Aux vs rca splitter

D

Droogne

Junior Audioholic
Any cons to using an aux splitter to connect a source to 2 amps? Or would a rca splitter be wiser? Also can I use my headphone amp, which has 2 aux outputs, to do this?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Any cons to using an aux splitter to connect a source to 2 amps? Or would a rca splitter be wiser? Also can I use my headphone amp, which has 2 aux outputs, to do this?
I have no idea what you are asking, and I highly doubt anyone else does either.

You will get no response that makes sense until your question does.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
What is an "aux splitter"? I've never heard that term and I've been in this hobby for more than fifty years.

to answer what I THINK you're asking, you can split an output into the inputs of two amps with yer basic "Y" connector. You should not, however, use one of them to combine signals.

D

Droogne

Junior Audioholic
Sorry be this vague, but we use the term aux splitter for an audio/headphone splitter (with 3.5mm jacks). And yes you are correct markw, that was indeed what I was implying. Am I correct to asume you are saying you can not combine 2 audio inputs into 1 amp, but that you can however use one audio input for 2 amps (which was my question).
What I mean with an rca splitter is a cable/device which has 1 rca input and several outputs to connect to amplifiers. Would this result in better sound?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Am I correct to asume you are saying you can not combine 2 audio inputs into 1 amp, but that you can however use one audio input for 2 amps (which was my question).
Again, I'm confused here. I'll try to restate what I tried to say as simply as possible.

you can split an output into two inputs.

You cannot combine two outputs into one input.

D

Droogne

Junior Audioholic
Again, I'm confused here. I'll try to restate what I tried to say as simply as possible.

you can split an output into two inputs.

You cannot combine two outputs into one input.
Just out of curiousity, would it work if I'd use this to split the audio to two devices? (more info: http://goo.gl/k2rg3n) while connecting 2 "aux to rca" cables to hook up an active subwoofer and a regular amp? No idea why this wouldnt work (it does when connecting amp + headphone) Love to hear your input ;)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
that's a headphone amp. sorry, I'm totally lost as to what you want.

I've explained what I think you originally asked as simply as possible. I can't really break it down any more.

D

Droogne

Junior Audioholic
Yes it is an headphone amp that has two outputs and 1 input. So splitter + headphone amp.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you are trying to feed two inputs on an amplifier from a single source, get a splitter. If your sources comes from a 3.5mm output, then get a 3.5mm splitter.

If your source comes from RCA connections, then get RCA splitters.

You keep talking about what is in the middle. You really need to talk more about your source, and the two amplifiers.

Traditional RCA connections you get a couple of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YRA-104-Dual-RCAF-Y-Cable/dp/B000068O4Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1467123839&sr=8-3&keywords=rca+splitter

I would not use something that amplifies the signal unless it is a true audio distribution amp designed to maintain 0dB throughout the process.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis