ship to Canada... and new it's 1299$. :( Yikes!

pg_rider

pg_rider

Audioholic
Is there a consensus feeling on any risks in purchasing refurb components? It kind of seems TGTBT...
I bought my refurbished Denon X4000 from A4L in December and so far it's been flawless. Paid $799 shipped and it includes a warranty -- not gonna beat that kind of deal....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis