Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'd like my next system to be components. I want to get my hands on a Emotiva UPA-7 or some equivalent setup. I really only need a 5 channel amp, but I would take a UPA-7 if I can get one.

The processing duties, however, leave me at a loss. I thought the UMC-1 would be a better processor, but it just seems like there are issues I don't want to deal with.

Media streaming duties are handled by network attached devices so I'm not worried about one that can do that. I mainly need a processor that can handle my inputs, output to an amp, and give me all the goodies. DTS-MA, good upscaling for low res sources. I guess that's really all that is critical.

Thoughts? Ideally I wouldn't spend more than $2k between the pre and amp, but I also won't have the ideal listening environment in the new house anyway so I don't need top of the line. Just good, reliable, and with the right AV features. Feel free to throw me some general recommendations and I'll do further research.

Currently running an Onkyo NR906 with Def Tech speakers as shown in sig block.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd like my next system to be components. I want to get my hands on a Emotiva UPA-7 or some equivalent setup. I really only need a 5 channel amp, but I would take a UPA-7 if I can get one.

The processing duties, however, leave me at a loss. I thought the UMC-1 would be a better processor, but it just seems like there are issues I don't want to deal with.

Media streaming duties are handled by network attached devices so I'm not worried about one that can do that. I mainly need a processor that can handle my inputs, output to an amp, and give me all the goodies. DTS-MA, good upscaling for low res sources. I guess that's really all that is critical.

Thoughts? Ideally I wouldn't spend more than $2k between the pre and amp, but I also won't have the ideal listening environment in the new house anyway so I don't need top of the line. Just good, reliable, and with the right AV features. Feel free to throw me some general recommendations and I'll do further research.

Currently running an Onkyo NR906 with Def Tech speakers as shown in sig block.
Just to be clear - why not keep onkyo and use pre-outs to amp? Is anything wrong with it? I looks like it already has all the features you need
do you feel you must have HDMI 1.4 ??
ps: UPA-7 was discontinued, I think XPA-5 is next best option

OR ATI AT2000, Or Outlaw 7700 if you're really Mr. Big Spender :D

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I've had the AV7005 for a while now and it was a nice upgrade from my Onkyo 885. It has all the features you described and does have some nice network features like Pandora and internet radio which would be a bonus. The run around $1500 so it would be under your budget.

The only issues I have heard about using emotiva amps has been with the balanced connections on the XPA-5's. The have very high gain which causes some funky issues with Audyssey.

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
Your 906 has one of the best amps in an AVR of late. It doesn't have the latest processing capabilities but just what does it not do that you need done? You could upgrade to separates but I doubt you'll notice much difference in sound quality.

I have a UPA-7 amp and Integra DHC 40.1 processor. While they do sound great I keep thinking I could have bought an Onkyo 300x or 500x and had a smaller setup and lost nothing in the process. In fact I'd have a better version of Audyssey.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
For real world applications especially for 2 channel music listening the 906 should be more powerful than the upa-7. I honestly do not see gains there except for a few new features offered in the latest prepro. It may be better to save up for a real upgrade, or spend the 2K on a new AVR such as the Yamaha 3010 or Dennon 4311 and then add a XPA-2 down the road if you are really itchy for more power. People who switched from an entry level prepro such as the AV7005 to an AVR such as the 4311 don't seem to have any regrets.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
For real world applications especially for 2 channel music listening the 906 should be more powerful than the upa-7. I honestly do not see gains there except for a few new features offered in the latest prepro. It may be better to save up for a real upgrade, or spend the 2K on a new AVR such as the Yamaha 3010 or Dennon 4311 and then add a XPA-2 down the road if you are really itchy for more power. People who switched from an entry level prepro such as the AV7005 to an AVR such as the 4311 don't seem to have any regrets.
I agree, the Yamaha A3010 or the Denon 4311 are both very stable HD AVR.
I have had very good service life from both of my Yamaha AVR(2400 is a 2003 model still going). I too wanted the UMC-1 when my Onkyo 805 HD AVR fried parts a 3rd time. But I read so much about switching issues with the HDMI on the UMC-1 so I with with another HD AVR again.so far the Yamaha has been a plug and play. I was going to purchase a Emotiva 200X5 amp but after watching Bluray HD audio and just stero music I use my Yamaha amps.. Klipsch speakers don't need huge amps :) saved me some $$. Shame as I posted on a different thread I really wanted the UMC-1 and the 200X5 amp and go back seperates. If you do use either as a Pre/Pro you can use a SPL meter and adjust the gain in the Advanced Set Up after running Yamaha's YPAO (Audssey) my Onko had it and I cound Not hear a bit of difference, but I have to really tweak my speakers to get the old and new Klipsch to match for HT Bluray HD audio. Good Luck with what ever brand you go with.

Nemo128

Nemo128

I think I'll just stay with the 906. I've had problems finding a suitable vertical cabinet that doesn't cost more than the receiver itself, so that's my new search.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Upgraditis bug?:D

Well, if you just wanted separates (pre-pro + amp):

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARAV7005/Marantz-AV7005-Networking-AV-Preamp/Processor/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARMM7055/Marantz-MM7055-5-Channel-Power-Amplifier/1.html

Oops, looks like that amp is out of stock, but you could always wait for them to restock. :D

They sure look nice aesthetically together. :D

Nemo, if you could get both the AV7005 & MM7005 brand new from an authorized dealer for $2K total, would you? :D

Last edited:
Nemo128

Nemo128

Upgraditis bug?:D

Nemo, if you could get both the AV7005 & MM7005 brand new from an authorized dealer for $2K total, would you? :D
I think that's it, just the bug biting. Probably better to save the money and devote it to what the woman really wants (Def Tech XTR setup to replace current).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think that's it, just the bug biting. Probably better to save the money and devote it to what the woman really wants (Def Tech XTR setup to replace current).
That's the smart thing to do.:D

The Onkyo 906 is a fine unit.

But the grass is always greener on the other side, huh?:D

Even if you have the Denon AVP-A1HDCI or Anthem or Cary Audio or whatever, the grass is always greener....:D

Same thing with speakers and everything else in life.:D

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
I know... I have the same problem. I wanted the same seperates as you as 200X5 would be Great for my HT system. Shame the UMC-1 Still has HDMI connecting issues. I have had tubes several times back in the day and keep thinking about going back. Darn AVR just works so good for my very small room and from my sig. you can see old Klipsch don't need huge amps. The way todays ecomony is.Save the $$ and wait, you have a good AVR unless you are in Huge room stay "pat"....... IMHO.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Yeah, right now I have to devote my efforts to finding a cabinet, selling all my current Def Tech speakers, getting Def Tech XTR speakers and 2 Hsu STF-1 subs. That should handle our needs until we buy another house with a dedicated mancave. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis