AV Receiver Confusion- Denon,Marantz

E

emason17

Audioholic Intern
Forgive me, for this is my first post on here but I have been reading for awhile.

I am looking for an AV receiver around $1k that will run all of the following components: 1. New Pioneer plasma TV that does not have tuner included with HDMI, 2. DVD/CD player to be purchased with set, 3. Tivo, 4. XBOX.

After doing a tad bit of research, I found out that the best choice would be the ARCAM AVR300, but I am not willing to pay $2K for it.

So, the three final AV receivers that I am looking at are the DENON 3805, the Marantz SR7500, and the Harman/Kardon AVR635.

If there is one of these that stand out, have some advantage over the other two, or if there is one that I am not considering but should, please mention. I appreciate the advice.

E

emason17

Audioholic Intern
In addition...

I will be running Martin Logan fronts (frescos) and and SVS sub with this receiver.

Because I will not have the opportunity to hear them side by side or do not see a site that reviews all three equally, I am counting on you guys. If anyone has heard them or knows that I might need another component out or anything (optical, etc.), please mention.

Last edited:
crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
I don't think you could go wrong with any of the 3. They are all quality units. I would do some checking into the impedence curves of your speakers to ensure they don't dip into the 2 ohm range at high freq. like some other Martin Logans do. If they do, you may be looking at purchasing an outboard power amp as well as an A/V receiver. I don't think any of the units you listed would be very happy running a 2 ohm load for very long.

What are you using right now to run your electrostatics?

E

emason17

Audioholic Intern
purchasing everything as a system

Everything will be purchased at roughly the same time. The "fresco" speaker is mounted on the wall so is atypical of Martin Logans. But they do sound quite good.

Z

Zarg

Junior Audioholic
Can't Go Wrong

Your "short list" is very good and I'm sure that whatever receiver you choose will sound great.

For the record, I'm a Denon 3805 owner -- Audioholic's "Receiver of the Year" (2004). It sounds great! If you pick it, you should love the results.

But I have a few negative impressions as well -- the remote control is notoriously problematic. See many other threads on this forum for details.

Similiarly, the remote set up and EQ function is, by nearly all accounts (including my own personal experience), not accurate. If you plan on using an SPL meter and doing a manual set up and balance, that will not be a problem. But if you're planning to rely on the receiver (and pay the additional $65 for the Denon mic) then you may be disappointed.

All in all, you can't go wrong -- I just wanted to apprise you of some very minor drawbacks to the Denon. I can't comment on the other receivers.

Regards

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Not sure what you mean by "running", but none of those receivers has an HDMI (or DVI) monitor out AFAIK.

Mort

E

emason17

Audioholic Intern
hdmi

Mort,

I know that none do have HDMI, but those receivers are much too "premium-priced" for me at this point. I was thinking that I would run HDMI from my cable box to the plasma, but am not really sure how the rest of the connections would work on any of the three receivers or if they would be any different.

Thanks for the point though.

E

R

Red

Audioholic
E,

Like Zarg, I am also a Denon 3805 and couldn't be happier with it. I connect my cable box via DVI directly to my plasma monitor. DVD through component cable to the Denon then component cable out to the monitor. At this time I do not have Tivo, Xbox PS2 etc (perhaps later) but there are still 2 available component inputs on the receiver so you wouldn't have any switching issues hooking your Tivo and xbox to the available component inputs on the receiver.

Red

M

Mobius

Junior Audioholic
Looking on Pioneers web site it seems that all of the newer plasmas have 2 hdmi inputs which is cool. You can use both your cable/satellite box with DVI/HDMI and your new DVD players HDMI.

Really out of those receivers they should all be great. Do you care if your components match? Some poeple do some don't, I ask because I hardly ever hear anything about HK DVD players. With the Denon & Marantz they make very nice DVD players, I'd say of these two brands Denon has the more popular DVD players. Pioneer Elite would also be a nice setup for a receiver (56txi) and dvd player (59avi).

The 3805 is the oldest unit of the 3 you have listed but I think feature wise they are all basically the same. The Denon does have the D-Link option for multi-channel music and I don't believe any have firewire, except the Elite I mentioned. The remote for the Denon does seem to have a lot of issues if that matters to you and the extra cost of the mic was a bone head move on Denons part in my opinion.

E

emason17

Audioholic Intern
hdmi

How important is purchasing a hdmi DVD player? I was not considering that previously because my tivo has a dvd player attached to it (toshiba). If the quality is that much better, maybe I should reconsider.

G

genesis471

Audioholic
I also have the 3805, and very very impressed with it. You say you have a Hitachi DVD player? If it is low-end, I'd supplement your system with something like the Denon 3910, if you can afford to. I had the 3805 for a while and it wasn't until I ditched the cheap dvd players for the 3910 that I was completely blown away. I had no idea that a dvd player could provide that much better results (audio). Its like the 3805 was being held back! The picture is better too in my opinion.
Oh, the 3910 has HDMI and DVI output!

Mike

E

emason17

Audioholic Intern
marantz vs denon summation

From what I have read and heard, the denon 3805 is more popular, has a cheaper dvd, more inputs, and a cool but faulty remote and the Marantz 7500 has a warmer sound, more expensive dvd, and is similar otherwise.

Does anyone else have any additions to this summation?

R

Redbone

Audioholic
What about the Yamaha RX-V2500 it has gotten outstanding reviews??

E

emason17

Audioholic Intern
higher end

Now I am having greater issues. I have bumped my price range up a tad to $1500. So, the Marantz sr-8500 looks like a perfect option, especially with dvi options all over the place. Also I looked at an HK that seemed to work for that as well. . .

M

marky

Junior Audioholic
Try the HK 7300. Great receiver with loads of power and inputs. it can be had for 1300- 1400 now. nice warm and clean sound.

R

roland61970

Enthusiast
I'm in the same boat with the selection.

The Marantz is my current leaning.

I like the fact that the yamaha 2500 states 4 ohm capacity. Also the Denon 3805 has excellent reviews.

But the Marantz 8500 is the only <2K reciever that I have seen with dvi switching.

The Pioneer 56ti has significantly less inputs, and the HK7300 is out of the price range. Dropping down to the hk635 could be an option.

M

marky

Junior Audioholic
The HK 7300 went down in price. J&R has it for 1500 and i think onecall has it for less than that!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis