Authorized vs Internet/Refurb vs new/6.1 vs 7.1

U

Unregistered

Great site. I've finally decided to make the leap into the 21st century and actually get an AV receiver for the house and I've found lots of great information here. The unit is going in a living room (15'x20') and is going to be used for both music (via a Windows server with an M-Audi Delta 66 sound card) and movies. It will also drive a second zone in the family room, so dual zone is very important.

I've spent a lot of time researching and reading reviews/listening, and have narrowed my choices to either a Pioneer Elite VSX 54TX or 52TX, or a factory refurbished JVC RX-DP10V (I know it's a JVC, but the user feedback I have seen on this unit has been stellar) from an Authorized JVC seller. Here is my question. The 54 TX is available in the high $600's via the internet (no warranty) and probably out of my price range at a local dealer. The JVC comes with a 90 day warranty from JVC and can be upgraded to 3-years parts and labor for under a hundred bucks.

Do any of you have any thoughts/recommendations/experience on which route is better? You're also welcome to put in your two-cents on alternative products too. One thing that I was thinking about was to go with a really high quality 6.1 instead of a 7.1 and save some bucks there. Any help/advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

M

Mario Carneiro

For $600 buy a yamaha rxv-750 7.1 receiver new with warranty from yamaha.

U

Unregistered

Rx-v750

Thanks for the reply. So you feel the V750 is a solid product?

M

Mario Carneiro

I have the rxv-650, it's like the 750 but don't have phono and don't convert from s-video to component video, it´s a nice receiver, very easy to setup. strong power suply.

my setup:

yamaha rxv-650

main speakers - Tannoy sensys DC1

Central channel - Celestion F35c

Surround speakers - Celestion F10 (pair)

Back Surround Speakers - Celestion F10 (Pair)

Subwoofer - yamaha SW315

Sorry my english it´s not very good....

Mario

A

absame

Audiophyte
In that price range with Yamaha you could get the Rx-v1400 with a warranty. The 1500/2500 is coming out in a few weeks, the remaining 1400/2400s are being discounted. Just picked up a 1400 this week

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis